Subject: A lion's lessons - Breaking the Siege rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I. Hate. Red. Cavalry.

They are everywhere! Of course i placed the little fish on the right side, where i
could hope to hold him thanks to Gregor. As it turned out, i did not matter at all.
On the first turn, Stark had his left hand cavalry head down and kill the guys
riding with Adam. My counter attack just produced some morale results and send
them back, but on the next turn they came again and captured Adam.

That’s when the killing began.

My left flank could scarcely be ordered at all, Starks were burning and looting
and killing. Gregor managed to hold the place for some time, the central siege
engines fell, Tullys were joining and my last few men were soon surrounded.

Gregor dealt some last heavy blows, but in the end he was even driven off the
prisoner due to an morale result. It was an overwhleming victory for Stark,
having burned most siege engines, freed the captive, captured Adam and nearly
routed the lannister host.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this one. It sounds brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It indeed felt brutal.
But number 9 and 10 were far better and i don't just say this because i won them (session reports will come soon). Number 9 was a very close one, and very interesting, too.
Number ten was a win a little more clear, but still complex and interesting and balanced, with many many strategic decisions to make. The game was the longest we played so far, with six turns full of thinking.

So, even if this one felt a little unbalanced, it pays to not loose hope And this might even have been more of a fight if Adam hat been around long enough to do a little commanding out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Jan here. Even though I (as the Stark player) agree that scenario 7 and 8 seem to favor Stark, I'm not convinced that this leads to an automatic win. We seem to gain more experience and insight into tactics and using the rules to the best effect with each game played, and at some time we will certainly replay these two. Some things can have very "interesting" effect on a battle, for example carefully choosing the direction you attack from, for a chance of "pushing" the opponent to a unfavorable location with morale results. Teasing the opponent to attack soft targets (but which don't further his win condition) can also work. Cutting off commanders from their forces, etc. I'm really not sure that I'll win these next time, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an image from round 3, IIRC. Lannister must have rallied Gregor once to get him where he is. Gregor is flanked by the Greatjon, and Kevan is engaged by the first Tully-reinforcement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got completed routed by my sixth-grader riding his red cavalry to capture Marbrand early, break my lines, and rescue the prisoner (via pursue).

We're playing again today. Strategy tips, anyone?

I'm going to run Marbrand behind the center, park Clegane on the prisoner, and pull the green units behind the blue to give them a fighting chance with stalwart.

But sheesh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mini-report: it almost worked. Starks win 13-12. Pulled back to form a line from Clegane guarding Edmure down and left to the siege engines with Marbrand hiding behind the center.

Robb broke through the middle and I was baited into sending Marbrand to flank and completely surround him on six sides with a combined attack which fell one red shield short. Then Marbrand was captured and it fell apart. So close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many units did take part in the combined attack?
Adam was leading it? That way, red, valor and morale were hits, not bad. Did you remeber Adams commit ability, to add one morale result, which is a hit against a completely surrounded Robb? Or did you use that before?

This sounds great to me so far, seems like there is actually hope for Lannister
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lannister4live wrote:
This sounds great to me so far, seems like there is actually hope for Lannister

Did you just ask for a replay? Choose the time and place, and may the better house win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpowers wrote:
Mini-report: it almost worked. Starks win 13-12. Pulled back to form a line from Clegane guarding Edmure down and left to the siege engines with Marbrand hiding behind the center.

Robb broke through the middle and I was baited into sending Marbrand to flank and completely surround him on six sides with a combined attack which fell one red shield short. Then Marbrand was captured and it fell apart. So close.

Awesome! And this post illustrates how tactics, rather than card draws, rule this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm remembering correctly, I only had two units left to order, Marbrand and a green unit. I had the card where both units would attack as blue, Robb was engaged so both would flank combined, Marbrand was indeed mounted, Robb would be surrounded so morale would count as hits, and finally yes Marbrand's ability.

All that, and still came up one short after the reroll. That would have been a game-changer.

Feels like the Kobayashi Maru of Westeros, but loved it, still.

Lannister had 4VP for Edmure, plus 3VP for siege engines, plus 5VPs for defeated units (two were Tully).

Make sure to keep your blue units between your green units and the red cavalry and just try to keep them alive in a line and hold the center for five turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lannister4live wrote:
... Adam was leading it? That way, red, valor and morale were hits, not bad.

Just reread this - why would they hit on valor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mounted against mounted. That's the only Lannister mounted unit. All of the rest are infantry that don't hit with valor against mounted which makes this red cavalry scenario particularly challenging.

Are you about to say that we'd lose that ability on a combined attack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if any units involved in a coordinated attack cannot hit cavalry on valor, then valor results are not scored as hits for that coordinated attack against cavalry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yes, sorry, in a coordinated attack, hits on valor count only if _all_ units taking part would hit on valor. My fault. So with 5 dice flanking against red, with morale counting as hits, thats 6% to get four hits, 26% to get at least three and commit Adam for the last one, if i got this right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lannister4live wrote:
Oh, yes, sorry, in a coordinated attack, hits on valor count only if _all_ units taking part would hit on valor. My fault. So with 5 dice flanking against red, with morale counting as hits, thats 6% to get four hits, 26% to get at least three and commit Adam for the last one, if i got this right.

So, yeah, I wonder if maybe that forward Stark Red Cavalry should be removed? I guess we should get a few more experienced voices on this issue before deciding that the Scenario should be tweaked for balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan and me just played this once more, and let's just say that we are quite satisfied with the balance of this scenario. This is of course just a teaser before you get the session report

I've also come away (not for the first time) extremely impressed by the scenario design. Even the details are quite deliberate and everything works together to give each side its chance (e.g. the morale track). Makes me wonder if I have overlooked something in the scenarios which I consider too unbalanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic! Can't wait to see the report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.