Figo 3434
msg tools
1. If East-gate is the active location, does Goblin Follower engage the last player when revealed? East gate just says "no engagement checks are made". So does he open the door for a sec?
2. Does Branching Paths itself get +1 thread if it is in the staging area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Aubert
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
From my understanding, as the Goblin follower engages the last player when revealed,the East Gate location don't have any impact on this.
There isn't any engagement check in this case.

For branching path, i'm adding +1 to the card itself, as it fullfills the conditions.

But all of this isn't official, and just my understanding of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Blutch75 wrote:
From my understanding, as the Goblin follower engages the last player when revealed,the East Gate location don't have any impact on this.
There isn't any engagement check in this case.

For branching path, i'm adding +1 to the card itself, as it fullfills the conditions.

But all of this isn't official, and just my understanding of the game.

100% right. Is coming logicly from the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Etienne is correct on both counts. East-gate specifically affects "engagement checks," which are only made during the encounter phase (unless specifically directed by a card). Goblin Follower engages a player without making an engagement check, so it won't be influenced by East-gate. As for Branching Paths, since it gives all Dark locations +1 threat, and since it is itself a Dark location, it will increase its own threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figo 3434
msg tools
Here's the follow up:
If Goblin Follower is revealed from the encounter deck while the current quest card is "Goblin Patrol" (that has a Forced effect on it saying "After an enemy is revealed from the encounter deck, discard it instead of adding it to the staging area), is the Goblin Follower discarded or not?
Same question, shorter form: Are "When revealed" effects solved before any "Forced" effects?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Figo3434 wrote:
Here's the follow up:
If Goblin Follower is revealed from the encounter deck while the current quest card is "Goblin Patrol" (that has a Forced effect on it saying "After an enemy is revealed from the encounter deck, discard it instead of adding it to the staging area), is the Goblin Follower discarded or not?
Same question, shorter form: Are "When revealed" effects solved before any "Forced" effects?

Forced effect have always priority before any other offects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba Stian
Norway
Molde
flag msg tools
mb
What happens if Legolas kills the Goblin Follower. Should I put tokens on the east gate?
I found the little book that comes with Khazad-dum contradictory. First, emphasizes that only direct interaction with the location is not possible. By this I understand that Legolas can put tokens on it since he tries to put them on the quest. But then the book says that only questing one can put tokens on that location.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"All" does not imply "at least one".
mbmbmbmbmb
surrutia wrote:
What happens if Legolas kills the Goblin Follower. Should I put tokens on the east gate?
I found the little book that comes with Khazad-dum contradictory. First, emphasizes that only direct interaction with the location is not possible. By this I understand that Legolas can put tokens on it since he tries to put them on the quest. But then the book says that only questing one can put tokens on that location.

Since the insert says "the only way to put progress tokens on it is by questing", I think it is clear that you can't put progress tokens in it using the response on the Legolas card.

If they had not stated that specifically in the instructions then it would have been unclear. I think it is fair to interpret the instructions as:
Quote:
The location East-gate has the text "Immune to card effects." This means that East-gate cannot be selected as the target of any card effect and it ignores the effect of any card that would directly interact with it. [In addition] the only way to put progress tokens on it is by questing, and once East-gate is the active location it remains the active location until it is fully explored [...]
I added [In addition]. The rest should be verbatim from the insert (assuming I copied it correctly).

IOW, it is immune to direct cards effects and you can only put progress tokens on it by questing and it remains the active location until it is full explored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Waldner
Austria
flag msg tools
Figo3434 wrote:
Here's the follow up:

How about this:
During Goblin Patrol, if you use the torch, which states "Forced: After Cave Torch exhausts, discard the top card of the encounter deck. If that card is an enemy, add it to the staging area."

Do you add the enemy to the staging area despite the quest effect?

The enemy is not "revealed from the encounter deck" but discarded instead, so the quest forced effect should not trigger. Afterwards however the forced effect of the torch returns it to play (but not from the encounter deck).
So I would say the torch still adds enemies...

I found the forced effect of goblin patrol quite strange... this makes the game a great deal easier, I mean all those discarded enemies are not even replaced by other cards, or am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
The enclave, Newark
California
flag msg tools
5UIIIIII3R \/4C4Ti0I\I 15 h3r3!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it's okay to tack this question here:

Do two Branching Paths in the staging area stack their modifiers to Dark locations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Resolve one Branching Paths card (add +1 to all dark), then resolve the next Branching Paths card (add +1 to all dark) ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
The enclave, Newark
California
flag msg tools
5UIIIIII3R \/4C4Ti0I\I 15 h3r3!
mbmbmbmbmb
*Groan* of course they stack! angry
Thanks, Patrick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.