Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
The wise Sir Bedevere was the first to join King Arthur's knights, but other illustrious names were soon to follow...
Together they formed a band whose names and deeds were to be retold throughout the centuries; the Knights of the Round Table.

Majestik Moose Games is proud to announce the next full expansion for the acclaimed The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail will take players on an incredible adventure from the dancing halls of Camelot to the blood-stained
Cave of Caerbannog, as they attempt to find that most elusive and desirable of artifacts; the Holy Grail.

Arthur: King of the Britons

In a world of growing darkness... the one man who can make things right... is kind of an idiot.
But he's brave and noble and all that, and he just might lead you to victory.
Arthur's inability to count to 3 may prove indispensable in critical circumstances, and he will be
joined by several other heroes and allies, including Sir Lancelot, Tim the Enchanter and more.

It's too perilous!

Your journey will be fraught... fraught, I say, with peril. Treacherously cute bunnies will attack you with nasty, big, pointy teeth!
Dark knights who say hideous words will demand shrubberies from you.
And all manner of distractions and temptations may lead you away from your ultimate goal.

What is your quest?

The Monty Python and the Holy Grail expansion includes two challenging scenarios; Gathering the Knights and The Search for the Grail.

Be sure to subscribe to this thread to be notified of more previews for this amazing expansion, expected to be released in Q2 of 2012 (which probably means Q3 or Q4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ordinary Evidence
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Awesome. Arthur's ability is great. Saving slots in my deck for the Holy Hand Grenade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

And the black beast is green.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
radicalizard wrote:

And the black beast is green.

I know. That never made sense to me, why they call him the Black Beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's only a model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
It's only a model.

Sharp!! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören M.
Germany
flag msg tools
now i gotta go watch monty python...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In case it wasn't obvious from the faux-FFG style announcement, this is something I am actually putting together, intended to be a fully playable standalone expansion (like this one for Defenders of the Realm). I could probably use some help with some card tweaks along the way, so if you're interested, please subscribe and join in. In particular I could use help to make sure I don't repeat any existing abilities. It's hard to keep up with everything that's already been released, but I like the challenge of creating completely new card effects for everything.

This will be relatively slow going, though, as I have some other commitments pending, and I have to work out how some of the pieces will fit together. But here are two more cards for now...

I'm not sure if Robin's general strength (or lack thereof) really qualifies him as a "hero," but then again, I think his ability to engage an enemy and then "run away" could be very useful. His low threat is also nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I'd buy it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And the rest of the Knights. Sir Not Appearing is meant as sort of a handicap for whichever player would otherwise only have 2 heroes instead of 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic.

a) Finally, a Monty Python card game worth playing.

b) Anyone who's bought more than one core set can sleeve his extra cards, print out your Monty Python set onto regular paper, and slip the paper cutout cards into the extra cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Müller
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!!!

Maybe Sir Lancelot is somewhat overpowered for a threat cost of 11....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
01neo01
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
twolate wrote:
now i gotta go watch monty python...

The same happend to me... modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Twelve4Christ wrote:
Great idea!!!

Maybe Sir Lancelot is somewhat overpowered for a threat cost of 11....

Eh, I don't know... His stats are comparable to Aragorn's and Prince Imrahil's, but I think their abilities are better than Lancelot's. His ability could be very useful once in a while, but you kind of have to time it right so he finishes off one enemy with 1-2 HP left and can spill some extra damage over (if there even are other enemies engaged to take the spill over damage).

But that being said, his total stats (Willpower, Attack, Defense and HP) of 13 are one higher than anyone else's, so yeah, he probably should get bumped up to 12 threat for that alone. Thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are awesome, sir. Simply awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
But that being said, his total stats (Willpower, Attack, Defense and HP) of 13 are one higher than anyone else's, so yeah, he probably should get bumped up to 12 threat for that alone. Thanks for the input!

I feel dumb... I didn't realize that for all of the published heroes, the threat total is exactly the sum of the other stats. So Lancelot's should be 13 (though I think I'll reduce his HP to 3, so it will be 12), and Robin's should be 7. I just happened to get it right for the other ones.

Also, Sir Not Appearing is totally broken. The original intent was for that to be used only for a second player, to make up for there only being 5 total playable heroes. But as it is, you could use Sir Not Appearing in a solo game and never have to draw an encounter card. And with 2p, it's probably broken to only ever draw 1 encounter per turn, even with one less hero to start with. So I'll have to revisit Sir Not Appearing. I may end up including Tim the Enchanter as a 6th hero, though he really seems more like an Ally to me... But I'd rather have Sir Not Appearing as a substitute for one player only having 2 heroes. Maybe something like Sir Not Appearing gets resource tokens like normal heroes, and may spend 2 (or 3) to avoid drawing an encounter card. So every 2 or 3 turns, you get a break. That would probably be a better way to do it.

Anyway... I'll figure something out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:

At the start of the turn, place 1 resource on a hero controlled by the player owning Sir Not Appearing.

Response: Discard Sir Not Appearing to cancel a just revealed Encounter card.
Response: Discard Sir Not Appearing to cancel a just revealed Shadow card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
How about:

At the start of the turn, place 1 resource on a hero controlled by the player owning Sir Not Appearing.

I like it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
Australia
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Kamakaze wrote:
How about:

I like it. Thanks!

I would make that Exhaust NOT discard geez it's a hero replacement!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think Brave Sir Robin should have 0 willpower and an ability to "run away!" (send an enemy back to the staging area).

It's a great concept though, can't wait to print and play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Troymk1 wrote:

Well either way it needs to be once per game. The idea is to have a low threat card to replace a hero but still keep the resource generation up, discarding it was to let you use it in an emergency. With 2 heroes and normal resource generation, the game is not that hard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Troymk1 wrote:

Well either way it needs to be once per game. The idea is to have a low threat card to replace a hero but still keep the resource generation up, discarding it was to let you use it in an emergency. With 2 heroes and normal resource generation, the game is not that hard

I think I agree with Allan, that it's probably best as a one-time thing. And until/if you discard it, Sir Not Appearing is still generating a resource each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
theduke850 wrote:
Personally I think Brave Sir Robin should have 0 willpower and an ability to "run away!" (send an enemy back to the staging area).

It's a great concept though, can't wait to print and play!

Well, his special ability is meant to be "Run away!", in essence. I didn't want it to be too easy to do that, though, or he could just keep avoiding everything. But as it is, I think he could be pretty useful to deflect certain enemies every other turn. But I suppose if he's always saving up for that, then his resources can't be spent on other things, so maybe I should change it to 1 resource.

I'm not sure if Willpower equates to "courage," necessarily. I suppose it might, but I just hate to give him 0 Willpower (none of the published heroes have 0). Yeah, I guess I'll do it, though. I suppose that's a balance for reducing his "run away" cost to 1 resource. I'll also up his attack strength to 2. Here he is now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Kamakaze wrote:
Troymk1 wrote:

I think I agree with Allan, that it's probably best as a one-time thing. And until/if you discard it, Sir Not Appearing is still generating a resource each turn.

Actually, I'm going to compromise somewhat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.