Gettysburg (1977 Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: artillery range rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis Lopez Tejeda
Spain
flag msg tools
Hello Guys.

i m new in this forum, so hello everyone. I used to play wargames long ago and I have recently bought Gettysburg 1977.

I just wanted to ask what is the range of the artillery!!! I cannot find information about this in the intermediate rules!!

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
3D printing available for service at: http://www.3dhubs.com/los-angeles/hubs/martin-chino
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you checked the files section? They might have your answer.

Also in the more information section it lists a few of the General magazine articles where you can find more info on the game.

check this out and download at the bottom the correct volume you need.

www.ahgeneral.org/sale/forsale.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Lopez Tejeda
Spain
flag msg tools
Actually, I did not find anything about my enquire...

THanks for your answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Artillery has no range in the intermediate rules, it fights adjacent units more or less like infantry units do, with a few special rules. There is an optional rule for the intermediate game that allows artillery a 5 hex "range of influence" which simply denies the enemy using strategic (road) movement within 5 hexes of artillery instead of the normal 3 hexes.

We immediately came up with house rules to give arty some range, cannot remember 30+ years later exactly what they were but it something simple like letting them attack individually within 5 hexes with a 1 being a D1 result and a 2 being a DR result.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Lopez Tejeda
Spain
flag msg tools
Thank you!!!

I was thinking in that... like Napoleon at waterloo, and I found that the range of the guns were from 0.8 to 1,5 miles... more or less... ligher guns (the one used by cavalry has less range)

SO, I will do this...

4 hexes for regular arty
2 hexes for mounted arty.

Considering that an hex is about 0.3 miles... (i could be wrong!!!) and the max range the acurecy and dispersion does not make big effect.

This could give many tactical options...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
In the ACW "mounted artillery" used the same guns as the "regular artillery", the difference being the crews were completely mounted and trained to operate as highly mobile units. There would be no difference in range.

Hexes are 252 yards from hexside to hexside. 5 hexes is thus 1260 yards, well within range of the Napoleons, Parrots and 3" Rifles that made up the bulk of both sides artillery.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Snyder
United States
Danville
Virginia
flag msg tools
If nothing else, check out the advanced game artillery rules. 5 hex range for howitzers, 6 for napoleons, and 8 for rifled guns. Since most artillery battalions/brigades (and some batteries, especially in the Confederate army) contained more than one type of gun, that could be problematic, but it seems like the vast majority are napoleons. Also, in the advanced game, artillery firing at a range >1 hex is far less effective than in "combat fire" (if I remember correctly), and damage falls off with range. May want to keep that in mind too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.