2 Posts

Zombie Fluxx» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Zombie Fluxx Review: Comparison to Original Fluxx rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. Turner
United States
flag msg tools
I wanted to do a review compaing the similarities and differences between the Original Fluxx game and the Zombie Fluxx game. This is intended for people who have already played Fluxx and are considering buying the Zombie version or for those who aren't sure which version to get.

If you have already played Fluxx, you know how it works. If you haven't tried it out yet, check out my Fluxx review.

Similarities
Compared to Fluxx, Zombie Fluss has the same mechanics. There are Keepers, Creepers, New Rules, Goals, and Actions. The rules are always changing and there is chaos aplenty. There are Goals where you need two Keepers and Goals where you can win with Creepers.

The artwork on the game is consistent with the V4.0 Fluxx and is well done with touches of humor. You will likely get a kick out of some of the Zombie Creepers and Friend Keepers.

Differences
While the New Rules and Actions change to fit into the Zombie theme, the most notable changes are the Keepers, Creepers, and Goals.

Keepers: Instead of cute things like 'Milk' and 'Cookies', the Keepers are now things that would be useful in a Zombie apocalypse. You'll find things like 'The Chainsaw', 'The Shotgun', and various 'Friends'.

Creepers: Fluxx has only few Creepers, while Zombie Flux is loaded with Zombie Creepers. This is one of the biggest differences between the versions.

Goals: Since the Keepers and Creepers are different, the Goals change accordingly. The goals are still clever -- combine 'Lumber' and 'Can of Gas' for the 'They Fear Fire' goal. With the increase in Creepers, there are also more goals where Zombies don't prevent a win, and there are more goals where Zombies are REQUIRED for a win. Get the 'Baseball Bat' and nine Zombies, and you can complete the 'Zombie Baseball Team' goal. There is even and 'Ungoal' that lets the Zombies win if there are enough of them on the table.

Overall
Zombie Fluxx maintains the feel of Fluxx with Zombies adding to the chaos. Instead of playing Keepers and hoping a matching goal comes up, you need to make a choice if you want to avoid Creepers, or embrace them and shoot for one of the Creeper-laden Goals. Other than the theme, that is the biggest change to the gameplay that will determine if Zombie Fluxx is your cup of tea.

You may find that adding chaos to an already chaotic game makes it better, or you may find that it pushes it over the edge from quirky fun to not as much fun as the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it. Okay I love some of the other editions more, but this one is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.