Subject: Victory Rolls & Maximum Figures Removed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My buddy rolled three tanks with his victory rolls. Ouch.

1) I had only a single tank unit. Do I remove all three figures from this single unit or is the maximum I can remove just one figure from a single unit? We played that I removed all three figures and he destroyed the unit before the game even started! We didn't award him a medal. Did we get that right?

2) My only tank unit started the game off-the-map. Can Victory Roll losses be applied to a unit which is starting off-the-map? It was going to enter via Armor Breakthrough. This was the unit we removed all three figures from. Again, did we handle this correctly?

Edited for clarity and detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
#2 smells wrong to me, but I don't have my book.

I think I remember that you can't remove the last figure of a unit, though, so only two tanks would have been lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the FAQ needs a new section for Campaigns

Message sent to Jesse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phill Webb
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From memory each figure has to be removed from a full strength unit. So once you've removed the first figure the others have to come from a different unit.

For number 2 I'd check whether it specifies "unit on the board" or not.

Phill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McCann
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 You did not play it correctly.

You need to look up this reference:

http://cdn1.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/img/mm_cb2_rolls_re...

VICTORY EVENTS ROLLS PRECEDE RESERVE ROLLS

This is where you made your mistake, An off board unit is not effected. If you have no armor units actually on the board at the time of game setup (that is before reserve rolls are applied) and your opponent tosses three Armors he is a very unlucky dude. They are ALL misses.

Normally, You have to remove a figure for each unit picture your opponent throws. Had you actually had an armor unit on the board before game setup he would have been some lucky dude, since you must remove 3 armor figures and possibly eliminate a unit from play. If you had 3 armor units, you would have had the option of possibly removing either one from each unit or possibly eliminating one unit and keeping two full-strength units. Unfortunatly for your opponent that did not happen.If you have no armor units actually on the board at the time of game setup (before reserve rolls are applied) and your opponent tosses three Armors he is a very unlucky dude. They are ALL misses

Some folks have stated that only one figure is removed from each FULL-STRENGTH unit. Only the person tossing a Grenade makes this choice but it is limited. Since all his dice were armor units this issue does not even come into play.

These same rules would apply with Either CB#1 or CB#2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Sounds like the FAQ needs a new section for Campaigns

Message sent to Jesse

Thanks for the message. Sadly I don't have the time or energy to create a Campaign Book FAQ but if anyone wants to take the challenge, I would be happy to offer my advice and support!

In regard to this question, James has done a wonderful job explaining the rules as they are found in the Campaign System. Even if I were creating a CB FAQ, sadly this question would not qualify because the answer is clearly outlined in the current rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mzungu wrote:

This is where you made your mistake, An off board unit is not effected. If you have no armor units actually on the board at the time of game setup (that is before reserve rolls are applied) and your opponent tosses three Armors he is a very unlucky dude. They are ALL misses.

Thanks. I actually figured this was the case. However, I didn't want to come off as a rules lawyer, particularly if I wasn't certain. So I deferred to my buddy. He was thrilled to wipe out my lone panzer. I figured I'd take the challenge.

Things seem to work out on my reserve rolls when I snagged an elite panzer which started on the map. I figured that evened things up. In hindsight, I wished I'd taken an artillery unit instead as he quickly destroyed my shiny new elite panzer. Oh, well.

The game turned into a real barn-burner. It went down to the wire. It looked like he'd taken control when he wiped out my defenders on both ends of a bridge I was holding. He was in a prime position to blow it up and finish me off. Alas, he failed to two attempts to blow the bridge. My last-ditch counter-attack secured the bridge and killed off enough troops to garner me the win. Needless to say, it was a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mzungu wrote:

I got thinking about this more and I wondered "Why?" I'm not clear what the rationale is for "off-board unit(s) not effected". The way I look at it, my buddy was pounding on me. He'd wracked up a string of victories in the prior battles. So when he hosed by lone off-board panzer, it made sense to me at the level of narrative. It didn't seem unfair or weird. Just bad luck on my part.

Now if playtesting had shown that off-board units could be affected by Victory Rolls really skewed play-balance and that was the basis of the ruling, okay. "We can't allow off-board units to be affected by Victory Rolls. Crazy things happen..." That's perfectly reasonable. Given this was my very first campaign ever, I obviously don't have much experience to work with here. So I defer to the experts.

My sense is that Victory Rolls aren't decisive nor are they intended to be. Their impact is designed to be more marginal and intended to introduce some random elements into the game. It also gives the victorous some momentum. Regardless, the battle will still be decided by the players on the board. Case in point, this game. My buddy had me on the ropes in the campaign with a couple of losses. With his Victory Rolls wiping out my lone off-board panzer, he looked to put me away. Alas, it wasn't to be. I eeked out a victory against the odds and this turned the tide of the campaign. If the intent of the rationale is to limit the impact of Victory Rolls, that makes sense to me. Otherwise, the more I think about it, it seems a little abitrary. Then again, I don't have that much experience with the game. I'll discuss with my buddy. Maybe experience will make the ruling more clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.