Kai Liang Teo
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gameplay breakdown:
1) place your "merchant" cards at various locations on the board
2) perform the action on that location (i.e. buy tile/build tile pieces/get money etc)
3) end of turn.
4) once all players have used up all cards, end of round.
5) score.
6) repeat for 4 rounds.
7) Additional end of game scoring.

interesting mechanics (to me):
merchant cards are used to purchase tiles and can be used to block other players. First player can place any card onto that location. Subsequent players must play the same color card OR place any 2 cards facedown. This limits the number of actions the player can then do subsequently.

Hits:
1) well balanced. The game feels like it has been play tested enough and runs like a well-oiled machine.
2) above average art. nice to look at and not too distracting from the game play

Misses:
1) I wonder why are there 2 sets of different middle tiles (not roof or base). I guess its to create some variety and to balance but it can confuse people when they are counting the tallest tower (is it number of tiles or actual length)

Similar to:
Alhambra
Thief of Baghdad

Difficulty (simple, light, average, heavy, brain-numbing) :
Light

Summary:
Light-weight game. It caters for casual and competitive gamers though the latter may not play it so often. 2 casual gamers in my group commented they like these sort of games where all the instructions are clear and on the board and they will still have fun even if they don't plan ahead. For me, I did try to keep track of what the other players were buying and planned ahead so that I can be slightly ahead of them and get big scores at the end. Definitely play with the advanced rules for more of a challenge and more options.

What will i do with it?
I may play it a bit more but will most probably sell/trade it away. Not that its not good, but I have limited space and i tend to keep games now that left me a very deep impression or has a theme/topic that I really love.

hope the above helps someone make a decision
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hunt
United States
Bellingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it a few times and sent it along. I was whelmed; not a whole lot new - yes, you're right, well playtested. It just didn't excite me, it felt more mechanical than even the average Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.