Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Uhh, first one with new units!

My thought: How should Stark ever win this one? Only four rounds, they have to
get their host over these two small fords, all the objectives on my side of the river…
The red catapults are likely to do no damage at all. And before Stark can do
anything, they have to fight through with their cavalry, against pikemen, who are
trained especially to kill cavalry. Yeah.

I turned pikemen to formation pikesquare, and figured that i would hope for one
of these cards: order three units, order three units of same rank, order three
units of same type. I would than block the fords with stalwart pikemen, ready
to deal hard counter attacks. And then win, cause Stark couldnt do anything.

I did totally mess up my first turn. I played order three units of same type, choosing
the three pikemen. Number one: onto the ford, number two: onto the other ford,
number three: oh, damn, totally missed that forest there, no stalwart for me. I was
so eager to fight cavalry with pikemen, that i did not think it through properly. And
instead of learning from my mistake, i made the next one: attacking. My intention
was to engage both cavalry, so they could not flank my men, but i did not think
about the counter attacks they would get to roll. One hit for one pikemen unit, two
hits for the other. Stark began his turn, ordered the riders and killed both pikemen
units. So much for these horsekillers. Yeah.

Daven and my heavy infantry moved north to try and hold back the northmen a little,
green units took three objectives, and Gregor moved towards the fords and laid a
little fire, to prevent Stark units from slipping past and taking the left objectives.

One red cavalry slipped past, the other one got engaged by my infantry and did not
dare to attack nor ride on, fearing counter attacks or parting blows because they just
had one figure left. I had changed pikemen formation to hedgehog and attacked the
other cavalry, getting an amazing roll with three red hits. Lucky one. (I was attacking
from forest, with two bonus dice. 4 dice against red units, not counting valor results,
has a chance of 0.7% to deal three damage.) On the other hand, the second cavalry
survived all attacks with its lone rider.

Robb slipped past and did not attack but rode for the objectives, his northmen came
after him and joined battle. Gregor moved closer, setting another hex on fire.
Lannisport guards went left to take the last missing objective. My pikemen moved to
assist at the ford and got killed.

Gregor caused another fire south to him and used his commit ability to spread all
fires, making sure that no unit at the fords could move to the left side, and setting
on fire the place where Robb was, costing him a turn to quench the fire. I made
another mistake then: I kept one valor order token for the next round, instead of
moving green archers to the center. In the last round, Robb was commanded three
times, thanks to one morale token and one rally all card. He took one objective at
the side, and i had no unit close enough to take the central one back. I wished i had
kept my own rally all card for this important moment, because i just lacked one single
Victory Point to get equal with stark, and units to kill were well in reach of Gregor
and Daven, but i had no way to rally any unit and Stark won.

After the battle i was not only thinking about my mistakes while playing, but was also
kind of underwhelmed with the pikemen. From text, they seemed to scream “figth
cavalry with me”, but what i hadnt in mind is: they are foot soldiers who only need
three hits to die. They might deal nice blows to cavalry, but get killed quick. I will keep
that in mind and play a little less hastily next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the scene where Robb has just been set on fire by Gregor. Lannister heavy infantry and Daven are still effectively blocking the ford (because infantry has to stop movement on a ford), but getting Robb through was enough to win this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm loving your session reports, keep them comming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your kind words, Frank!
Of course i will keep on reporting our sessions, i fear we even do have to play all the scenarios twice before i reach silver session reporter status
Unless more expansions keep coming, of course...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.