Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt K
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I'm stuck.

I'm on a target tile in a two player game. The other player places their blocking counter on the only space I could possibly move to becasue there is another target tile with a wall on the other side (a target tile was previously moved). Now, I have no way of moving a any tile to a place where I can get out and can't move the target tiles.

In our game, we decided to tie because my only move was to reverse the other player's tile movement causing a cat game.

Is this a flaw of the two-player game or am I missing something?

(the other player had already collected their statue on the tile I'm stuck on) I could see this being eliminated in a 3 or 4 player game as someone would want into the space and help me out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a correct strategy. Never found myself in a cat game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Mouse
msg tools
I do not think this is flaw we have encountered in a 2-player, possibly because we were avoiding situations like this in our game play.

However, in a straight 2-player game there is a significant first-mover advantage. We minimized this by playing 2 colours each Eg,

Player 1 - Orange
Player 2 - Green
Player 1 - Purple
Player 2 - Blue

This minimized the first mover advantage but introduced a last colour (blue) disadvantage. In a normal 4-player if one player is close to winning all the other gang up, but this obviously does not happen in the two player.

What we are discussing at the moment is a, rejiging of the order:

Player 1 - Orange
Player 2 - Green
Player 2 - Blue
Player 1 - Purple
Player 1 - Orange
Player 2 - Green...

etc, so you effectively get 2 turns in a row, except for player 1 right at the start. We will get back when we get a chance to play it next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Walters
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our last (4-player) game we managed to effectively break the game in a slightly different way. On two different occasions, while a player was on a target tile, someone moved the tile so it was in a corner (i.e. the player couldn't get out). Then that happened to someone else. The game ended up pretty stalemated, and after a short while we abandoned the game.

I think this is a flaw in the game, not a 'feature'. We wondered about making it so that target tiles couldn't be moved while a player was on them, but that obviously doesn't deal with the circumstance above.

But I've come up with a different additional rule that fixes all these ways of locking the game - a player may not finish their turn on a target tile.

This will make it slightly harder to get the icons, since you will need enough APs to pick up your icon and also leave the target tile, so this house rule will need playtesting.

EDIT: Just seen this addressed in another thread, which just suggests you should be careful not to end on a target tile. This is all very well when you are playing with relatively non-aggressive players, but in a game where messing up your opponents can feature heavily, that simply equates to not doing it at all - with 3 players to come after you, it is pretty likely that it will be possible to fix you in place.

So I think I prefer my house rule (to be tested).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Mouse
msg tools
I am starting to think you are right. We have had a few 2-player games ending in deadlock now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.