$10.00
Sjaak Knaecken
msg tools
I got the game last week, and was a bit disappointed that some of the houses were restricted when you have less than 6 players. I decided to make additional fitting scenarios (38 in total) for each possible house combination when playing with 3, 4 or 5 players:

http://www.mcfretn.nl/GoT345players_allhouses.pdf

This document is designed to add some variety to 3, 4 and 5 player games by removing restrictions on available houses. Mix things up by playing Greyjoys vs Tyrells vs Martell for example. New battlefronts will take shape while the impassable zones are now in the North, creating an entirely different scenario.

Place garrison tokens on the indicated zones on the map. Look for the shield icon and the corresponding value. The names on the garrison tokens should be ignored because they will rarely match the zones
which they must cover. Starting units, locations and conditions remain unchanged, as shown on the house screens.

Although care was taken to include roughly the same amount of accessible strongholds, castles and resources, none of the scenarios have been tested for balance. Play at your own risk. Have fun!

3 Examples showing the map used for Stark/Tyrell/Martell, Lannister/Baratheon/Greyjoy and Lannister/Baratheon/Tyrell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sjaak,

Considering you only got the game a week ago, I think that besides learning the rules and playing a couple of times, the amount of work you have put in here is truly incredible.

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Laszlo
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's worth to test some
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjors Naus
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome, thanks for the work you put into this. I'll let you know how balanced my group finds the different scenarios when we try them, which shouldn't be too long since we often only have 3 or 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
Maybe you would like to get 7 player covered now. Just design me some scenarios and the player components for House Tully.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantuanwar wrote:
Thanks!
Maybe you would like to get 7 player covered now. Just design me some scenarios and the player components for House Tully.whistle

There is a house number 7a (sorry - too much Ank Morkpork*) and that would be all the houses covered.

Jim
Est. 1949

*We never mention the number between seven and nine...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
inm8 inm8
Sweden
flag msg tools
Has anyone tested this?? if you have, how was it???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Allen
United States
Chicago
IL - Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's not bad really. We just played a 5-player without Lannister; worked well. Stark and Greyjoy were a bit isolated with maybe a little too easy expansion, but no one had a really clear advantage ever. Greyjoy ended up winning in the 10th round by taking Winterfell.

We played another 5-player without Baratheon. The one weird thing was Lannister sitting at the top of two tracks at the beginning of the game. Martell had a decently easy time getting Dragonstone and King's Landing, but Stark wasn't putting up much resistance. I think Greyjoy won this one as well.

In the end, it doesn't matter, Greyjoy wins apparently, but these are nice mods. Thanks OP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work! You might not have balanced these, but it's great to have these as a starting point.

Next 5-player game, I'll try it without Greyjoy to try and make the neutral forces go away. But the only changes I make to the usual setup will be to make Pyke impassable and Harrenhal have a neutral force (4?). That should equalize each side to have 3-4 castles of easy access.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
Great work! You might not have balanced these, but it's great to have these as a starting point.

Next 5-player game, I'll try it without Greyjoy to try and make the neutral forces go away. But the only changes I make to the usual setup will be to make Pyke impassable and Harrenhal have a neutral force (4?). That should equalize each side to have 3-4 castles of easy access.

FWIW, I set the board up for a 5er without Greyjoy, and decided to abort it. Each side has about even access to castles (with Martell being slightly squeezed), but Lannister would get to hold the three strongholds of Lannisport, Riverrun and Seagard, unopposed. I've tried 3er games before, and without Greyjoy, Stark cannot apply the early-game pressure to stop Lannister. No amount of neutral forces will stop Lannister from holding all 3 strongholds, especially with siege engines.

Instead, I went with the standard 5er setup, but flipped over Sunspear and Yronwood and made them impassable (but Starfall could still be conquered, since it's an interesting battleground for Tyrell/Baratheon). Still fits the theme, since the Dornishmen would probably stay neutral, but not let anybody touch their capitals.

Anyway, 2 of the players flaked, so I didn't get to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
FWIW, I set the board up for a 5er without Greyjoy, and decided to abort it. Each side has about even access to castles (with Martell being slightly squeezed), but Lannister would get to hold the three strongholds of Lannisport, Riverrun and Seagard, unopposed. I've tried 3er games before, and without Greyjoy, Stark cannot apply the early-game pressure to stop Lannister. No amount of neutral forces will stop Lannister from holding all 3 strongholds, especially with siege engines..

One option is to downgrade Seaguard or Rivverun to a castle. Maybe both. That ocean support setup in the West is incredibly powerful for Lannister without Greyjoy to worry about, so this change helps balance things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can definitely get with Seagard being downgraded as it also fits the theme. Looks like it's a stronghold in the game only to give Greyjoy some mustering strength. I hate making changes to the printed board/cards though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
C\\ I hate making changes to the printed board/cards though.

Well at least it is not a permanent change, you can just cover it partially up with a slip of paper or something. I was brave and/or stupid enough to use a permanent marker to make alterations on my 1st edition board devil (changing Rivverun's naval borders to only be with the Golden sound, boosting Oldtown in the 5 player game, fixing the Starfall border error, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vaz
Brazil
Sapiranga
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mb
I played the Greyjoy - Martell - Stark setup, and I loved it, the game was well balanced, Greyjoy got a good start but made serious mistakes in the mid-game, after that it was a race berween Stark and Martell to dominate Greyjoy's castle. I hope I get the chance to play another setup, thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris H.
Germany
flag msg tools
We played a Martell-Tyrell-Baratheon Match this days (see p. 15), but closed the eyre and the twins as well and opened lannisport and fortificated riverrung with strength 6. My overall impression was that Baratheon was almost unattackable and would profit way too much from the eyre which would essentially be untakable by everyone else. However, Tyrell profites VERY much from having a free Lannisport. Dunno how to solve this problem. An alternate suggestion might be to

- Close Lannisport
- Close the Eyre
- Close Riverrun
- Open Flints Fingers
- Open Moat Cailin, Fortificated (6)and the land between moat cailin and flints fingers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried the Stark, Greyjoy, Tyrell setup. Greyjoy took the neck very early, and it became the primary battleground of the game. Stark and Greyjoy recklessly put most of their resources into defending/attacking this province, allowing Tyrell to take the South to victory very easily. Setup seemed to favor Tyrell from the start, but the Starks/Greyjoys didn't do much to impede them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Wanderer
United States
Menlo Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played one of these and found the 4 player ones to be a bit unbalanced. For example whenever there is a lanister without a greyjoy they have essentially have 4 impossible to attack castles if they load up ships in the bay so with lanisport and the hall you only need crackclaw or moat calin. Also bara without a martell can easily take the bay and secure quite a few.

I really think in the 4 player games that the home bases of the unplayed houses should be ~ defense.

Just a feeling from the first few I played with these setups. Other than that really nice setups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Papa Bear
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My group and I has played a few of these setups.

No complaints at all, great work thank you.

The ONLY thing we did was combine certain seas when playing with less than 5 in whichever way seemed appropriate due to which Houses were being played.

Edit: Whenever a starting position seemed a little unbalanced or favoring a House in a certain way, we used that to ignite our negotiation ceremonies!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shezmaine
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re. A 5 player map without greyjoy, simplest thing to do is take the grey joy victory track token and place it on top of the stronghold at seagard. If you 're still worried about lannister power, turn it face down. (This is in addition to making Pyke impassable)

Played a game with this setup and stark won, but only by equal 6 castles vs Martel but having more strongholds. Seems pretty balanced and removes the lannister whipping boy side on the equation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarik Ay
msg tools
These scenarios are super useful. We played over 5 games using variants in this map. They've been pretty balanced. Thanks for the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott hagarty
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Does anyone have the PDF linked in the OP? The link appears to be broken, and I'd love to get ahold of the variants!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ceiteach Mac
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also very interested in this if anybody has a working link, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euron Crows Eye
United Kingdom
radcliffe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the file - pm me your email and Ill send it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrei niculescu
msg tools
In my opinion for the 5 players it's best without Greyjoy, make impassable Pyke and the castle north of it (Funt's Finger). Also the sea around Pyke (IronMan's Bay) should be merged with Sunseat Sea, similar to what Tyrell has.
This way every house has quick access to 3 castles and for me seems more balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.