Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald, Scott, and Erik talk about their time at BGG.con, and the games the games they played there.

There is also an interview with Stephen M. Buonocore of Stronghold Games.

On Board Games is a proud member of the Dice Tower Network

Check out our new web site: http://onboardgames.net/
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly there was no Dancer in DC on this episode!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those waiting with baited breath for the epic review of Battlelore will just have to wait a little longer as well!

Seriously though - great job getting this edited together - haven't listened yet -will do soon (and very jealously- as you discuss the awesomeness of BGGCon)!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This episode was pretty full of reviews. Are there any games we discussed that you like or hate? Any you are looking forward to or wish you'd had a chance to play?

Were any bubbles burst?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The non-played "review" of ST Fleet Captains was discouraging, still thinking on that, or Mage Knight for Xmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Brooks
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
This episode was pretty full of reviews. Are there any games we discussed that you like or hate? Any you are looking forward to or wish you'd had a chance to play?

Were any bubbles burst?

I'm a little surprised you ended up getting Dungeon Run - you seemed sort of 'meh' towards it when we played. I think you're right about the number of players though.

Star Trek: Fleet Captains ended up being somewhat disappointing. It's very thematic but too chaotic for my tastes. And there is quite a disparity between the coolness of the ships and the flimsiness of the cards and tiles.

I looked at Mage Knight half a dozen times and even checked it out of the library to look over the rules, but as cool as it looks I just know there's hardly any chance I'd get it to the table with anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get Dungeon Run because I thought I'd like it, I got it because I knew my son would. And he did, until he lost five games in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:

Were any bubbles burst?

I'm surprised Panic Station went over so well with your group, the games of it I played were pretty messy. Yes I played with the rule book that was in the box, just like most games I've ever played. It just felt like there were too many ambiguities and nothing made any sense thematically.

Other than that, it was nice to get input on so many newer games, the interview was good, but didn't have too much meat to it, good episode overall, bummer to hear about the bgg.con round table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Panic Station this past weekend and the game was dissapointing for me and other players, but I can see how this games is a bad first play experience.

I want to play it again, I liked the computer mechanism but there are some other things I don't like at all (you can't trade on the starting card? Is that safe zone or something?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was nice meeting you guys at BGG Con!

Puzzle Hunt : This was our third year. I think last year we came in third place and this year it was fourth. We enjoyed working the puzzles, but we weren’t very happy with how it was run. More than once, we had our answers rejected only to find out later that we DID have the correct answer in the first place and the “grader” had missed it. Can’t say we appreciated having our time wasted because of their mistakes. We still made it through the whole thing, but I don’t know if we’ll be trying it again next year. We probably will, but their mistakes really rubbed us the wrong way.

Panic Station : Many of us were hot to try this one out. We all came away from it wanting to never play again. The premise sounds so good, but its execution just didn’t deliver.

Poseidon’s Kingdom : We ended up playing this one simply because it was available when we drifted through the Hot Games room. I thought it was okay, but WAY overpriced for my liking. I’m not a big fan of the Fragors’ games anyway.

Safe Word : Hah! I never thought of that, but I will in the future. I don’t generally get into demos, but I have done a few I wish I could have escaped from.

Mage Knight : My friend liked it (and bought it). I thought it was okay, but it's a bit fiddly. I'm happy to play his copy, but I can't see owning it myself.

So what did I try new? Quite a bit...

Alcatraz : Didn't play as interesting as it sounded.

Belfort : Two of my friends loved it and plan to get it for Christmas. I thought it was okay. I think the trick is to know what you're playing BEFOREHAND. At a glance, it looks like a worker placement game, but it's NOT. This is an area majority game and everything else is just there to support that.

The Castles of Burgundy : It was a little bumpy our first time through, but I can see it being smoother the next time. The scoring bothered me in that the scores are always lurching. I score 20 pts. I score 20 pts. You score 50 pts. Etc. I generally like to know where I stand in a game. Stil, it may just be a matter of experience and now that it's finally come to the US (although Ravensberger would apparently prefer you didn't know) I may pick it up.

City Tycoon : I had high hopes here but the game was WAY too long and too hard to decipher what was going on.

Coney Island : I like the theme, but the gmae turned out to be too simplistic for my tastes.

Core Worlds : The only game I bought at the con, so that must mean something. A sci-fi deckbuilder that even my WIFE will play? SOLD!

Dragon Rampage : Disappointing, but hopeful. It fell like the rules were rushed out of the door and very little playtesting happened. That's essentially what the Gryphon Games guy told me too. If they get it fixed up before release, I'd like to try it again.

Dungeon Petz : My expectations were too high. I found this to simply be okay.

Fortuna : A neat little euro until you get to the end game. Way too random an ending for my liking.

Helvetia : It was... okay. Just nothing special here.

Kingdom Builder : I heard of the game and was interested. I read the rules and lost interest. I played the game and found it better than I had feared. I played it a few times at the con and it started getting old already.

Last Will : Nothing especially new here, but we liked it and I'll probably pick it up.

Ninjato : Good stuff. Hope to get it for Christmas.

Santiago de Cuba : Some of my friends were nonplussed, but I liked it as a light game with a random setup to create variety.

Sidibaba : HIT OF THE CON! I checked it out on a lark and got some folks together to play it. Everyone loved it and wanted to play a second time immediately. I'll definitely buy this one whenever it comes out.

Space Maze : UGH! I LIKE puzzle games but this was just boring.

TSCHAK! : A light card game that ended up being too light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merran Furness
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked your quick reviews of games played - particularly Poseidon's Kingdom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bluefroggirl wrote:
I liked your quick reviews of games played - particularly Poseidon's Kingdom.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.