$10.00
Recommend
525 
 Thumb up
 Hide
318 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 

A Few Acres of Snow» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules changes from Martin Wallace rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rules [+] favorite_information [+] DaFrog [+] AFAoS [+] AFAOS-rules [+] [View All]
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Sorry for the delay in posting these rules changes. Part of the delay has been to allow time to test the changes.

The changes are:

1. Remove the French bateaux card from the initial deck and place it with the availble cards.

2. Reserve - you cannot place location cards in your reserve.

3. Raids - the raid distance is now two connections plus one connection for each additional card played (so playing two Native American cards would allow you to raid a location up to three connections away).

4. Home Support - you can only take cards from your draw deck, so if you had fewer than three cards available you would only be able to draw these. Consequently, the only time you shuffle your discard pile is when you need to refill your hand at the end of the turn and your draw deck is exhausted.

What I have realised in testing different versions of the game is that in itself is what could make the game retain long-term playability. Changing the rules is effectively the same as the changing card combinations in Dominion. What I am planning on doing is publishing varients on the Treefrog website. It's probably best to think of them as scenarios. Some of these will take the form of'what-ifs', allowing the game to diverge from published history.

Many thanks for your patience in waiting for an 'official' response. I am aware that this will not stop more posts being made by various persons, but that's the nature of the Geek, so no point in worrying about it.

Martin
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Round Lake Beach
Illinois
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog1 wrote:
Sorry for the delay in posting these rules changes. Part of the delay has been to allow time to test the changes.

The changes are:

1. Remove the French bateaux card from the initial deck and place it with the availble cards.

2. Reserve - you cannot place location cards in your reserve.

3. Raids - the raid distance is now two connections plus one connection for each additional card played (so playing two Native American cards would allow you to raid a location up to three connections away).

4. Home Support - you can only take cards from your draw deck, so if you had fewer than three cards available you would only be able to draw these. Consequently, the only time you shuffle your discard pile is when you need to refill your hand at the end of the turn and your draw deck is exhausted.

What I have realised in testing different versions of the game is that in itself is what could make the game retain long-term playability. Changing the rules is effectively the same as the changing card combinations in Dominion. What I am planning on doing is publishing varients on the Treefrog website. It's probably best to think of them as scenarios. Some of these will take the form of'what-ifs', allowing the game to diverge from published history.

Many thanks for your patience in waiting for an 'official' response. I am aware that this will not stop more posts being made by various persons, but that's the nature of the Geek, so no point in worrying about it.

Martin


Thanks for this Martin! Greatly appreciate the time and effort put in to attempt to fix the "problem". I think A Few Acres of Snow is a great game with even greater potential, and would have included it in my 2011 top 10 games were it not for all of the confusion and conflict regarding these rules you just updated. I will, likely, give it an honorable mention!

Thanks again!
31 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Who?
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for the considered modifications and I'm excited about the possible future senarios. The game has been a wonderful xmas gift we have played many times aready.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
◄ əpıʌɐp ►
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Must... play... NOW!!!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
YAY!

Frog1 wrote:
What I have realised in testing different versions of the game is that in itself is what could make the game retain long-term playability. Changing the rules is effectively the same as the changing card combinations in Dominion. What I am planning on doing is publishing varients on the Treefrog website. It's probably best to think of them as scenarios. Some of these will take the form of'what-ifs', allowing the game to diverge from published history.

Are these variants going to be different rules, such as the above, or differences in starting conditions, (e.g., removing French Bateaux or let's say Brits have settled Richmond)?

The real question is: how long will it take Brer Bear to implement these?
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited to see how the new changes will affect gameplay; my guess is that it will open things up again quite a bit. Martin, thank you for designing this incredible game! By merely looking at the level of interest and discussion that has been taking place around AFAOS, it's obvious you've designed something special. Here's wishing you and Treefrog a wonderful 2012!
26 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Burgess
Canada
Oxford Mills
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'm thrilled. Frankly, I'm almost allcaps thrilled. Finally, I can maybe pull out a win against my son (7yo).

Thanks Martin!

Darcy
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Quietly removes 'A Few Acres of Snow' from the trade pile..."



Question: Will there be an official Treefrog PDF of the updated rules?
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, Martin!

I wish the best for this game!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

I'm very excited about the scenarios. Hopefully there's some radically different setups to further provide replayability.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Who?
Canada
flag msg tools
Regarding possible senarios, the limited available location cards for each side in the current AFAoS severly limits future senario options without an expansion set of cards? no?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
What? You make with the funny stuff?
badge
I don't feel tardy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Martin, looking forward to trying these changes. Should make a lot more, if not more interesting decisions that will need to be made, in gameplay. Thanks for the great design!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the official rules changes, Martin. Prospect of additional variants also sound very interesting.

Now everyone who lowered the rating due to HH strategy, after applying new rules, should reconsider it and rate the game as highly as it deserves.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will, once the new year is over and I have consulted with Martin, add these to the FAQ list. The main issue is exactly how to present them, including wording. I guess this will take a week or two (but don't hold me to that).

I haven't played with this set of changes. I will mention that I did beat Martin 4-0 as British with some earlier sets of suggestions (all including the HS change, some including the reserve change, and also including changes not on this list. I suspect one of those will reappear in a scenario.
18 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wolfe
United States
BLOOMINGTON
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These seem like outstanding changes and I'm eager to test them out.

I have one question: do you think it would be possible to offer card blanks? I'd like to order a few for the sake of printing up 1) a fixed Venango card, 2) a lighter-blue bateaux, and 3) replacements for cards that have been damaged (as I'm sure my wife and I will be playing A Few Acres for a long while).

Thanks, and have a happy new year!
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent news! This is such a great game and I am so happy to see it gain new life.

My girlfriend will also be extremely happy as she really likes this game and has been peeved with me for not playing it!

Looking forward to the variants as well!

Happy New Years indeed!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrswlf wrote:
These seem like outstanding changes and I'm eager to test them out.

I have one question: do you think it would be possible to offer card blanks? I'd like to order a few for the sake of printing up 1) a fixed Venango card, 2) a lighter-blue bateaux, and 3) replacements for cards that have been damaged (as I'm sure my wife and I will be playing A Few Acres for a long while).

Thanks, and have a happy new year!


If you sleeve your cards, a fixed Venago card is available in the images or files section.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us waiting on the sidelines, I'm curious when a second edition with the new rules (and fixed cards) might be printed.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Martin. I can't wait to try these changes out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quartex wrote:
For those of us waiting on the sidelines, I'm curious when a second edition with the new rules (and fixed cards) might be printed.


Same here. I'll own the game at some point, I just haven't picked it up yet. At this point, it seems like I can wait a bit longer if formal fixes are coming.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this were a FFG title, there would be a thousand posts about lack of play-testing before release.
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
Canada
flag msg tools
You can't fall when you've hit the bottom
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog1 wrote:

2. Reserve - you cannot place location cards in your reserve.


Losing a siege/raid is now a disaster, since you can't reserve the worthless card.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:
If this were a FFG title, there would be a thousand posts about lack of play-testing before release.


So you haven't been reading the AFAOS posts?

There have been a ton already of this nature. They weren't done in a nasty tone, as they likely would have for a FFG release though.

15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoît Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knave wrote:
Frog1 wrote:

2. Reserve - you cannot place location cards in your reserve.


Losing a siege/raid is now a disaster, since you can't reserve the worthless card.



Well, governor becomes a key card I suppose.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Knave wrote:
Frog1 wrote:

2. Reserve - you cannot place location cards in your reserve.


Losing a siege/raid is now a disaster, since you can't reserve the worthless card.


No. Governor now becomes a useful card.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.