$10.00
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right from the moment when I first saw the ponies on the box cover of My Little Pony Hide & Seek and felt an immediate sense of inner peace, I knew that this game was special.

Published by Milton Bradley, My Little Pony Hide & Seek pretends to be a spot-the-difference game for children aged 3 and up, with a My Little Pony theme. But the old saying that you shouldn't judge a game by its cover could never be more true than it is here. As part of an innovative viral marketing campaign, the publisher has opted to publish a very complex game under the cover of cute juvenile artwork, in order to minimize the revolutionary impact it would otherwise have on modern board-gaming. Beneath the surface lies a very deep game that serious gamers will come to appreciate and love for its fresh, diverse, and well-themed mechanics, along with its fluffy components.

This game has real potential to make a big impact here on BGG, and I can see it getting into the BGG Top 100 in very short order, and having a positive influence on the lives of gamers around the world. So let's have a look at what makes it so great.

Strengths

So what has this game done for me, and what can it do for you?

Educational. In addition to developing one's ability to memorize, it also trains concentration, broadens vocabulary, and aids speech fluency. This is in the BGG description of the game, so it must be true. These are essential skills that are important for almost all gamers to master.
Cures analysis paralysis. My step-brother played this game just once, and was immediately cured of the debilitating analysis paralysis that had afflicted him for years. There's good reason to think it can do the same for the people in your gaming group.
Improves thinking in other games. During particularly intense moments of analysis paralysis in other games, images of the ponies in My Little Pony Hide&Seek flash through my mind. In this highly enlightened state I'm able to make clearer and quicker decisions under pressure. So it actually has potential to help you when playing other games. I heartily recommend this game for this powerful therapeutic effect alone.
Immersive theme. My mom saw the box cover of this game, and couldn't speak for 3 hours afterward, she was so overcome by the emotion of it all. Now that's what I call an immersive and powerful theme.
Balance. The absence of luck and player elimination, along with a quick play time and healthy interaction without being too confrontational are all hallmarks of an outstanding euro. While you won't find any of these qualities in this game, you won't miss them either. I can't think of any other game which gets this balance so right.
Dexterity variant. The dexterity variant is amazing. Sadly I've not received permission from the designer to post anything about this variant publicly. But it is just amazing. I mean, just think about the potential: Little Ponies and dexterity. Wow!
Spouse friendly. Gamers are always looking for the perfect two-player game to play with your spouse. This is that game - even if you don't have a spouse. I know a single guy who had never been out of his mother's basement for the last 7 years, and he got married in less than two weeks after he first played this game. I wasn't able to go to the wedding because his wife was from Russia or Ukraine or something, but still, it just goes to show the power of the Little Ponies. I should also mention that his twin brother enjoys the game as a two-player game even though he doesn't have a spouse or any friends. So it's spouse friendly and non-spouse friendly, really, which is even better than being just spouse-friendly.
Weight-loss. My neighbour's overweight girlfriend lost 38kg by playing My Little Pony Hide&Seek once a week over a 3 month period, and she was recently offered to do a photo shoot for a fashion magazine. She attributes her success to playing this game.
Components. The components have fluffy bits. You just have to look at the box cover to see the fluffy tail and manes. The horses don't really have much chrome, which is a bit of a pity because we gamers do tend to like chrome in our games, but the fluffy bits make up for that. I can't think of any other games in my collection that have fluffy bits, really. So top marks for the components.

Weaknesses

So what are the down-sides to this game?

It doesn't come with batteries. Now admittedly, it doesn't actually need batteries. But you have to admit that it would be better if it did come with batteries. But I suppose they had to make some compromises to put "Age 3 and up" on the box.
It's non-microwavable. There is the very rare occasion where you need to microwave a game, or even just some game components (basement flooding comes to mind). Unfortunately, under no circumstances can you microwave Little Ponies. While the ponies themselves are allergic to water and get slippery when wet, this can result in permanent damage when microwaved in this condition.
It contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. The manufacturer hasn't listed all the materials used to produce this game on the box or in the rulebook. But we have inside information that confirms that some non-tobacco materials were used to manufacture this game. Again, this is not a big issue, but it is something to be aware of.
Risk of nausea and dizziness. Some people have reported experiencing nausea and dizziness after playing this game. If this happens, you should discontinue using the game, and consider consulting a physician. Alternatively, you may first wish to check the prescription of your glasses, the adequacy of your interior lighting, or whether your pants size is too small.
Can't be used with aqualungs or electric toasters. A friend of my brother's cousin chose to ignore this, and the morning after playing the game he woke up up in a hotel room in a tub of ice and discovered that his left kidney was missing. Consider yourself warned. Personally I'd play it safe, and wouldn't recommend using this game in combination with an aqualung or an electric toaster.
There's no miniature red plastic firetrucks. I know this for sure because I checked the game carefully inside and out, and I couldn't find any miniature red plastic firetrucks. This is really inexcusable, because it's a known fact that miniature red plastic firetrucks make games substantially better. Fortunately the strengths of this game more than make up for this.

But despite some of these negatives, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this game, because most of them don't have a significant impact on gameplay as such.

What do others think?

Here's what others are saying about this ground-breaking game:

"MLPH&S is the greatest game published since chess was created. Can't go wrong. I own 5 copies!" - David Wilt
"A masterpiece of design. Loads of interesting decisions. Graphic design and theme immersion is unmatched in other pony games." - Jason Spears
"Probably the best pony game out there." - col_w
"What a glorious example of the height of our human existence." - tickmanfan
"The problem with most pony games is either you don't have full control over the ponies or they are just too big. MY Little Ponies Hide & Seek really has done wonders with fixing these problems that have plagued pony games for centuries." - thoia
"The best, most immersive, brain-burner out there. I thought I loved Brass. I was wrong." - Samantha RD
"Mere words cannot describe this game." - SuperChutney
"The only game with miniature equine sufficiency." - Joe Huber
"I've decided to sell all of my other games. The only board game I'll ever need to play again is this one." - Nate Rethorn
"Not seen any good game in Essen 2011, but now discovered this. Saved my year!!!" - Friedemann Friese
"If you could only own just ONE pony game, THIS should be it. Period." - Michael K.
"For 1 week each November, when I'm far away from Texas - games don't get better than this!" - James Nathan Spencer

Recommendation

I actually discovered My Little Pony Hide & Seek by complete accident. I was just browsing BGG, and suddenly I had a dream that I was riding a little pony. Just seconds later, I found myself rating this game a 10, and my life as a gamer has felt more complete ever since.

There are few games that I can recommend as highly as this one. It's become an instant 10 for me, and should be for you too. Even if you don't own the game personally, just reading a review about it can already improve your life, just as it has improved mine. But ask not what this game can do for you. Ask what you can do for this game! If you're not convinced or want to know more about the back-story, check here.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Yes, I am completely sane. Want to know more? Read the complete background story here:

The MLPH&S Phenomenon: Your Official Guide to Everything My Little Pony Hide & Seek.

Edit: updated info to make it more current
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Root
Australia
Dubbo
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What the crap? An equine imposter has hacked Ender's account!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Root
Australia
Dubbo
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, is that Monkey Auto Races I see crying in the corner sporting a suspiciously warm wet patch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Walker
United Kingdom
Liphook
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now seems the opportune moment to gallop over to the marketplace and sell a copy

$250 for the true definition of game that is hot to trot - before I put a copy out to pasture

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My stepdaughter is 2 1/2. Ender has inspired me to rush out to buy a copy of this game to save for her third birthday. Brilliant review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Lilly
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Your in depth review of one of the greatest artistic feats in modern history has inspired me to share one my favorite little treats.....Candyland. This little gem is absolutely fantastic! I often times sit down for a solitare version of this game after a long day at work....so satisfying! The incredible tension built into the game by the movement along the colored pathway towards candy nirvana is second to none....but my absolute favorite part is that the game can almost be finished.....and then you get sent back to the beginning of the game....it is a never ending loop of sweet sugery fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Ward
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol! I needed that laugh today, so thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Glaceon
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot approve of this madness!

but I sure wish I could double thumb...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
BDSb wrote:

but I sure wish I could double thumb...

What does that have to do with the review, though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I did play this once. Not only was it's virtual link rule easy to understand, it also is integrated perfectly with the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
admin
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
oh I am in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
EndersGame wrote:
Yes, I am completely sane. Yes, this is a joke. David Wilt (cazantyl) gets credit for coming up with the idea that inspired this review - see his list here:

N/A

If you do participate by rating My Little Pony Hide & Seek a 10, be sure to remove your rating by early next week, by which time the joke will be over.

Delete this post. Now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
admin
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
alafter wrote:
EndersGame wrote:
Yes, I am completely sane. Yes, this is a joke. David Wilt (cazantyl) gets credit for coming up with the idea that inspired this review - see his list here:

N/A

If you do participate by rating My Little Pony Hide & Seek a 10, be sure to remove your rating by early next week, by which time the joke will be over.

Delete this post. Now.

Wha?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Soñando
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
See the problem I have with this little satire (something I normally applaud) is that as a public school teacher, I am the painful bystanding witness to a bizarre and utterly incomprehensible new meme/trend related to My Little Pony. There is this rather large group of teen males around here who are fanatics of the show and for all things pony. They call themselves "Bronies" and they go on and on and on and on, in a COMPLETELY NON-IRONIC WAY, about how the television program, "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic", really and truly is the "greatest television program ever."

Please let me reiterate that this abject fan adoration is completely non-ironic - this isn't some hipter po-mo sidelong winking where the fans profess to liking something and being a fan of something in order to mock and ridicule it--nor is it one of those it's so mainstream it's not mainstream things. This is totally incomprehensible and weirdly sincere adoration for a show that is little more than an insipid 20 minute long cross-marketing/advertisement for toys.

So I get the satire, but there is some part of me that knows there are a group of people out there who are going to play the spin off board game and repeat every word above in the original post with sincerity.

When the very irony you are using to satirize becomes a sincerely held belief of those you are ridiculing with the satire... there's no hope for humanity whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cazantyl wrote:
MScrivner wrote:
See the problem I have with this little satire (something I normally applaud) is that as a public school teacher, I am the painful bystanding witness to a bizarre and utterly incomprehensible new meme/trend related to My Little Pony. There is this rather large group of teen males around here who are fanatics of the show and for all things pony. They call themselves "Bronies" and they go on and on and on and on, in a COMPLETELY NON-IRONIC WAY, about how the television program, "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic", really and truly is the "greatest television program ever."

Please let me reiterate that this abject fan adoration is completely non-ironic - this isn't some hipter po-mo sidelong winking where the fans profess to liking something and being a fan of something in order to mock and ridicule it--nor is it one of those it's so mainstream it's not mainstream things. This is totally incomprehensible and weirdly sincere adoration for a show that is little more than an insipid 20 minute long cross-marketing/advertisement for toys.

So I get the satire, but there is some part of me that knows there are a group of people out there who are going to play the spin off board game and repeat every word above in the original post with sincerity.

When the very irony you are using to satirize becomes a sincerely held belief of those you are ridiculing with the satire... there's no hope for humanity whatsoever.

Thankfully this game is based off of the original artwork for MLP. It's like comparing episodes 1 through 3 of Star Wars to 4 through 6. Or the original Star Trek to The Next Generation.

Clearly, the originals are superior works.

EXACTLY!!! I mean Pinkie Pie IS the Jar Jar Binks:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
admin
mb
MScrivner wrote:

When the very irony you are using to satirize becomes a sincerely held belief of those you are ridiculing with the satire... there's no hope for humanity whatsoever. :(

Thank you for introducing me to a new subculture that I shall LOVE! LOOK SPARKLES EVERYWHERE!!!!!!eleventy!!111!!

BRONY4L1fE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:

...and so it begins...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Majestic Tale of) An Idiot With a Box
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'll just put this over here with the rest of the fire.
badge
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
MScrivner wrote:

...and so it begins...
I'm in this until Godwin's law is realized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
admin
mb
cold_fuzion wrote:
vandemonium wrote:
MScrivner wrote:

When the very irony you are using to satirize becomes a sincerely held belief of those you are ridiculing with the satire... there's no hope for humanity whatsoever. :(

...and so it begins...
I'm in this until Godwin's law is realized.

You know who else didn't like ponys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
As a civil war buff what truly impresses me about this game is how it parallels some of the great cavalry actions. One can't help but feel that you are seeing the world through the eyes of men like JEB Stuart, Phil Sheridan and George Custer. The scenarios covering the battles of Ponyville and Friendship Gardens especially are amazing and very well balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the best MLP game

Also best comment:
I'm throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
jfro wrote:
alafter wrote:
EndersGame wrote:

N/A

Delete this post. Now.

Wha?

This will be 2x entertainment if there's no explaination. 1 from the review, 1 from those without common sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BDSb wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at my pony
my pony is amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.