Popular Tags: [View All]
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dumazarok wrote:
I just ordered The Count for Carcassonne. We usually play using River I, I&C, and T&B. I'm not sure yet how often we'll use the count, although I'm sure we'll give it a try. Mostly I ordered the expansion for the alternate starting configuration offered by the tiles. I noticed in one of the reviews that The Count expansion can be used together with the River. Question: Do you just begin the river adjacent to any field edge of the starting Count tiles? How well does this work, in your experience, and how does it affect play?

Yes, you can use them together. You just pick a legal place to start the river and work from there. You just need to follow the no immediate u-turn rule and keep it from hitting the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a "house rule" and not the official recommended way to start, but we find the following method more fun and intuitive...

Play out the river FIRST, then add Carcassonne city, attempting to have as many edges in common between the city and the river. In other words, if possible, the river should run along one 4-tile edge of the city. Failing that, 3. The next person to play a tile after the last river tile is played gets to choose where the city goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McClean
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
dumazarok wrote:
I just ordered The Count for Carcassonne. We usually play using River I, I&C, and T&B. I'm not sure yet how often we'll use the count, although I'm sure we'll give it a try. Mostly I ordered the expansion for the alternate starting configuration offered by the tiles. I noticed in one of the reviews that The Count expansion can be used together with the River. Question: Do you just begin the river adjacent to any field edge of the starting Count tiles? How well does this work, in your experience, and how does it affect play?

Yes, you can use them together. You just pick a legal place to start the river and work from there. You just need to follow the no immediate u-turn rule and keep it from hitting the city.

Agreed. We like to play the spring off the bottom of the lower right tile (#12, I think) and never run into trouble following the no U-turn rule. It gets interesting when you attach the Wheel of Fortune to Carcassonne, and use both the River and the River II tiles. We also like to use the GQ11 spring for the road that prevents the field wrapping around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.