Subject: harvester variant-a way to use the board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nasella
United States
Talent
Oregon
flag msg tools
Each player needs a meeple (any item) to represent your harvester. This variant places a harvester on a finca. The harvester can only be hired to harvest fruit (collect tiles) from fincas that are adjacent to the most recent finca you harvested from(collected tile).

-When you harvest fruit to collect a fruit tile, you place your harvester in that finca.

-You can only harvest fruit from adjacent fincas to where your harvester is located (including the finca you are presently in).

Harvesting multiple tiles:

You work locally- (fincas tiles have to be adjacent to your present finca but the finca tiles do not have to be conncected) place your harvester on any of the fincas that contained a tile you just collected or you. travels to find work at distant fincas- one tile has to be adjacent to your present location(finca) but the remaining tiles can radiate outwards as long as they all connect back to your original finca. Harvester has to be placed on the farthest collected finca tile from your original starting finca. Summing up the two ways to collect multiple tiles: either the harvester goes to work on adjacent fincas, and since they are local/close(all adjacent to present finca)they do not have to connect, or he/she travels far to find work by moving away from present finca working on each finca as you go(they all connect back to the original finca you started at).

-In order to be eligible receive the finca tile, you have to be in or adjacent to that particular finca when it is awarded (can not be blocked by a harvester on the finca).

-For the first harvest(no harvester placed yet), you are not restricted to where you harvest. Place harvester after you collect the first tile.

-three options for dealing with harvesters occupying the same space issue:

1.harvesters can not be on the same finca(full blocking variant). This means that a fruit tile cannot be collected by another player if a different players harvester is occupying that finca. A harvester can not block eligibility for finca tiles. All rules apply regarding adjacency when eligible for a finca tile.
or
2.fruit tiles can be collected, but harvester does not move to the finca when it is already occupied with another players harvester. Harvester stays in preset occupied finca (partial blocking variant).
or
3. harvesters can be on the same finca(1 harvester collects tile, reveals next tile that is taken up by someone else=2 harvesters on same space). This might be the best option because of the problem with the finca in the Southwestern portion of the board.

El Razul expansion:
-El Razul figure can only be moved to adjacent fincas (might need to be placed in the middle of the board to start game)
This has a good synergy with the above variant

Overall:
-adds spacial aspect
-makes decisions a bit tougher on where to harvest fruit(might take you away from finca soon to be awarded).
-Makes the fincas have variable value in terms of where you want your harvester located(middle of the board will be in more contention)

This should make 4 player games more strategic(not every tile is in contention for every player).
I think 3 player games will be interesting. With the uneven amount of players, all players will attempt to move to the side with least contention.

-Adds more AP.
-Game will be very different depending on number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A.
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: harvesting variant-a way to use the board
Interesting suggestion!
I will keep this in mind and propose to try this variant the next time I play Finca!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: harvesting variant-a way to use the board
That is a pretty neat variant, so have a thumbsup

I always thought it was a bit of a shame that the board wasn't used more.

I haven't played it with your suggestions yet, but it seems *possible* (I am tentative about this claim) that it would make the game a bit deeper (which could be interesting) but also more AP prone as there are now restrictions on grabbing fruit tiles and finca tiles.

One other note, having harvesters block each other could be very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. I'll probably try this one out sometime soon.

clodius wrote:
-You can only harvest fruit from adjacent fincas to where your harvester is located.

Do you intend this to mean you can't re-use the space you're in?

Quote:
-In order to be eligible receive the finca tile, you have to be adjacent to that particular finca when it is awarded

Again, do you intend this to mean you can't be in that space?

Quote:
-Two options for dealing with pawns occupying same space issue:

1.Pawns can not be on the same finca(allows for blocking)
or
2.Pawns can be on the same farm(1 person collects tile, reveals next tile that is taken up by someone else=2 harvesters on same space).

I like the idea of blocking, but what are the actual implications?

Since you don't move until after you collect the tile, would that mean you can't collect a tile from a space where another player has a pawn [since you wouldn't be able to move there]? Or would you be able to collect it and just not move there?

If the former is the case [you can't collect it at all], how about the scenario where you have multiple tiles to collect / spaces to move to? If one of the two [many] is open, can you collect even the one with another player's harvester on it since you can move elsewhere?

Perhaps #1 should just read "You cannot collect a tile from a space where another player's pawn is standing", but I'm thinking this might lead to some serious lock-down. Seems that, rather, the collection should be allowed with no move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasella
United States
Talent
Oregon
flag msg tools
Good questions. I will clarify that.

-You can only harvest fruit tiles from adjacent fincas to where your harvester is located(including the finca you are presently in).

-In order to be eligible receive the finca tile, you have to be in or adjacent to that particular finca when it is awarded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasella
United States
Talent
Oregon
flag msg tools
Regarding you thoughts on the blocking:

Nor sure which is the best way to go with this.

Blocking could lead to what you described (lockdown), but since you will likely have to leave your finca, it will open it up again.

Feedback is encouraged and appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
clodius wrote:
Regarding you thoughts on the blocking:

Nor sure which is the best way to go with this.

Blocking could lead to what you described (lockdown), but since you will likely have to leave your finca, it will open it up again.

You'd also have to [it seems] make an exception to the blocking rule for Finca tiles; otherwise you'd have people squatting on tiles and picking them up by default.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasella
United States
Talent
Oregon
flag msg tools
The adjacency rule should cover the finca lock down rule. Most of the fincas are touching each other.
The only one where this could be a problem, is the most southwestern finca. If you look at the map, it might actually be connected to one or two other fincas.

Additionally, if someone tries to lock a finca tile down by squatting next to it, you go work somewhere else to get a upper hand on receiving another finca tile. The other thing about this, is that they are waiting for something to happen, which could take longer than anticipated depending on the rondel, allowing other players to harvest other tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Foerster
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not exactly sure why blocking would be necessary. Wouldn't competition for the goods tiles and finca tiles be sufficient? In fact, if two harvesters are adjacent to the same tile, then it would be a race to try to get that tile, whereas if there were blocking one player could have the tile locked up just by occupying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasella
United States
Talent
Oregon
flag msg tools
I agree, it might not be necessary. Just go with option allowing for multiple harvesters on a finca.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasella
United States
Talent
Oregon
flag msg tools
Just figured out what you were communicating Nate, regarding blocking for the finca tile. Needed to clarify that.

Added to original post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasella
United States
Talent
Oregon
flag msg tools
in case anyone cares, I will be adding and adjusting the op as or if it develops. I have already refined it some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.