Jim Van Verth
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, How Not To Play Arkham Horror:

1) Get a 2-minute explanation at Origins. Use this as the basis for your understanding of the game rules and mechanics.

2) Purchase the game. Open the box and read the rules and become familiar with the bits, while actually spending more time watching Mythbusters. Read the rules carefully, except for the parts about combat, closing gates and basically anything really important.

3) Resolve to try the single player version before playing with friends, then never follow through.

4) Have friends over. Despite thorough reading of the rules, get the number of players wrong. Say, "Sure we can play with 10 players." After a half an hour of setup and getting scared just by the number of bits and the length of the rules, realize your mistake. Keep playing anyway.

5) Play your first turn. Ignore the starting player marker ("I'm sure that will mean something eventually") and follow standard U.S. game mechanics where each player does the 5 phases in turn.

6) Rather than trying to dig through the rules and explain them properly, pass them around to each player on their turn, in the vain hope that all 24 pages will get read collectively.

7) After a few turns of this, where every player draws a Mythos card, become amazed as gates and monsters start showing up like mad, and the doom track fills up quickly.

8) Despite having completely missed the proper turn order, somehow see the rule that states that with more players the doom track doesn't have to get completely filled before the Ancient One shows up. Drop into fighting the Ancient One before half the people have even had a chance to do anything. Say things like "Either we're playing this wrong, or this game is incredibly hard." or "We must be doing something wrong."

9) After fifteen minutes into fighting the Ancient One, someone finally notices the proper turn order. Everybody throws things at the rules guy.

10) Get bored with dice rolling and give up halfway through killing the Ancient One.

11) Resolve to try the single player version before playing again with friends. This resolution is -- of course -- doomed.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pop
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
It's flat, mate! :)
badge
Calavera!
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely understand the excitement of playing a new shiny board game. Still, I've always managed to restrain myself and solo every new game before presenting it to my friends.

Anyway, It's nice to envision such an experience without actually experiencing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.