Bryan Cooper
United States
Coppell
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In particular, the rules state that the player 'may' execute the Dogma after Melding a card from their Foreshadow pile.

If the player chooses not to execute the Dogma, is there still sharing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith-Stoe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. If you choose the free dogma action when you bring a card out of your forecast standard sharing rules apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cooper
United States
Coppell
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SurfinDecoy wrote:
Yes. If you choose the free dogma action when you bring a card out of your forecast standard sharing rules apply.

Ok, get that.

What if you DON'T choose to do the free Dogma action when bringing a card out of your forecast pile? Do other players have the opportunity for Sharing?

I am assuming not, and that is how we played it last night, but would like the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They can only share if you take the free dogma action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bcooperok wrote:
In particular, the rules state that the player 'may' execute the Dogma after Melding a card from their Foreshadow pile.

If the player chooses not to execute the Dogma, is there still sharing?

I don't know, what is this 'foreshadow' thing and why don't I see it on any of my cards? They are all orange and not blue on their back; maybe that has something to do with it?

In all seriousness, the free dogma action you get from playing a card from the forecast is treated like any other dogma; you share it normally if you use it. Maybe we should have an expansion faq like the one in the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith-Stoe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bcooperok wrote:
SurfinDecoy wrote:

Ok, get that.

What if you DON'T choose to do the free Dogma action when bringing a card out of your forecast pile? Do other players have the opportunity for Sharing?

I am assuming not, and that is how we played it last night, but would like the clarification.

Sorry, I didn't read your question closely enough then didn't answer it properly. Even though others have spoken up I'll correct my answer.

From the rules with emphasis added:

rules wrote:
After a meld action (only an action, not when you meld due to a dogma or echo effect), you may choose one card from your forecast of equal or lower value to the card you melded. You meld that card immediately, and then you may take a free dogma action, selecting that card to activate.

The free dogma action due to a promoted forecast card behaves exactly the same as a normal dogma action.

So a meld from the forecast can happen without the free dogma action being taken. Thus if the dogma action wasn't taken then the card would not be activated for anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Innovation: Echoes of the Past rules forum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cooper
United States
Coppell
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks all, for the quick replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrea la malfa
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if the card has 2 shared dogma?
Can you freely activate both or just 1
If you can activate both and another player participates do you get 1 or 2 extra cards due to the sharing?
Thanks
Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
andrea la malfa wrote:
What if the card has 2 shared dogma?
Can you freely activate both or just 1
If you can activate both and another player participates do you get 1 or 2 extra cards due to the sharing?
Thanks
Andrea

When dogma-ing a card, you don't have the option of only doing one of it's bullet points/dogmas - you are doing everything on the card. In fact, the exact order is

(check for symbol lead - if opponent has symbol lead, they may share/are not impacted by demand effects)

(opponent does first dogma (or has the option to, if it is "You may")
(you do first dogma)
(opponent does second)
(you do second)
(etc)

(If opponent shared - eg: they took an action that modified their board state/hand/scorepile/forecast/achieved/didn't skip all the "you mays", check to see what your highest top card is and draw a (one) card of that value)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrea la malfa
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robb wrote:

When dogma-ing a card, you don't have the option of only doing one of it's bullet points/dogmas - you are doing everything on the card.

Wow
We have been playing a totally different game until now!

Thanks
Andrea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
andrea la malfa wrote:
Robb wrote:

When dogma-ing a card, you don't have the option of only doing one of it's bullet points/dogmas - you are doing everything on the card.

Wow
We have been playing a totally different game until now!

Thanks
Andrea

Nothing like reading the rules to a game.. you are basically guaranteed to get one wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrea la malfa
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robb wrote:

Nothing like reading the rules to a game.. you are basically guaranteed to get one wrong

When this happens it always reminds me the munchin card "invoke obscure rule" that gives you one extra level

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robb wrote:

(If opponent shared - eg: they took an action that modified their board state/hand/scorepile/forecast/achieved/didn't skip all the "you mays", check to see what your highest top card is and draw a (one) card of that value)

And for the new "no effect" actions on the cards in Echoes? My opponents are saying "yes, they are sharing to the maximum extent allowed i.e. fully doing nothing" therefore they should draw a card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
Robb wrote:

And for the new "no effect" actions on the cards in Echoes? My opponents are saying "yes, they are sharing to the maximum extent allowed i.e. fully doing nothing" therefore they should draw a card?

If the rule said "if an opponent shares to the maximum extent allowed, you get a sharing bonus", then you'd get a sharing bonus. But that's not what the rule says. It says that you only get a sharing bonus if your opponent actually does something that affects game state (he doesn't have to share to the maximum extent allowed; for example, he can decline one of the two "you may" dogmas on a card like Philosophy or Tools). Since your opponent didn't affect game state, you don't get a sharing bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andylatto wrote:
gamesbook wrote:
Robb wrote:

If the rule said "if an opponent shares to the maximum extent allowed, you get a sharing bonus", then you'd get a sharing bonus. But that's not what the rule says. It says that you only get a sharing bonus if your opponent actually does something that affects game state (he doesn't have to share to the maximum extent allowed; for example, he can decline one of the two "you may" dogmas on a card like Philosophy or Tools). Since your opponent didn't affect game state, you don't get a sharing bonus.

Thanks Andy, that was always my understanding - but good to have it confirmed by a "third party".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.