The Battle for Hill 218» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attacks mandatory? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Can a unit be deployed and not attack an eligible target?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.C. Tsistinas
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
Make Your Own Dice Tower Review: 1. Spill all of the pieces onto a table. 2. Rearrange the pieces, ignoring most of the setup instructions. 3. Say you don't like the game because it makes you think too much.
mbmbmbmbmb
No. You MUST attack if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
Du Quoin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of a reason why you would NOT attack even if you didn't have to. Care to enlighten us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Attacking a unit opens up a space directly adjacent that can then be filled by the opponent to take out the unit that previously attacked. By not attacking, the just deployed unit may be safe from attack, as all spaces adjacent to it are already occupied.

Consider deploying a unit to one side of the hill and not attacking an enemy unit immediately in front of it. On the next turn, if the unit just played is not destroyed, an air-strike/special forces occupation of the enemy base becomes possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Page 15 of the rules wrote:
When a unit deploys it will attack an enemy unit if able.

That seems to imply attack is mandatory, not optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Herbie Hancock: Takin' Off // Art Farmer & Bill Evans: Modern Art // Sonny Rollins: Way Out West
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play the computer version, attacks are triggered automatically by placement (sometimes you pick which unit gets hit, but there is no support for not picking one). The designer says he has played the computer version hundreds of times, so I'm sure it works as intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacks are indeed mandatory.

To be honest, it's never occurred to me before that I might not want to attack. I suppose it's possible (e.g. if there's Heavy Weapons in the enemy base in the situation you described) that your unit might survive if you didn't take out the unit ahead of you, but I think it must be vanishingly rare.

I certainly don't think it would break the game if you home-ruled the option not to attack, but I doubt it comes up often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Attacks are indeed mandatory.

To be honest, it's never occurred to me before that I might not want to attack. I suppose it's possible (e.g. if there's Heavy Weapons in the enemy base in the situation you described) that your unit might survive if you didn't take out the unit ahead of you, but I think it must be vanishingly rare.

I certainly don't think it would break the game if you home-ruled the option not to attack, but I doubt it comes up often.

It's certainly thinking outside the box! I know the situation you're encountering (the OP, that is)---if you place X card and attack, you open up a space that counters your plan, leaves you vulnerable, or something like that. I've just always worked around those situations and never even thought about the possibility of not attacking.

So, kudos for at least thinking outside the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho DC
msg tools
In Computer Version, when you place a unit you must attack, furthermore, supported attacks are mandatory over don't supported. I don't know what is it; bug or rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho DC
msg tools
Then, When I deploy a unit; Do I have to always attack a units that would be destroyed(thanks for support) over another who whould not be destroyed(by don't having support)or can I choose to attack any unit?
Don't destroy units is so useful in many situations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.