21 Posts

Race for the Galaxy: The Brink of War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hidden Fortress / New Galactic Order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
würfel becher
Germany
flag msg tools
When New Galactic Order is in your playing area, and a few other military worlds, how does Hidden Fortress counts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hidden Fortress increases your military by the number of military worlds you have, and NGO scores based on the result. It's a good combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As this is a BoW forum, Uplift Mercenary Force and/or Uplift Revolt World + mucho 'X' chromosome worlds also work well with NGO. Heck, add Hidden Fortress too if you can cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
This was blowing my mind for a while, then I realized that +1vp / military world was nothing to write home about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A LOT of the Uplift worlds are military. So if you have:

those in Tableau along with 4 UPLIFT military worlds and Hidden Fortress that's an impressive(6+6+7=19) amount of military. dropping a six-dev that's worth that amount of VP is just brutal. Erm, actually New Galactic Order gives you +2 military so that'd up the example to 21. NOTE: the example is somewhat conservative. With Hidden Fortress you have 14 Tableau slots and the example only uses 8 of them.

Now this obviously won't happen often. the same is true of earning 2 prestige everytime you play a REBEL world. It can happen and when it does it's awesome, but it doesn't happen often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good example, but I think the maths is a bit off - I count 18. Hidden Fortress contributes 6 (Uplift Mercenary Force is not a military world).

Another minor nitpick: UMF and Uplift Revolt World give military for Chromosomes (the green X's), not the Uplift keyword. Although I think this changes nothing in your example as all the military Uplift worlds also have the Chromosome symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mumushanshi wrote:
Although I think this changes nothing in your example as all the military Uplift worlds also have the Chromosome symbol.

Except Alien Uplift Center. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mumushanshi wrote:
Good example, but I think the maths is a bit off - I count 18. Hidden Fortress contributes 6 (Uplift Mercenary Force is not a military world).

Another minor nitpick: UMF and Uplift Revolt World give military for Chromosomes (the green X's), not the Uplift keyword. Although I think this changes nothing in your example as all the military Uplift worlds also have the Chromosome symbol.
Ah, good catch! And yeah there are a few things with UPLIFT but not the chromosome symbol.

But as you see, New galactic order can be worth upwards of 10 VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
würfel becher
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanx Andrew, for the fast reply! Was just wondering how powerful this is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to pull off something that was pretty impressive today. I pulled UPLIFT Mercenary Force and UPLIFT Revolt World in a game and got them in play. But I only managed to get 1 other Chromosome world out. instead I put out a few Devs that gave +military and then played Hidden Fortress. Then I remembered this thread and used Search to find New Galactic order and put it into play. Final military total: 24.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
Then I remembered this thread and used Search to find New Galactic order and put it into play. Final military total: 24. :D

Nice! Did you Search for 6dev, or military dev? Search on military dev is a nice trick to increase your odds of specifically finding New Galactic Order. That's really only useful if NGO is your only out though. The rest of military devs are whiffs, while ~half the 6devs are ok in a military tableau.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whitney Barnes

California
msg tools
I had a 2PA game once where my homeworld was uplift mercenaries,, and I had a one defense chromosome world, a two defence chromosome world, and clandestine uplift world. So first turn, double settle, second turn, settle, trade one of those green goods for 8 cards. (and consume the other for a 9th on the clandestine lab)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used 6-dev. (I was playing with the actual cards) I had to look through 3/4 of the deck to find it. robot Yeah that took a while....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
I used 6-dev. I had to look through 3/4 of the deck to find it.

Suspicious...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how is that suspicious? It was close to the bottom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know you're not allowed to search for a specific card, right?

a) flip cards until you find [the first card matching your search category] - in your case, any 6-? dev
b) accept it, or reject and flip until you find the next
c) cannot reject the second one
d) End search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh.... oops. I missed that in the rules.

*reads rules again*

Oh, I forgot that you could only pass once before stopping your search. I'll have to remember that in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mumushanshi wrote:
You know you're not allowed to search for a specific card, right?

a) flip cards until you find [the first card matching your search category] - in your case, any 6-? dev
b) accept it, or reject and flip until you find the next
c) cannot reject the second one
d) End search.

Wow, and i thought you were being sarcastic with the 'suspicious' comment. Good catch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
What are the chances that all-but-one 6-dev are hiding in the bottom quarter of the deck? Not good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, I think it was the 12th one I came to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pompom pompom
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Supspicious indeed. Wow, sometimes I wished I could search for the 6Dev I want though ;-)

coming back on the original topic, that is indeed a good combo, one of the best IMO.

All the 140+ scores I came accross were a combination of
-The 2 chromo +1 military world
-Hidden Fortress (Mandatory for the 2 additional cards)
-NGO and/or Uplift code.

A standard Chromo is worth 8 points with that combo.

(+PGA and federation capital... ok ok doesn't happen that often)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.