1 , 2  Next »   | 

King of Tokyo» Forums » Rules

Subject: FAQ (in english) (answered by Gabriel Iello in a french forum) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ThibautGagin ThibautGagin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
This is the translation of the french FAQ submitted in a previous post (I did some rephrasing to be more concise)

FAQ taken from answers given by Gabriel de Iello in a French forum (tric-trac.net)
Link to the french forum: http://www.trictrac.net/jeux/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91515
Link to the original thread:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/701465/faq-from-french-s...

Game box: there are only 2 cards in double (extra head and evacuation order).

Cards:

Regeneration: when you heal and you have the card, you heal (heart dice) +1 (doesn't work it you have regeneration and somebody else heals you).
+ healing ray: If you use your regeneration power when healing somebody else, you heal (once) an extra life that has to be paid for, like a normal heart dice. (ie 1 heart dice can heal 2 life, for 4 energy).

Fire breathing: your neighbours are the one around the table, so each time you attack, if your target is also your neighbour, he takes one extra damge.

Acid attack: only affects people you can attack (ie not in the same place).

Background dweller: as stated, you reroll all 3s, no limitation.

It has a child: you keep your energy when you respawn.

Wings: you pay the energy whenever you want in the turn (before taking damage of course).

Armour Plating
+ acid attack: acid attack adds to the total damage, so you suffer (claws +1). If claws =0 then you suffer nothing thanks to the armour.
+ poison spit: additional effect are treated seperately, ie if you have 1 poison counter, its effect (losing 1 life) is cancelled by the armour.

Psychic probe: the owner of the card decides which dice is rerolled.

Triggered cards (stretchy, rapid healing, telepathy): as long as you can pay the cost and there is not the "once per turn" limitation, you can activate the card.

Friend of chidren:
+ solar powered: it combines.
+ metamorph: it does not combine (this is not an energy gain ,rather an energy recovering)
+ Monster battery: same as metamorph.

Stretchy:
+ Camouflage: you can pay to affect the dice results of camouflage.
+ any dice result dependent card: as a general rule, it combines.

Frenzy: You go to the next turn at the moment you buy the card, you skip all end of turn events.

Card using a combination of numbers:

Poison quills: it is extra damage not an additional attack. (ie you do (claws + poison quills) damage if you have 222.

Omnivore: only applies once per turn, 112233 doesn't give 4 VP.

Freeze time: if you manage to have 111 on additional turns, you go on having extra turns.
+ herbivore: if the condition is fulfilled at any of the extra turn, it applies.
As a general rule, each extra turn given by freeze time, is a complete normal turn with 1 less dice.

Heart dice and healing in Tokyo

The king of Tokyo cannot use heart dice for healing himself, so he cannot remove poison tokens and shrink ray tokens.

Fast healing can be used in Tokyo.

Healing ray: The king of Tokyo can use the heart dice to heal others. The king of tokyo can be healed by the healing ray.

Mimic and cloning cards:

Extra head x2 + mimic: would have a need of 3 extra dice. Only 2 are in the box. Deal with it ^^.

Cloning cards with tokens: the card mimicked is mimicked as if you just bought it (regardless of the actual remaining token on the card you mimic).

Mimic + Freeze time: 111 gives 2 extra turns (to a theoretical 31 total turns!)

As a general rule: 2 identical cards are resolved separately (but at the same time, with the same trigger).

Specific cases:

2x Rooting for the Underdog: effects happen at the same time, so if triggered, you would gain 2 VP.

2x Omnivore: effect applies once per turn for each card.

2x Even bigger: go to 14 life point max, and gain 4 life.

2x Made in a lab: mimic has no effect there: if you don't buy the 1st card on the deck, you cannot peek at the 2nd.

Order of resolution:

Psychic probe: If you still have rerolls left, you cannot use them after a psychic probe effect (which takes place the moment you declare that you keep the dice results).

Several cards with "end of turn" effect: order decided by the active player.

Cards using dice results (poison quills, total destruction...): only applies with your final dice results.

Partial dice results: you can resolve partially your results and use a card effect (stretchy) to hange a dice face.
However: you cannot benefit twice from a dice: if you change a dice you have resolved (like energy), the changed dice has no effect (claw, heart, gaining victory point).
An exception exists for Freezing Time, which states "get an extra turn if at the end of the turn you have 111", therefore you could change a dice you have resolved for a 1, and get an extra turn (but not the victory point associated with 111).

Unstable DNA: This is a goodies card and is not officially part of the game. For all purposes, this card is resolved after having resolved the dice (for example, you cannot take the Wings of an attacker while yielding Tokyo and use them immediately.

corrected on 02/01/2012 (omnivore, and typo)
corrected on 04/01/2012 (names of Armour plating, Freeze time and Frenzy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schneider
Germany
Regensburg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, this clears up some things I was curious about.

However, I think there is one typo in the FAQ:

Quote:
Omnivore: only applies once per turn, 112233 doesn't give 4 life.

I think it should be 4 VP, unless Omnivore is erroneous in the german edition and should give 2 life instead of 2 VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann Delalande
France
Solliès-Ville
PACA
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmbmbmbmb
mongoose86 wrote:
Thanks, this clears up some things I was curious about.

However, I think there is one typo in the FAQ:

Quote:
Omnivore: only applies once per turn, 112233 doesn't give 4 life.

I think it should be 4 VP, unless Omnivore is erroneous in the german edition and should give 2 life instead of 2 VP.

That's right. I've just checked the card in French and it says 2VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Corrected. Thx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pearsall
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be the official ruling, but I'm still playing the way the English rules are written for the Heart Result in Tokyo... You can't use the heart result for ANYTHING.

I wish we could find out the intention from Richard Garfield himself. He would have designed the game in English, right? So the original French rules are already a translation, which can always cause issues. He may have indeed meant it to mean you cannot heal yourself in Tokyo, but you can use the heart result for other things.

It just seems to me that it is much simpler to say ignore all heart results on your dice when in Tokyo. That way you don't have to remember several exceptions (no healing in Tokyo, unless you heal someone else, etc...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Stadler
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael: I'm pretty sure Richard Garfield did not write (as in edit the pdf) the rules. It was translated by a translator / technical writer from the French original (rules written by a technical writer). And this is where the incomplete sentence comes from in the English edition. Even the bracket says you can heal using cards and for that you need the hearts symbol most of the time.

But if you refuse to see the logic out of stubbornness, it's your game and you play it the way you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pearsall
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
stadi wrote:
Michael: I'm pretty sure Richard Garfield did not write (as in edit the pdf) the rules. It was translated by a translator / technical writer from the French original (rules written by a technical writer). And this is where the incomplete sentence comes from in the English edition.

I understand Richard Garfield probably did not physically write the French rules. He designed the game, though, in English. My point is that it is possible that the writer of the rules misinterpreted what he intended and the French rules were not correct in the first place. I'm curious how he plays the game at home.

stadi wrote:
Even the bracket says you can heal using cards and for that you need the hearts symbol most of the time.

The English rules say:

Quote:
The Monster in Tokyo cannot use the heart result on the dice (but can heal using cards).

It's very straight-forward. You can't use the heart result at all. I am under the impression that it is worded differently in the French rules, but I feel that the English rules make perfect sense and are "cleaner" than the French rules.

stadi wrote:
But if you refuse to see the logic out of stubbornness, it's your game and you play it the way you like.

Ha ha! I've been called a lot of things, stubborn is one of the nicer things! I don't think I'm being illogical, though. Until Richard Garfield himself says what the original intent was, I will play it the way I like, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Stadler
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
fanaka66 wrote:
The English rules say:

Quote:
The Monster in Tokyo cannot use the heart result on the dice (but can heal using cards).

I believe they wanted to write something like this:
Quote:
The Monster in Tokyo cannot use the heart result on the dice on it's own (but can heal using cards).
but that part was lost in translation.

But hopefully Richard will clarify this soon.

Regarding the stubborn part, it wasn't meant to be an insult

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of errors:
Plated Armour is named Armor Plating on the card.
Fury is named Frenzy on the card.
Freezing Time (mentioned twice in the FAQ) is named Freeze Time on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Corrected, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muddy Boots
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the translation. Really useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThibautGagin wrote:

What exactly does "Fast healing" mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disgustipater wrote:
ThibautGagin wrote:

What exactly does "Fast healing" mean?

Probably "Rapid Healing" card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

Ah, you're probably right. Though why that is a frequently asked question, I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disgustipater wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Ah, you're probably right. Though why that is a frequently asked question, I'm not sure.

Well it was never necessarily clear what kind of healing was allowed in tokyo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Well it was never necessarily clear what kind of healing was allowed in tokyo.

The Rules wrote:
The Monster in Tokyo cannot use the [HEART] result on the dice (but can heal using cards).

Rapid Healing is a card. Seems pretty clear to me.

/shrug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the King of Tokyo wouldn't be able to use heart dices for other thing than healing, then Total Destruction wouldn't be played by him. I'm not convinced.
It's true french rules state that hearts can't be used to heal when in Tokyo, so they can be used to activate other stuff and I think this is a good way to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pearsall
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked Richard Garfield about using hearts in Tokyo:

mikep wrote:
Richard,

Any chance you could clear up a rules question in King of Tokyo?

Can a monster in Tokyo use the heart symbol?

The English rules say that it can’t be used, but the French rules apparently say that it can be used, except for healing.

How do you play it?

Richard Garfield wrote:
I was just going over an FAQ that raised this issue – I wasn’t aware of it. I have always played the heart couldn’t be used for healing, or getting rid of bad counters but in the rare case where it is useful outside of healing it can be used (Complete Destruction). This seems more complex than just having it be that the heart is a ‘blank’ face in Tokyo, and the FAQ/next edition may move in that direction.

This is an important issue for the expansion, since you will reveal monster evolutions when you roll 3+ hearts.

Thread: http://www.threedonkeys.com/blog/archives/722#comment-3433
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
This is why I never by a game unless all the rules, cards, charts, etc. are in ENGLISH. It may be all the rage whenever the big Essen thing happens, but I can manage to wait until Rio Grande or someone else published it in English a couple months down the road with wetting myself. Granted, I wasn't always so patient: I've suffered many times with premature pre-order disorder, but I finally learned my lesson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjetil Svendsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
My Secret Santa is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
ThibautGagin wrote:
Mimic + Freeze time: 111 gives 2 extra turns (to a theoretical 31 total turns!)

31 turns? Bah, that is nothing! With 2 Extra Heads and a Frenzy you could have a total of 254 turns

Now who will be the first to pull that off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S
msg tools
There is a card that lets you heal other people in exchange for their energy. I see no reason why you can't use this in Tokyo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Was looking for someone who could offer a bit of clarity on one line in this FAQ: "Mimic + Freeze time: 111 gives 2 extra turns (to a theoretical 31 total turns!)". I've looked over the cards a couple of times and not seeing how 31 turns is possible exactly. On the first roll, you could get 111 twice for a total of 4 extra turns. After that, you lose one dice each turn and could only get 111 once from there on(allowing for 2 extra turns). Could someone break this down very specifically and detail how 31 turns would be earned? Thanks in advance for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you have two Extra Heads?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrBallast wrote:
Was looking for someone who could offer a bit of clarity on one line in this FAQ: "Mimic + Freeze time: 111 gives 2 extra turns (to a theoretical 31 total turns!)". I've looked over the cards a couple of times and not seeing how 31 turns is possible exactly. On the first roll, you could get 111 twice for a total of 4 extra turns. After that, you lose one dice each turn and could only get 111 once from there on(allowing for 2 extra turns). Could someone break this down very specifically and detail how 31 turns would be earned? Thanks in advance for any help.

Each time you get 111 you get two extra turns, even during those extra turns.

So...
Turn 1: 111 111 = 4 extra turns.
Turn 1.1: 111 XX = 2 extra turn.
Turn 1.1.1: 111 X = 2 extra turns.
Turn 1.1.1.1: 111 = 2 extra turns.
Turn 1.1.1.1.1: XX = no extra turns.
Turn 1.1.1.1.2: XX = no extra turns.
Turn 1.1.1.2: 111 = 2 extra turns.
Turn 1.1.1.2.1: XX = no extra turns.
Turn 1.1.1.2.2: XX = no extra turns.
Turn 1.1.2: 111 X = 2 extra turns.
Turn 1.1.2.1: 111 = 2 extra turns.
Turn 1.1.2.1.1: XX = no extra turns.
Turn 1.1.2.1.2: XX = no extra turns.
Turn 1.1.2.2: 111 = 2 extra turns.
Turn 1.1.2.2.1: XX = no extra turns.
Turn 1.1.2.2.2: XX = no extra turns.
Turn 1.2: 111 XX = 2 extra turn.
Turn 1.2.1: 111 X = 2 extra turns.
Turn 1.2.1.1: 111 = 2 extra turns.
Turn 1.2.1.1.1: XX = no extra turns.
Turn 1.2.1.1.2: XX = no extra turns.
Turn 1.2.1.2: 111 = 2 extra turns.
Turn 1.2.1.2.1: XX = no extra turns.
Turn 1.2.1.2.2: XX = no extra turns.
Turn 1.2.2: 111 X = 2 extra turns.
Turn 1.2.2.1: 111 = 2 extra turns.
Turn 1.2.2.1.1: XX = no extra turns.
Turn 1.2.2.1.2: XX = no extra turns.
Turn 1.2.2.2: 111 = 2 extra turns.
Turn 1.2.2.2.1: XX = no extra turns.
Turn 1.2.2.2.2: XX = no extra turns.

Does that make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
What if you have two Extra Heads?

I'm not typing that out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.