Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:
http://appadvice.com/applists/show/ipad-board-game

Best board game list from App Advice.
How disappointing.
shake

The accountants at Hasbro with the daunting task of counting their money would beg to differ with your opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, maybe this will cheer you up a little...

CNET did a piece on the 30 best iPad games...period.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-31747_7-10003174.html

How did board games do? I'd say not bad actually:

4th listed - Carcassonne
8th listed - Great Little War Game
13th listed - Monopoly
19th listed - Puerto Rico
22nd listed - Scrabble
26th listed - Ticket To Ride
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D'Andrea
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are great scores for top 100 of all iPad games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Liang
msg tools
Hi,

This is Lenny Liang. I'm a writer at AppAdvice and also a personal fan of this site. I just wanted to let you know that we are planning on writing a best iOS Euro Games List soon. That board game list you saw will be updated eventually and will likely reflect a wider variety of games.

Please feel free to nominate any games you'd like to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D'Andrea
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I run your app and check it daily. Well be looking forward to the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found AppAdvice's post about Caylus a bit strange.

Some highlights:

Quote:
For those unacquainted with Caylus, or other games in the same vein, it is a strategy game with a heavy emphasis on strategy.

I'm surprised a strategy game emphasizes strategy.

Quote:
You do not just read the game instructions; you study them.

Whoa, heavy.

Quote:
I’ve played Settlers, Puerto Rico, and Carcassonne, but have yet to try Caylus.

Ok, so...

Quote:
Overall, Caylus is a great game and a worthy buy.

How can you conclude this even though you admitted to never playing it?

I generally enjoy AppAdvice for finding out about some new apps, but a good chunk of their content reads like paid promotion* or fluff content built around the affiliate links to purchase the app.

*To expand on this, I don't necessarily mean they're paid to mention an app. But there've been a number of times the post is something about how great an app is, and AppAdvice just so happens to have a few codes to give away. Am I to not believe that the company that created the app didn't just send AppAdvice some free codes to gain some promotion for their app, and now AppAdvice is just over-selling how good the app really is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Daddy
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I think a far more accurate name for the list would be "iPad Classic Board Games". (I'm surprised they couldn't find a good version of "Chutes and Ladders" to include.)

The article admits that they were limiting their search critera...
"Thus, we have scoured the Appstore for the apps that faithfully recreate the experience of playing your old favorites, including the social aspects."

While a "Best Euro Board Games" would be nice, I would rather see a more universal "Best Board Games You Probably Missed" list to help bring the "new" classics into the public light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Liang
msg tools
Hi,

I was the writer of the Caylus piece. To respond to your comments:

I confess that perhaps some of my language was inadequate. I felt that my target audience was not the hardcore gamers on this site, but rather casual users who've never played this genre of game and who probably think a game like Risk is highly strategic. In that vein, I tried to give context to how strategic a game like Caylus is. Perhaps my attempts to add flourish to my language failed.

With respect to playing the game...I deeply apologize. The sentence you quoted is a typo. It should have said "but had yet to play Caylus," until I tested it, of course. I actually spent many more hours testing Caylus than I normally do with most apps. I understand that with a game like Caylus, four to five hours of play time is hardly any time at all, but given my experience with similar games, I felt qualified to write a news piece on it.

As for the paid promotion/fluff comment, let me just say that I understand your reasons for saying so, and it's a perception I'm trying very hard to change. We do get promo codes for many of our apps and we also give out promo codes for some of them, but my job is to be objective. The way I look at it is that I do a disservice to both developers and users if I don't give my honest opinion about apps.

Here's a piece I wrote (http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/01/reminders-with-friends-go...) on an app that I got multiple promo codes for. I also personally liked the developer (he later became one of my followers on Twitter!) As you can see, I was not overly positive in my assessment, to the point where the developer pulled the app from the store because of my review. I was offered promo codes to give away, but I didn't offer them because I didn't think the app was ready for public consumption.

If you have any other suggestions on how I can improve my writing or how AppAdvice can improve its content, please feel free to contact me at leonard@appadvice.com. I'd love to hear from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Liang
msg tools
Thanks for the input. I'm actually not the writer scheduled to write the piece, but I'll pass on your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D'Andrea
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed your review. As I stated above I hope that your look into the deeper side of iOS Board Games goes well. I for one am looking forward to it.

Not sure how a Promo code is any different then The Dice Tower getting Review copies of games. Thier opinion is very highly taken here on the site yet they not only "review" free copies of games but they also do advertizing for kickstarter now (They call them Previews but we know what that means lol)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently started posting iOS reviews for The Dice Tower (Tom Vasel's website). If you like iOS board games, check them out. Feel free to skip the "Quarrel" review, the video got screwed up in the posting process. Also, for a good laugh check back soon for my Lego Creationary review. I'd love some feedback as well as to how I can post them to BGG. Having trouble with that last bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Liang
msg tools
Thanks for all the input. I personally am a fan of this site because the members here are as passionate about board games, as we at AppAdvice are about apps.

A promo code is basically a code you can redeem in the app store to get an automatic download of an app. Generally, I'll contact developers and ask them if they're willing to give me a promo code, so I can test their app. Often they'll give them (as I believe they do for most press that ask). When they can't, we'll buy the app for our library. Sometimes, we may contact the devs of an app that we think is good and see if they can give us some codes as giveaways. Sometimes, we're offered multiple codes to give away to our readers. We generally don't take them up on the offer, unless we think the app is worthwhile ... we don't say an app is worthwhile because we're offered codes. I have been offering some extra promo codes I get on twitter (@lsliang2001) if any of you want to follow me. Let me know your handles and I'll follow you too.

I have a random board game question that maybe one of you can help me with. How do you differentiate what is a "Euro Board Game" and what is a normal strategy/card/etc game. For example, would Dominion be considered a Euro Board Game, even though it doesn't use a board? I know it won the Spiel des Jahres.

Thanks for the consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
leonard_liang wrote:
I have a random board game question that maybe one of you can help me with. How do you differentiate what is a "Euro Board Game" and what is a normal strategy/card/etc game. For example, would Dominion be considered a Euro Board Game, even though it doesn't use a board? I know it won the Spiel des Jahres.

On this site, you are going to get lots of very different opinions when you try to categorize things like "Euro game" or "board game" or even "abstract." There are not a lot of easy definitions.

Many tend to call something a board game if it is sold at boardgame stores and has an entry here at BGG. That includes card games, dice games, dexterity games, dominoes, and hundreds of things in between. Usually such games are turn based, but not always.

Euro games tend to emphasize the strategy, have multiple viable paths to victory, and tend to focus on efficiency, managing resources, and "building a growth engine." I hope that helps.

So, yes, Dominion is very "Euro" in its style (same starting hands, more strategy than chance in some ways, efficiency and building a custom strategy), but one would typically call it a "Euro card game" when speaking precisely and only call it a "Euro board game" in a generic, broad, or loose sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Liang
msg tools
Thanks, that was extremely helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Liang
msg tools
By the way Brian, since you're writing about iOS. Feel free to drop me a line at leonard@appadvice.com. I'm very interested in networking with other iOS reviewers, especially one who's into board games! I also dropped Mr. Vasel a note.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
leonard_liang wrote:

On this site, you are going to get lots of very different opinions when you try to categorize things like "Euro game" or "board game" or even "abstract." There are not a lot of easy definitions.

Many tend to call something a board game if it is sold at boardgame stores and has an entry here at BGG. That includes card games, dice games, dexterity games, dominoes, and hundreds of things in between. Usually such games are turn based, but not always.

Euro games tend to emphasize the strategy, have multiple viable paths to victory, and tend to focus on efficiency, managing resources, and "building a growth engine." I hope that helps.

So, yes, Dominion is very "Euro" in its style (same starting hands, more strategy than chance in some ways, efficiency and building a custom strategy), but one would typically call it a "Euro card game" when speaking precisely and only call it a "Euro board game" in a generic, broad, or loose sense.

I would just add one other key characteristic of euro games is no player elimination. Euros usually incorporate some mechanic, such as hidden victory points, that ensure all the players play until the victory condition is met. This is differentiated from Risk or Monopoly, the goals of which is to slowly eliminate all the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see that..... sometimes, these "broad generalizations" are called for....

"Catan is just Monopoly with a different board"
"an Xbox is an Atari with a different controller"
"Chipotle is sort of like Taco Bell"
"Small World is like Risk, but with alot less luck"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D'Andrea
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I can see that..... sometimes, these "broad generalizations" are called for....

"Catan is just Monopoly with a different board"
"an Xbox is an Atari with a different controller"
"Chipotle is sort of like Taco Bell"
"Small World is like Risk, but with alot less luck"

Whopper is like a big mac only without the suck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Calavera
Singapore
flag msg tools
Board games are like games but with boards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:
Not sure how a Promo code is any different then The Dice Tower getting Review copies of games. Thier opinion is very highly taken here on the site yet they not only "review" free copies of games but they also do advertizing for kickstarter now (They call them Previews but we know what that means lol)

Well, iOS game promo codes cost *nothing* to the developer, while review copies cost shipping, printing, and so on. And, considering that promo codes "save" the reviewer only $2 to $5 (and rarely $10), the reviewer could be making more money by, say, flipping burgers or eating one less Starbucks scone. I think anyone interested in reviewing iOS apps *should* contact the developers -- and will burn out quickly when they realize it's more *fun* to just buy the d*mn game and play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne, Catan, Ticket to Ride, Puerto Rico, Tigris & Euphrates, Caylus, Small World, Elder Sign: Omens, Dominion and Ascension all have pretty decent ios releases. There is also a lot of good stuff in production as well:

http://ipadboardgames.org/upcoming-ipad-board-games-and-rele...

Granted, its not the best way to play the games... but at least there's some better stuff out there than Boggle and Monopoly for a list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
lordunborn wrote:

Well, iOS game promo codes cost *nothing* to the developer, while review copies cost shipping, printing, and so on. And, considering that promo codes "save" the reviewer only $2 to $5 (and rarely $10), the reviewer could be making more money by, say, flipping burgers or eating one less Starbucks scone. I think anyone interested in reviewing iOS apps *should* contact the developers -- and will burn out quickly when they realize it's more *fun* to just buy the d*mn game and play it.

They have iOS promo codes? The dev for RoboHero mentioned that he ended up not being able to do this directly since Apple's policies forbids it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno D
United States
East Northport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bpiehler wrote:
Carcassonne, Catan, Ticket to Ride, Puerto Rico, Tigris & Euphrates, Caylus, Small World, Elder Sign: Omens, Dominion and Ascension all have pretty decent ios releases. There is also a lot of good stuff in production as well:

Granted, its not the best way to play the games... but at least there's some better stuff out there than Boggle and Monopoly for a list.

Dominion ? .. There is no official Dominion iOS app yet ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
teg2 wrote:
Bpiehler wrote:

Dominion ? .. There is no official Dominion iOS app yet ....

It's not "official," but it was released with the approval of RGG. Still counts as a very good iOS release.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/id447395574?uo=4&mt=8&at=10lazE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.