Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I would share with everyone my collected knowledge of movies and TV shows about Chinese Chess.

The first and the third are movies I found while browsing a bookstore in Chongqing, China.

This is 棋王,"Chess King"

I believe that this is the IMDB page for it, but the only review on there has nothing to do with the actual movie.

IMDB also has another movie with the same Chinese name but titled "King of Chess" starring Tony Leung.

Another movie I own is called 黑炮事件, "Black Cannon Incident"

There is also the amazing Chinese anime titled 象棋王, "Chinese Chess Master"

EDIT: I forgot about this one! A TV show called 棋战士,"Chess Warriors" starring Dickey Cheung

You can watch the first episode for free here and find the Wikipedia page here.

Anyone know any others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gaudreau
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads-up!

I'm a bit puzzled how you could call Chinese Chess Master "amazing" when it was a terrible knock-off of Hikaru No Go (Japanese anime about Go), and had that weird and unfortunate electronic/video game element in it. Believe me, I wanted to like it, but, no. Too painful.

I will check out Chess King if I can - sadly, I know of nothing I can add, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshx wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up!

I'm a bit puzzled how you could call Chinese Chess Master "amazing" when it was a terrible knock-off of Hikaru No Go (Japanese anime about Go), and had that weird and unfortunate electronic/video game element in it. Believe me, I wanted to like it, but, no. Too painful.

I will check out Chess King if I can - sadly, I know of nothing I can add, though.

Was it done by the same group as Hikaru No Go? If so, then it's not a rip off. If not then it clearly is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a bump to let everyone who's subscribed know I added some more titles to the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.