Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Loïc Boué
France
VITRY SUR SEINE
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
mbmb
There is a kind of puzzle during turn 1 for the German player to cross the Ardennes as efficiently as possible.
The knot of the problem is that the belgian unit "Chasseurs Ardenais" (CA) is separated from the two french covering DLC by 1 hex.

The first action chit is always used for movement. But then if you engage and defeat the CA with 1st and 2nd Panzer, you can't reach the DLC because your advance after combat is limited to just one hex.
And now is the dilemna : do you use your next action chit for movement or for combat ?

If you activate for movement, you can reach and vaporize the "vanishing" DLC. But then you will not reach Givet, although you will get an automatic bridgehead to Sedan that will be automatically crossed during the end phase. And you won't go any further with combat anyway, so you can as well keep that movement activation for later.

The second activation should in fact always be used for combat, allowing your infantry all over the map to clear the way before moving. It will also allow the 7th panzer to clear the DLC before it, and then directly engage the XI DI with combat with a third activation for movement to bring help from the 5th panzer (be sure to keep air support for that crucial combat). The XI DI will either retreat 2 hexs and give you an automatic bridghead over the crossing behind it, or retreat 1 hex and face another combat round that will get you over the Meuse as well.

So the best sequence to cross the Ardennes is move/combat/move/combat, but it doesn't allow you to reach Givet. Unless.....

Unless you don't attack the CA with your first move, and just engage them with your first combat activation. You can then move forward 2 hexs after combat and reach the 2nd DLC. But alas not the 5th DLC (you can't move outside the roads with your motorized units), so you are still one hex short of Givet. But you can destroy the 2nd DLC with another combat activation, get to Sedan with a 2 hexs advance, and directly engage the X DI with a last move activation.

That move/combat/combat/move will however be problematic for the 7th panzer that will engage the XI DI alone. So it doesn't seem very advantageous just to get one more combat around Sedan that you can do as your first activation on round 2. You won't get the benefit of bridgehead, but you can easily compensate with air support.
The allied player could also sacrifice the CA with a combat activation, if he can and if he so wishes, bringing you back to the previous situation.

So it seems Givet will only be reached on turn 2, with 1st and 2nd Panzers united against the hapless XLI DI.

Anyone found a better "opening" for the Germans in the Ardennes ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Oger
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Great analysis thumbsup

I'm playing it solo for the moment and I could not think of a better opening (if your objective is to have Givet on turn 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Tosti
Italy
Foligno
Umbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But what about Holland with a german move/combat sequence for the first 2 activations?

I think you need 2 move in a row to take Njimegen and Eindhoven and get Netherlands out with a terror bombing on turn 1: if the allies get their 2nd move chits before german third chit, they can move Dutch units to defend at least Njimegen, and you're not getting good odds there in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agung Waspodo
Indonesia
Depok
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good anlysis indeed, I have just played this solo a couple of times using move/combat/move/combat and cleared Hollands but fell short of Givet. At the end of turn-2 I captured Antwerp but barely poking at the Dyle line. Breaking through Sedan is quite a pain since the French kept threatening my only access to supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.