Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunga Dunga
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This month's BGG Wargame Designer Of The Month is Richard Borg, who has designed over 50 board games since the 1988 publication of "Liars Dice", for which he won the "Spiel des Jahres" prize in 1993 (republished as "Bluff").

Mr. Borg has developed games in many different genres: collectible card games, family games, role-playing games and wargames. His games have been published by Milton Bradley, GMT, Days of Wonder and Fantasy Flight Games.

In the world of wargames, Mr. Borg is probably best known for Memoir '44 and Command & Colors: Ancients, games that have served as a gateway into our hobby for many new wargamers, both young and old.

I invited Mr. Borg to join us over some beer and wings to talk about, well, whatever you folks want to talk about!

Please join me in giving Mr. Borg a warm, BGG-Wargame-Subdomain welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for Memoir'44. My most played game and one that I had the pleasure of betatesting in it's digital form.

Can you tell us a little bit about how you go about creating a scenario for Memoir'44?

And the question I need to ask even if I know you can't answer: How much more Memeoir do you have for us?

Stig Morten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mb

Mr. Borg is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

He has a rare combination of superb creative talent and the ability to be patient with fans.

thumbsup for this selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Mr. Borg. I have enjoyed Battle Cry, Battlelore and Memoir'44 since their release (Battlelore is one of the few games my fiancee will play). Liar's dice is also fun.

I know your war game designs are 'lighter' than the standard fare, and that is not a criticism, but have you ever considered going 'down' in scale to something more tactical?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
IIRC, Paul Blake mentioned that your game design for Abaddon pre-dates your C&C game system. Why has it taken so long for Abaddon to be produced? Why Toy Vault instead of a bigger publisher?

Edit: Do you think BattleLore is pretty much dead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
He has a rare combination of superb creative talent and the ability to be patient with fans.

Comes with the last name, I wager.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
I tried to stay away from Memoir '44 and other games designed by Borg, but resistance was futile.

Played that game tons, and also Battle Cry and Commands & Colors: Ancients.

These games helped introduce my daughter and other people in my surroundings to wargaming, so A VERY WARM thanks to Richard Borg's contribution to the hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great selection. Any plans for iOS implementation of any of your games, Mr. Borg?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam E.
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Richard! Very much deserved. (And if this isn't a new award, then very much overdue.)

I'll bet there must be people for whom your games have changed the course of their lives in some significant way. If you have some stories like that, could you please share one or two?

Thanks!

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever smelled anything so bad that you vomited?

If so.... what was it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Sager
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 has turned my grandnephew into an avid wargamer, Thank you Mr. Borg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Vanhuyse
Belgium
Rumbeke
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very nice talented man indeed, memoir'44 opend a new world for me as some of you know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Mr. Borg!

I love Memoir. I love Ancients, and Battle Cry singlehandedly got me interested in learning more about the Civil War, and that is high praise.

I had 2 questions:

1) Any chance you will make an American Revolution game based on the Command & Colors system? If so, will it be more like Battle Cry (plastic) or Command & Colors: Napoleonics (blocks).

2) Any chance we'll see a Korean War expansion for Memoir?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Kallista, jewel of the Dandenongs
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice choice. M44 has been my gamer grooming tool of choice for some time now.

Of all the games you have designed, which design or mechanic are you most pleased with? Define 'pleased' as you will - successful, good fit to theme, accurate implementation of a process or event, other...

Bonus / extension question: I. with many others, have been guilty of mixing the Borgs with the Bergs. Both have some great games and nifty designs. But if you could go one-on-one with the other Richard B, clonk him over the head in a dark alley and rustle through his game design pockets before zipping back in time, what would be the design or mechanic you would like to call your own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that's what I call starting the year with a bang!

Hoka hey!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to hear about your relationship with FFG and why they decided to rebrand Battlelore into the Battle of Westeros.

Seems that I remember you had all these other races planned for the Battlelore game and FFG did a 180 and released an all new game, Battle of Westeros, under the Battlelore umbrella.

Now it appears Battlelore is likely done as FFG has sold all the Battlelore inventory cheap during their holiday sale.

Not too impressed with how FFG handled the Battlelore line. Expected bigger things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard I have really enjoyed your games over the years particularly Command and Colors. I know that there is a new edition of Battlecry out, but any chance of seeing the Civil War done in the more sophisticated C&C system once C&C Napoleon is complete?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great games, Richard! Past, present, and future!

I'm currently enjoying the new Spanish and Spartan expansions for C&C: Napoleonics and Ancients.

Congratulations on being selected as the BGG Wargame Designer of the Month!

Questions:

1. What is the most difficult game design you've been involved with?

2. Which of your game designs has exceeded your expectations?

3. What games or game designs do you enjoy? What about them appeals to you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Richard. Owner of a fully painted Battle Cry w/ terrain here, and played M44 with a friend of mine years ago. I'm currently looking at picking up some more intermediate level wargames.

C&C:Ancients and C&C:Napoleonics are on my list, but whenever I look at them I kind of wish there was a little more. Have you ever thought about doing sort of a "C&C Advanced" series? Keep the idea of being simple and accessible, but with a significantly bigger board, bit more depth to the rules, more tactics to apply, etc... I think Ancients and Napoleonics are a good step up from the earlier games, but it would be great to have another significant jump above that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
and let's not forget X-Men Alert! Good job!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles Vasey wrote:
Now that's what I call starting the year with a bang!

Hoka hey!
That would have been Emiliano Sciarra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, you've done a lot to bring wargaming to a wider audience with the accessibility of the Command & Colors system. I think that's beneficial to all of us who enjoy the hobby. Thanks a lot for your contributions.

I'm looking forward to Abaddon and have 2 questions.

Do you have any guess as to a release date for the game?

If Abaddon is successful (and I think it will be) would it be supported by future expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Borg
United States
Orlando
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
Thank you for Memoir'44. My most played game and one that I had the pleasure of betatesting in it's digital form.

Can you tell us a little bit about how you go about creating a scenario for Memoir'44?

(RB) The procedure in similar for any of our Commands & Colors game scenarios. We first do research and a lot of reading on the battle, which has become somewhat easier with the resources that can be found on the web. I do have a large library, and many of the guys that I game with here in Orlando also have an extensive collection of books on a variety of historical topics. If we can find one, a map is always a very big help.

Pat Kurivial or I usually set up the battle and we game though the scenario a couple of times. Note, during playtesting we usually game with three players on a side. This is possible because the battle is fought with 20mm WWII miniatures on a battlefield with 5” hexes and 3D terrain. I do have to admit the guys I playtest with are great when I start changing a scenario on the fly. Most of the time I do not have the opportunity to play. For me it is more important to get a good overview of the battle and with a team of players on each side it allows to hear and see how the team reacts and approaches the scenario. After this first playtest session, I go back and take another look at the history and will make any adjustments before our next playtest. Sometimes a battle may take a third session. We usually run through a battle 5 to 10 times before we know a scenario is working well. Doing a good job of playtesting, in my opinion, is the key to making the scenario the very best it can be and provide an enjoyable and challenging experience for those that play the game.

Quote:
And the question I need to ask even if I know you can't answer: How much more Memeoir do you have for us?

(RB) You are correct Stig, I cannot say much about anything except there are some very cool expansions coming for Memoir in 2012 and beyond.

wrote:
Stig Morten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Borg
United States
Orlando
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Congratulations Mr. Borg. I have enjoyed Battle Cry, Battlelore and Memoir'44 since their release (Battlelore is one of the few games my fiancee will play). Liar's dice is also fun.

(RB) I can’t get my wife to play a wargame, you are a lucky guy. Sandy will play Liars Dice, Yahtzee Free For ALL and other family style and euro prototype designs of mine, but she can’t get me to play word games so I guess we are at a break even

Quote:
I know your war game designs are 'lighter' than the standard fare, and that is not a criticism, but have you ever considered going 'down' in scale to something more tactical?

(RB) Yes, but currently I am fairly busy with all the expansions for the Commands & Colors game system.

Richard Borg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Borg
United States
Orlando
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
IIRC, Paul Blake mentioned that your game design for Abaddon pre-dates your C&C game system. Why has it taken so long for Abaddon to be produced? Why Toy Vault instead of a bigger publisher?

(RB) I truly believe that Toy Vault would deliver a first class product. I like the guys at Toy Vault and they shared the vision that Abaddon has the potential to be a line of game items.

Quote:
Edit: Do you think BattleLore is pretty much dead?

(RB) Not at all!

Richard Borg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.