Subject: A lion's lessons - Razing the Red Fork rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah! Gregor goes plunder!

I was very excited about this one. It seemed very complex, interesting and cool.
My plan was something like this: One cavalry heads to the bridge an blocks the
way for those Starks beyond the river. The other one tries catching Stark green
cavalry to prevent it from capturing buildings or disturbing my burning men.

One of my heavy infantry should head to the left, bring the building to at least 3
levels of fire, and then go for the wood bridge. The other two should try and
reach the central buildings or the right one, leaving the south building for Gregor
who could not get any further anyway. At the end, Gregor should use his commit
ability to increase burning and finish all buildings with level 3 fires.

Kevan should direct his men to hold the northern buildings, fighting Stark men
and preventing them from collecting too many Victory Points. As soon as green
cavalry would be down, my blue one should aid Kevan (hopefully soon), and
should Karstark cross the River, Kevans units would have to take care of that
flank, too (hopefully late).

At first, things worked out as planned.

The left building was on fire with three levels at end of round two, Rickard and
his men still behind the river and Stark just sat in one lonely building at the top.
I made a big mistake, then. Rickard forced my cavalry to retreat from the wooden
bridge. He could not pursue onto the bridge, but used his commit ability to
reactivate. Instead of moving my own riders back onto the bridge at once, which
would have cost Stark at least one more round to get Rickard over the river, i
made a nice coordinated attack with Kevan and some other guys. I was so excited
about the opportunity to weaken the northmen enough to take back the building,
that i completely missed the danger on my left flank.

Rickard crossed the river and took another building, and for the rest of the
game i could not get that one back. The other Stark cavalry engaged my own.
With a bit of bowmen aid, my horses fell. I could burn the bridge then, but
had to get my last cavalry, which was meant to get their green riders down,
to my left flank, to kill Stark cavalry and prevent them from chasing Gregors soldiers.

Starks green cavalry sat in the rightmost building for some time, gathering
VP, till i could drive them out with foot troops and set the building on fire. In
the end, i had the bridge and three buildings devastated, one on fire and
one building occupied. Stark controlled two buildings, the stone bridge, and
had one building just lost in the last round.

We were equal on Victory Points, but my morale was better, so i won.

This scenario is a really nice and complex one, including many strategic
decisions, and you always have to preview-count VPs, cause one side
gets them each round, and the other just at end of game. This one feels
very atmospheric and i guess it has a high replay-value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this one is crazy. I don't know if you guys saw it, but there were a few clarifications from the designer posted by someone over on the FFG forums.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...
Quote:

Ahahaha! I got answers from Rob Kouba himself! Weee

Just wanted to share my questions and answers I got here ... They are all regarding scenario nr. 9.

1. What does the term "to control" exactly mean? Especially in scenario 9. where besides houses there is also a demand for two bridges to be controlled, but have no control tokens on them? Must a unit stand on the bridge all the time for a bridge to be considered controlled (game end)?
As for houses with control tokens, if I am correct, one unit must stop there, token is changed to that unit houses' color and unit can continue its movement next turn, but building is still regarded as controlled by the house(Lannister/Stark) whose unit entered this building previous turn.

2. Burn
a) can a unit retreat into a burning building? (willingly or if forced by black flags and has no optional retreat route)
b) can a hex with a unit standing on it be made to burn/Can a fire level be applied to that hex?

3. Commander Clegane in scenario 9. is a red rank unit. Is that maybe an error? In rulebook page 24 is Gregor the Reaver designated as blue rank unit.

4.Burning down the siege towers/tents. If a fire level is put on one of these, are these destroyed this turn or in this happens Regroup phase?

5. I would also ask for an an explanation of Gregor Clegane The Reaver commit ability which says:

"Flip this card after executing an order to increase the level of all existing fires by 1. Then declare a direction. Spread up to 3 fires by two hexes in the declared direction.

a) area of effect here is commanders' ZOC?
b) if fires spread in a certain direction for two hexes, does this mean that lvl 1 fire levels are placed in these hexes? What if these hexes are plains or hills (no burn effect)?
c)what if units stand in hexes where fire is to be spread?

ANSWERS:

1) In the case you are talking about in Scenario 9, it refers to having a unit on that particular location so you would have to have a unit on the bridge in question to score at the game's end. You are correct as far as anything marked with a control marker (referred to as controlling objectives on pg. 3 of the Battle Plans).

2) a) No.
b) Yes. This is done usually by a fire spreading onto the hex where the unit is.

3) His rank is red for that scenario.

4) Immediately (like the tent).

5) a) No.
b) Yes. Think of it as the fire spreading once with a level one fire and then that level one fire spreading and causing another level one fire. So if you were spreading a fire adjacent to a river and chose the direction of the river, it would not spread at all. It wouldn't cause a level one fire to sprout up on the other side of the river. Does that make sense? Just so you know though, not having a burn effect does not necessarily mean that the hex does not have the capability to have fire. For example, the 4 after the Burn Threshold for plains means that you can place up to four levels of fire on that particular hex.
c) The fire is placed normally and the unit has the possibility of taking damage in the Regroup Phase.

Happy Gaming!

FFG

We played the scenario by using control markers to mark where Stark stood on the bridge, essentially giving them an extra unit.

I wrote up some of my experiences with this scenario in a thread over on the FFG forums. Unfortunately, because we played the control markers wrong, it's not accurate:

Quote:
I just played this scenario last night, so it was my first time playing with fire. But I think I can answer some of the questions in this thread.

Stark does not start with any objectives being controlled. He must move units onto those objectives in order to control them. For example, I sent my green cavalry unit to the stone bridge immediately to control it. Remember that units do not have to stay on those objectives. They remain controlled until an opponent's unit ends its turn there, at which point you change control markers.

The scoring in this scenario is unusual, but basically Stark accumulates points for controlled objectives at the end of each round and Lannister only gets points at the end of round five, the end of the game.

Lannister either gets 1 point for each burn level of each building or 5 points for each devastated building, not both. Otherwise, it would be insane. They already have 15 points of buildings within fairly easy reach on their side of the board and another 5-10 points not too far away.

Stark gets 2 points for controlling the stone bridge each round and 1 point for controlling the wooden bridge and 1 point for each building. So there is one building that you can occupy pretty much immediately with your archers on the stark side of the river. Then, by round 2 at the latest, you can easily control the wooden bridge. That should give you an easy 3-4 points each round, until Lannister's forward units led by Kevan can take some of it back.

As far as the Reavers and burning. It's important to remember that you cannot set an occupied hex on fire and you can't enter a hex on fire, so the only way to have units burning is if the fire spreads into their hex, either through level 4 fires spreading or through Gregor's "wind" commit ability, which affects the whole board. I believe you can attack units on fire, can't see why not, but you may worry about fires spreading into your hex if you become engaged. Also, it is a viable defense for Stark to occupy buildings and the wooden bridge, as they cannot be burned if they are occupied.

Regarding strategy, you must focus on the Reavers from the beginning or Stark will eat you up with an accumulated 3-5 points per round over the course of 5 rounds.

Overall, I think this is a good scenario and one I would like to try again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were wondering about how controlling the bridges was meant, too, so we checked and read those answers before playing and got it all right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The view from the Stark side:

Keeping track of who's on the winning side is really a bit tricky here, and cost me the game. I was under the impression that I was very likely to lose , and so decided to capture Kevan for fun and the off-chance of then winning against the mostly leaderless Lannisters. Kevan can distribute hits to neighboring units once, so capturing him can be rather difficult. I wouldn't have tried if I hadn't thought that I would lose anyway. I wasted at least 4 attacks from blue units on him without ever getting 2 blue results or a morale. If I had used those attacks to further my winning conditions instead, I'd likely have won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you guys remember the point total?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as i remember we had 22 Victory Points each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well we just played this last night and for the first time since playing this game i was completely screwed by rolls, i had a green token left over from round 1 and rolled 4 greens for round 2 giving me a total of 5 green tokens to use on my 1 green unit. now i bounced back a little bit but by the last round when i really needed some blues or valars i rolled 3 more greens and a morale giving me 4 greens and a morale in the last round to go with my 0 green units because the greatjon killed them,i looked at the battle plans and was excited to have so many red and blue units but i waswrong because lack of gereen targets absolutly screwed me.

/rant over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.