Subject: Extra Incentive to Paint the Ceiling? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Brown
Jordan
Madaba-Manja
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One little gripe I had about Fresco was the lack of incentive to paint ceiling tiles early in the game. Since: 1. The amount of resources you hold on to is not limited. 2. Point values for available frescos do not decrease throughout the game. 3. The player in last place is first to pick wake-up time. There seems to be little incentive to paint tiles early in the game.

Sure, your income increases. But I didn't really find earning an extra 1-2 coins to be enough of an incentive to paint now rather than 2 turns later (and thus moving further down in turn order).

If you play with the Bishop's Favor (and place the bonuses face-up), would it add a bit of an incentive to paint fresco's early in the game? Placing them face-up rather than face-down would let players know their bonus, further pushing players to paint particular frescos NOW rather than waiting a few turns so it won't hurt you in turn order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always felt the way the game is meant to be played is with all included expansions. I think calling them expansions was just a marketing decision and they should have gone with the basic/advanced or family/standard game approach. For me, the basic game is just as an introductory game - which I played once and regretted not going straight to the full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
I've always felt the way the game is meant to be played is with all included expansions. I think calling them expansions was just a marketing decision and they should have gone with the basic/advanced or family/standard game approach. For me, the basic game is just as an introductory game - which I played once and regretted not going straight to the full game.

Andrew was referring to The Bishop's Favor, the latest promo mini-expansion, not to The Bishop's Request, which is in fact one of the extra modules of the basic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
Jordan
Madaba-Manja
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GabrielGeek wrote:
GSReis wrote:

Andrew was referring to The Bishop's Favor, the latest promo mini-expansion, not to The Bishop's Request, which is in fact one of the extra modules of the basic game.

Thank you. This is correct.

And, btw, I agree. All of the base game's 'expansions' should be included unless you have a real need to simplify the game to introduce it to a new player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GabrielGeek wrote:

Oh!, OK. Since he implied the extra coins were the only incentive to paint early, I assumed he was referring to The Bishop's Request, and didn't bother to check the names. I think the coins plus free paints and victory points are more than enough incentive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GodfatherPTS wrote:
One little gripe I had about Fresco was the lack of incentive to paint ceiling tiles early in the game. Since: 1. The amount of resources you hold on to is not limited. 2. Point values for available frescos do not decrease throughout the game.

I've never seen anyone delay. You get paints, you go restore something as soon as you can, before it's gone to someone else. Especially since each worker can only do one piece, each turn you skip painting is one less chance in the game to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketigid ketigid
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GodfatherPTS wrote:
One little gripe I had about Fresco was the lack of incentive to paint ceiling tiles early in the game. Since: 1. The amount of resources you hold on to is not limited. 2. Point values for available frescos do not decrease throughout the game. 3. The player in last place is first to pick wake-up time. There seems to be little incentive to paint tiles early in the game.

Sure, your income increases. But I didn't really find earning an extra 1-2 coins to be enough of an incentive to paint now rather than 2 turns later (and thus moving further down in turn order).

If you play with the Bishop's Favor (and place the bonuses face-up), would it add a bit of an incentive to paint fresco's early in the game? Placing them face-up rather than face-down would let players know their bonus, further pushing players to paint particular frescos NOW rather than waiting a few turns so it won't hurt you in turn order.

I also think that playing with Favors faced up should help with strategic options. Playing faced down just introduce more luck which is not really needed in this case.

I wonder why the decision in the rules to play face down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Valle
Mexico
Cuautitlan Izcalli
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How about some face-up and some face-down? Would that make any difference?

Or all of them face-up is the way to go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they should be face up. Otherwise, it needlessly adds luck and set up time to to the game. If they're not face up you could just draw them from a pile.

Personally I don't see why there needs to be any further reward to painting the ceiling. There should be more of a reward for restoring the altar since it may add additional strategy to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.