Subject: A lion's lessons - The Fairmarket Price rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Now for the Stark expansion.

My first impression was that Stark had a light advantage. Lannister started with
two objectives, and the dire need to capture an additional one. The one on the
building seemed no good choice for me. The southern way was hard to take, with
the forest right at the ford and Greatjon waiting to slash crossing units to pieces.
The northern way would take me through marshes, with red rank maidens waiting
for me.

I decided to go for both the northern objectives. The ford, i thought, could easily
be taken, my red rank foot would arrive in time, and i had archers to fire into the
marshes with Kevans support.

Should Galbart decide to stay and defend the hills, at least his units would be
bound and my western ford would be secure. They could not help out on the
right flank, as well. Should they choose to rush south or east, there should be
a great possibility to take the hills.

I had my heavy infantry the right ford. Stark moved into the marches, right out
of my reach, and his shield maidens started moving as well. Kevan and my archers
went forth, raining an off-balance, commander-supported and marsh-target-aided
pack of arrows onto those northmen.

Galbart and the Stark cavalry started to move south along the western river. I started
firing arrows and engaging them with my other foot. Adam stayed well behind, but
when the moment was right, his cavalry rushed forward to kill the Stark riders. The
Greatjon entered the forest and started fighting my infantry.

I decided not to fire into the marches again but to send my arrows to the left, making
sure the Glover forces would soon be scattered. Toughest unit to finish were those
shield maidens, then only Galbart himself and some reduced strength archers remained.
They posed no threat to my own ford and i was sure to take the hills with my cavalry.

Greatjon did finish my heavy guys though, and advanced onto my ford, so i needed to
either take that one back or get the northern ford. A single remaining northmen figure
had crossed that one, but red rank shield maidens were sitting on the ford in defense
stance, after morale against my lannisport guards, who had held that ford for a minute
or two.

I rode down again with Adam, planning to use his commit ability to drive Greatjon from
the ford and claim it back, but Stark saw that one coming and moved his archers into the
forest, preventing retreats by his commander. In the final turn of the final round, i started
one last desperate attack against the shield maidens, but failed to kill them or drive them
off, so Stark called a victory.

After the battle, we talked about tactical mistakes. I guess i should have taken a bit more
care of my eastern ford, and i should have used my archers against those maidens advancing
through the marshes. And had i recognized Starks possibility to block Greatjons retreat path,
Adam could have attacked the northern ford, too, weakening the maidens or forcing them
to retreat.

Stark said he should not have broken his formation at the hills so easily, and wait for me
to advance, keeping his cavalry ready to rush either past my troops to take the southern
ford, or to get over and lend a sword at the eastern objective. Rushing into close combat
gave me plenty opportunities to attack units who were no longer stalwart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report!

So, would you guys call this one unbalanced? It looks and sounds that way.

Maybe replacing the regular archers with Crossbowmen would give the Lannisters more of a fighting chance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would still see a light advantage for Stark, but a very light. The game could have easily won by me in the last round, and with so many tactical choices, i would not call that unbalanced or modify anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lannister4live wrote:
I would still see a light advantage for Stark, but a very light. The game could have easily won by me in the last round, and with so many tactical choices, i would not call that unbalanced or modify anything.

Ok, I'll take your word for it, but at some point, probably after you guys have played the scenarios multiple times, we're going to have to get down to the business of modifying a few.

Looking forward to the next report, as always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Stark scores a clear victory in a second game, when we both know the scenario, yes, then we might talk about modifications. But if a second and more informed game is still a close call or even a Lannister victory, well then its the way it should be.

We just finished playing scenario 15, i'll write the report next week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Fischer
United States
Ellendale
North Dakota
flag msg tools
The truth is always in the last place you look
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing these session reports Jan, I do enjoy reading them as I do not get many opportunities to get a 2 player game session in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lannister4live wrote:
If Stark scores a clear victory in a second game, when we both know the scenario, yes, then we might talk about modifications. But if a second and more informed game is still a close call or even a Lannister victory, well then its the way it should be.

We just finished playing scenario 15, i'll write the report next week

Well, I know that certain scenarios need work, particularly the first one, because I've played several of them repeatedly, the first one many times. In the end, between experienced players, Lannister must pray for flags and that is just not the way it should be, IMO.

I really want to the try switching Maege and Karstark's starting positions. That might make the scenario really interesting, if not more balanced, because it at least eliminates the best strategy being turtling on one objective with Karstark and it would give Lannister a good incentive to tangle with and potentially delay the "Lost" Stark Units that start away from the objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for your nice words, Kelly!

And Ian, yes, if you played a scenario several time and the outcame is always the same, save for great luck, it should probably be rebalanced. We played every scenario just once so far, and i would like to play them again at least once, and maybe even play them with switched sides (dont know if i could stand to have my beloved units commanded by someone else, thought ).

But since we have so many scenarios still left to play, it migth take some time till we get there. And i would rather not modify scenarios too quick. Often, when talking about some battle we had, we find many more possible tactics then we thought of when playing.
And even those seemingly unbalanced ones always have those "if i had only done x instead of y" parts, where you wonder whether another choice would have gained victory...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, after playing 15 (no, I'm not telling - wait for Jans report ), I'm starting to think that I like the "unbalanced" scenarios even more. I like the challenge. Our last session was the most fun I had, even long before it started, just because it looks so unbalanced. So I really spent time preparing, re-read the relevant rules, spent a lot of thought on whether to start my riders in Wedge or Line formation, and so on.
And even if it is unbalanced, and I can win it say only one time in 5 - I don't care. It's more fun that way than a perfectly balanced scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.