United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
DRGNLRD wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
So, basically, you are not very good at it, so you think the game is broken and needs to be made easier for the players?

Richard Morris makes this comment and wonders why the OP went on the defensive. HA! I vote Richard leaves the thread as he drug it down in my opinion!

I thought the review was fine and I enjoyed reading it.
I certainly stand by the meaning of comment, which has been, if anything, reinforced by what has followed. However, it was a bit on the blunt side, and I should probably have made it a little softer.

Well you really have no idea if he is good at the game or not so yea.... I thought your comment was that of a big A hole and for me it pretty much invalidated anything else you had to say in the thread. Just an FYI for the future. There are better ways to make a point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think that's entirely fair to Richard...

The title of the thread states that the OP wanted to enjoy the game.

He then listed a number of strategic choices that must be made in the game and said they make it non-strategic, (huh?) overly difficult, and effectively break the game.

He revealed at-least one way he was incorrectly playing the game. (Exhausting to travel)

He suggested a number of changes he proposed would "fix" the game. (Experienced players would instantly spot these as game-breaking)

The first page is full of considerate helpful responses. People point out the rules mistake with traveling. People suggest where he can go to find guides on deck-building. Another person relates their own experience, how they had reached much the same conclusion about the game, but then through advice and encouragement here on BGG they overcame the learning curve. This individual was to quote "Glad I didn't throw up my hands and blame the game for my lack of understanding." Another gives him a very detailed analogy to Poker detailing how what may seem completely random to him as a beginner can actually be learned and mastered and played at a higher level.

The OP responds by denying the rules misunderstanding (Carlos, your English is excellent! It's clear you were doing traveling wrong...)

He basically discounts ever helpful post in turn, takes offense at Richard's admittedly blunt, but frankly accurate observation, and even responds to a guy who says he finds the game difficult and therefore house rules it to make it more manageable with:
oDESGOSTO wrote:

Well, I have this politics of mine to play the game as it is. That's because I've bought the game and I want to play with what I've bought. I know it's a dumb thing to do but that's my character.

Immediately followed up by once again suggesting a change to the game (huh?)

So basically, what do you want Carlos? People gave you helpful and you discarded and discounted it. Richard gave you honest and you became offended. You said that you wanted to like this game, but it is very difficult to gather that from your response to people trying to help you overcome the difficulties your obviously having with it.

You mention the second quest, Journey Along the Anduin, losing on the 3rd turn etc. Why don't you just do a search for "Journey Along(Down) the Anduin" in these forums? If you did you'd discover a number of things:
A) You're not alone, it's very difficult when you first try it, and many people are posting about their frustration, asking for help, or complaining that it is too difficult.
B) That difficulty is surmountable. You will find success stories, as those same people make changes to their decks or play and begin to beat the quest regularly and more and more confidently.
C) You will find all the tools to be able to do that yourself, from general strategy, to specific deck-lists tuned to that quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
What he said ^

(only the way he said it, not the way I might have said it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Berry
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noah if your post was directed at me..... and I feel it is. Maybe I'm not being fair. You mention an entire first page of helpfull comments. Thats fine. It's Richard I singled out. I singled him out because simply.... his intial post was trollish. It was an A*# thing to say and brought nothing to the thread.

Nor is any of this helping. I have nothing against Richard. I don't know him. Typically I just lurk and read reviews but after I read the OP's review and saw his intial comment I decided to make my own. It wasn;t even my review and his comment irked me. I thought I was over on a video game forum with a bunch of kids.

Anyways Have a great day I'm moving on and I hope others can do the same. Mods can feel free to remove my posts as they bring nothing to the original topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fair enough Jonathan. In Richard's defense what he said was exactly what I was thinking when I read the review, but no, I don't think it was the appropriate thing or constructive to say.

In his later post however, he (Richard) does succinctly point out that the OP's complaints seem to stem from a limited understanding of the game rather than valid complaints based upon its actual mechanics. The correct response to this of course would be to gently encourage him to stick with the game, to look around for strategies and advice, and to relate personal experience letting him know that others have been just where he is, and that by sticking at he can learn to "overcome the encounter deck" rather than being at its mercy.

The OP's response to the numerous people who did exactly that was to basically ignore everything they said, so that's the point at which I became less sympathetic to him becoming incensed by Richard's comment.

I think you're right that nothing more productive is likely to come of this thread. This will be my final post.

@ the OP: Really, if you are willing to give the game another shot, I would encourage you to search for the quests you're having trouble with on these forums and try playing someone's posted deck and following their strategy advice. I think you might discover that there is more to the game than you give it credit for.

@ Anyone reading this review who is new to the game: Don't be discouraged, it is not impossible and it is not all luck. It is a challenge and something that you can improve at, especially by tapping the accumulated knowledge of people who have gone before you i.e. the denizens of BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Jobes IV
United States
Emmaus
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been resisting saying this for a while, but after getting tons and tons of notifications for it in my feed, I am going to just have to ask:

Why are we still having this discussion?

Is someone doesn't like the game or isn't having fun with the game, even if they were playing incorrectly originally, then just let them have their opinion. It's a subjective experience, and that's what is fun about this hobby. I'm sure there are games I like that others don't, or games I don't like that some people really enjoy, but there's no need to get a three page long argument going on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jobes2007 wrote:
I've been resisting saying this for a while, but after getting tons and tons of notifications for it in my feed, I am going to just have to ask:

Why are we still having this discussion?

Is someone doesn't like the game or isn't having fun with the game, even if they were playing incorrectly originally, then just let them have their opinion. It's a subjective experience, and that's what is fun about this hobby. I'm sure there are games I like that others don't, or games I don't like that some people really enjoy, but there's no need to get a three page long argument going on it.

Maybe if the Review had less Rant, it would have only went on for one page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jobes IV. How man angels can dance on the head of a pin? Yawn.
But at least I learnt here that you can't snare a Nazgul.
Grateful for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oDESGOSTO wrote:
It really gives the player that sense of adventure when a player plays the game... or maybe...

NOT!!

I agree with you 110% on this point, and it's the very reason I didn't enjoy the game.

I tried several scenarios, and yet NEVER felt like I was having an adventure in Middle-earth -- or even a fantasy adventure at all. It was just a mind-numbing, number-crunching exercise -- rinse and repeat -- with me constantly struggling to keep track of all the numbers, while looking for the right combos to hopefully advance the quest.

I've always wanted a great adventure board or card game in ME (MECCG is good), where I actually felt like I was on an adventure, but this one fell short for me.

I kinda like the the Space Hulk card game, and get the general feeling I'm moving through a Space Hulk, fighting and advancing the mission as I go along. I'd hoped this had been roughly the same, just set in ME with monthly adventure/quest packs. It's not even close, IMHO.

Give me a comparable game to Death Angel, or Middle-earth Descent (or HeroQuest), or even Middle-earth Talisman -- this one just doesn't feel like a character-driven adventure to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate this review. Cooperative games seem to be more about crunching numbers than enjoying an adventure or making meaningful descisions. Maybe they are there if I put a LOT of time into it, but maybe I'm just too casual for that. It's good to know that it's not for everyone, and that some people don't really enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, but there's something hilarious about a person praising an OP for a "review" when said review, as clearly demonstrated, failed to grasp basic game mechanics. Pretty funny actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
I'm disappointed by the OP writer's attitude..

Very, very immature and rude..

I expect better from a group of people who have gathered to share their thoughts and interests on a hobby that is already belittled by others outside of this community..

I agree with the majority of points you wrote on your OP.

This is exactly what I felt when I first started playing.

However, I read through other posts on BGG and customized the decks after each play and now am very satisfied with my win-lose ratio and playing experience.

Again, this game is not for everyone and certainly some people can find it a terrible work of hell. I myself have a couple of games on my "hate list" that people love.

However, don't expect others to whole-heartedly agree with you because just as you disliked it, some people really like it, and there is bound to be disagreement and arguments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jerryboy86 wrote:
Again, this game is not for everyone(...)

ALAS!
That most expected comment that was missing! whistle

jerryboy86 wrote:

I'm sorry if you felt that way. I'll look for a future review from you and then I will troll it with subliminar insults and would like to see how good you'll react to that.

I gave my opinion. For me this game is bad, boring and based on pure luck. There's no sense of strategy when you're playing a good game, everything planned out and then you draw 1 card, +1, +1 and your game is over. Nice indeed!
I've sold my copy, I still played a few games (with deckbuilding) on Lackey, and my opinion remais.

At least there are good news, FFG have taken the Star Wars: The Card Game for a re-design. I still have hope in that one! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilescu Florin
Romania
flag msg tools
I'm also a "noob" that is loosing all the time and I refuse to use "easier" rules.
I have problems mainly because I have to quest so I have no army left to fight the enemies that are getting stacked. Not only that I cannot defend, but then I have also no characters to attacked them back.
I was very happy when I've buyed this game, and I was thinking that the people who complained about this were not very good players ... I was wrong.
About the perfect decks to beat one quest: It seems that the 4 spheres are not capable of wining all quests, so there is no balancing between spheres ? I've played a little bit of magic, warhammer invasion and I was thinking that each sphere is capable of winning. I don't see it possible here. I've never felt so frustrated like at this game (solo play), and I've lost at other games without getting frustrated.
Probably you have to spend too much time on this game in order to get to "learn" how to win, unfortunatly I don't have that much time, I just want to have fun 1 hour.(it's not fun when you see no point in continuing the game after 2-3 rounds). Also, I see that good players are very happy with a 30%-50% winning on a level 4 quest with the same deck. So, 50-70% is just luck in this game ?
This game is not for casual players from my point of view. If I had another player to play with, I rather play magic with the same pair of decks, it's far more fun and I'm not seeing that I've lost from the first 2-3 rounds.
Anyway .... no more complaining. It's good that I didn't spent all my money on expansions before playing the core set.
This is just my oppinion, it doesn't have to be all 100% correct.
Like the reviewer said : "I really wanted to like this game ..."(But I was too stupid to believe what he said)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Vasilescu

Maybe you should try using "easier rules" and see if your ejoyment of the game in increased or diminshed. I did and sometimes still do use "helps" (cheats is such an unpleasant word!)to make sure I have a better chance of winnin a scenario. Such as having the encounter deck face up, or having your Gandalf cards available to be drawn into your hand rather than shuffled in the sphere deck, or even having double resources for the first round.

I am sure experienced players will be aghast at this, but at the end of the day, if there's a way of increasing your enjoyment of this game (and I do love the mechanics of the game)then surely that's better than just having it gather dust along with other gaming casualties (such as Battles of Westeros.

Just my view!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilescu Florin
Romania
flag msg tools
Wellll, i've managed to beat the Journey Down the Anduin.
No rules "bending" and no Gandalf, even if I got him in the last rounds, I refused to use it.
I don't know if this was just luck, but using my last deck I've managed to win one time.
From my point of view, the card "banks of the anduin" helped me a lot to win this game. I've completed the location many times in order to get it again.
The used heros: Eowyn (i don't see this quest done without her), Denethor and Dunhere, with a starting threat of 25 only. Using two copies of The Galadhrin's Greatings, I have managed to finish with a threat level of 32.
I will try again, to see how much luck it was involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamma
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate this game so much I got banned from BoardGameGeek twice because of it!lol. That's all I'm going to say about it though as I'd rather focus on games i like than ones i dislike. Good to see others that enjoy Rune Age, Death Angel, and Defenders of the Realm on here too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Eysymont
Poland
Warsaw
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
I began reading this thread because I wanted to know if to buy the game... And I actually tend to do so
But I wish to wholeheartedly thank OP for his review - it is absolutely true that only through reading negative opinions one can get reliable opinion of a game, as initial enthusiasm and hype is always abundant.

As I was not actually too interested to see any side of the discussion win, let me give my general impression about its general feeling... Basically both sides were trying to present logically grounded arguments - but at the same time were occasionally trying to suggest that the opponent was not doing so. And yes, guys opposing OP proved increasingly malicious. It started with mild innuendo, but finally went to argus88 being openly offensive (like suggesting there's nothing OP can be good at). As OP was striving to remain rational even when attacked, the first post by argus88 made me angry devil Also, argus88 clearly did not bother to read all the preceding discussion, or either he'd have known that the alleged "not-understanding the rules" by OP was actually a mistake in his initial description, not the actual gameplay; he later explained and apologised for that. There is no other evidence of OP playing not in accordance with the rules.

Also, both sides tended to over-interpret the opponents' arguments, even if those were openly presented only as just tendencies in the game, not hard-and-fast rules. For instance, OP did not say that he wants to build a deck universally strong and safe against any threat; he pointed out that in other games a deck might be more versatile, with the obvious downside of it being not actually that strong in any aspect. Why cannot a player prefer to have a deck giving him, say, 25% of relative strength in many aspects, rather than forcing him to make a "fifty-fifty" deck?

I also disagree that games should be judged solely to their own merits. As a gamer I have a very limited amount of both time and money to spend (and it can only be very limited, considering how many fine games are out there). So I naturally want to see, in what aspects a given game is better or worse than others. It is good to see that game can offer unique experience, but any kind of experience can be at least remotely compared to those in other games. That is especially true in terms of time and money. Thus I can know if I can "afford" a given game, considering my personal preferences (including such things as patience, time to learn a game before I actually play it, etc.) After all, no game is perfect in every possible way, right? I know some of you have already said that, but sometimes in a menacing way laugh

Having said all that, I intend to buy the game - but I just wanted to thank OP and those of his opponents, who were focusing on the game, not personal innuendo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Linnell
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
oDESGOSTO wrote:

jerryboy86 wrote:

I'm sorry if you felt that way. I'll look for a future review from you and then I will troll it with subliminar insults and would like to see how good you'll react to that.

You clearly have incredibly thin skin. Coupled with your hostile attitude it's no wonder you're getting the reactions you have. You have not been insulted. Criticised yes, but not insulted. There's a difference and it would be in your best interests to learn them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Flintham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:
oDESGOSTO wrote:
It really gives the player that sense of adventure when a player plays the game... or maybe...

NOT!!

I agree with you 110% on this point, and it's the very reason I didn't enjoy the game.

I tried several scenarios, and yet NEVER felt like I was having an adventure in Middle-earth -- or even a fantasy adventure at all. It was just a mind-numbing, number-crunching exercise -- rinse and repeat -- with me constantly struggling to keep track of all the numbers, while looking for the right combos to hopefully advance the quest.

I've always wanted a great adventure board or card game in ME (MECCG is good), where I actually felt like I was on an adventure, but this one fell short for me.

I kinda like the the Space Hulk card game, and get the general feeling I'm moving through a Space Hulk, fighting and advancing the mission as I go along. I'd hoped this had been roughly the same, just set in ME with monthly adventure/quest packs. It's not even close, IMHO.

Give me a comparable game to Death Angel, or Middle-earth Descent (or HeroQuest), or even Middle-earth Talisman -- this one just doesn't feel like a character-driven adventure to me.

Agreed. I feel happy for those that can connect with, and enjoy this game. After reading glowing reviews I was pretty excited to give it a go, but it feels like Sudoku with some nice artwork to me. I'm going to give it a few more tries before I give it the old heave-ho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan mce
msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't believe someone doesn't like this game! This is one of my favourite games, and here I find someone WHO I DON'T EVEN KNOW AND HAVE NEVER MET AND WILL PROBABLY NEVER MEET EVER not liking my favourite game!

I am glad so many people have taken the time to point out how rude, immature, and down-right WRONG the OP is. If he dislikes the game after all the great posts in this thread he is obviously not deserving of ever having played my favourite game.

This game is obviously SO AWESOME that his mind cannot comprehend the rules! Fortunatley WE ARE ALL AWESOME so we can make him understand them in a really AWESOME way.

"It's myyy presshhhiooussshhh! (my game. my favourite one.)"
-Golem.zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Villabobos
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Having read your review a couple things come to mind. First off you reviewed it based on Anduin (perhaps one of the hardests quests I've played so far) How did you feel after you defeated the spiders in Mirkwood? I will give you one thing this game is by far the most challenging I have played it's like Mordor wants you to fail or something But if you try again and adapt your deck strategy, you will persevere if you know how to use your heroes and how the game works. pesky locations (northern ranger them) pesky monsters (radagast's cunning) I mean half of the time I don't fight monsters I run through the quest Forest Trapping people right and left

Besides if you talk about Magic the Gathering the you should know my friend used to beat me everytime! no matter how hard I tried and no matter what deck I constructed (with over 600 cards to choose from) because deck building came easy to me but those few small moments when I put him in a crisis made me realize his weaknesses and my strengths so I made better decks to kick his A**. The same is true for Alduin or Dol Guldur

They will kick you bloody (for me some 7 times) but then you'll see a strategy that works for you and it is such a rewarding experience!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Villabobos
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Yagami 225 wrote:
I appreciate this review. Cooperative games seem to be more about crunching numbers than enjoying an adventure or making meaningful descisions.

Actually if you get down to it every single game is nothing but crunching numbers

WOW
Dungeons and Dragons
Magic the Gathering
Starwars CCG
The list goes on

The only way to standarize rules and have randomnizity is through math. All hail the Mighty numbers!!

It is your mind that is supposed to add the fancy adventure and fun times though I do agree with

jerryboy86 wrote:
this game is not for everyone.

Just like every game is not for everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamma
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thecrazycuban21 wrote:

Besides if you talk about Magic the Gathering the you should know my friend used to beat me everytime! no matter how hard I tried and no matter what deck I constructed (with over 600 cards to choose from) because deck building came easy to me but those few small moments when I put him in a crisis made me realize his weaknesses and my strengths so I made better decks to kick his A**. The same is true for Alduin or Dol Guldur

Your friends probably killed you in magic because their decks consisted of $500 worth of mythics etc...because magic is mostly about rares etc...it's true it's true
as far as lord of the rings goes, it's a puzzle game, once you figure out the formula then it's down to luck. it's a horrendous game, the worst ever

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here again because of this:

Daleth wrote:
I can't believe someone doesn't like this game! This is one of my favourite games, and here I find someone WHO I DON'T EVEN KNOW AND HAVE NEVER MET AND WILL PROBABLY NEVER MEET EVER not liking my favourite game!

I am glad so many people have taken the time to point out how rude, immature, and down-right WRONG the OP is. If he dislikes the game after all the great posts in this thread he is obviously not deserving of ever having played my favourite game.

This game is obviously SO AWESOME that his mind cannot comprehend the rules! Fortunatley WE ARE ALL AWESOME so we can make him understand them in a really AWESOME way.

Bolds and stuff are mine!
I'm hoping you're using Sarcasm, because if not It's not very effective...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.