Battles of Westeros: Wardens of the North» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A lion's lessons - Before the Kneeling Man rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That one seemed somehow unwinnable for Stark.

First, i had Tywins cavalry advance over and onto the ford. It took the northmen half
a heartbeat at most to kill them. I was still confused about how quick my men fell
when Stark launched his first attack against the inn, getting one of my heavy armor
stalwart covered infantry to reduced strength.

I had Gregor step out and fight the riders, buying some time. Kevan urged his
men forward over the river. Tywin himself took several blows by the Smalljon, who
was driving him back over the river, far south. I was very glad, though, cause the
Smalljon joining the attack against the inn could have cost me a strategy marker.

I used Tywins commit ability to move some heavy infantry back into the southern
part of the inn and let my green cavalry step into the free space. That way, everybody
was stalwart and covered again. My red infantry died fighting those shield maidens,
but that was just the time i needed to get the second marker, while Smalljon started
to ride back.

In the third round, I had my green riders leaving the inn and circling around Maege,
attacking from behind, while Kevan himself stepped into the inn. At that point, there
was nearly no way for Stark to do both - drive my men out and get his own ones in.
And that’s exactly how it went - i won after keeping the building for three rounds.

After the battle, we talked about the imbalance and possibilities. We agreed,
that the Smalljon should have attacked the inn instead of ignoring the objectives
and chasing Tywin. This one seems hard to win for Stark. If the average case
can’t win you the game, you should not plan with the average case, but set yourself
up for some lucky roles. With Smalljon rushing past Gregor or attacking the infantry,
there would always have been the chance for some lucky dice, granting the Cavalry
a place in the inn, and let them start driving those Lannisters out with morale results
or killing them.

This will be another one for the “very interesting to replay” list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lannister4live wrote:
Tywin himself took several blows by the Smalljon, who
was driving him back over the river, far south. I was very glad, though, cause the Smalljon joining the attack against the inn could have cost me a strategy marker.

You should have written: "Luckily Stark completely ignored the winning conditions and chased Tyvin around instead" And I thought I was experienced enough by now that this would not happen (again).

Too bad I made such a boneheaded move - if I had attacked the inn instead, maybe changing to wedge formation first, thing would have been different. I also suffered a bit from not having an "order 3" card during the whole game. Having one or two of these in round 1 or 2 would have enabled me to get more units into range of the building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.