Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the States of the Mongoose posting, Matt Sprange noted that there were plans in the works for a new set of updated rules for this game along with a range of miniatures:

Quote:
Those watching our Eye on Mongoose Facebook page will already know that Sandrine has spent her Star Fleet Cooling Off Period messing around with some 3D designs for a new range of World War II models.

This is down to us developing three miniatures games in parallel. One is a second edition of Victory at Sea, complete with comprehensive miniatures range. For details of the others, see below ‘Miniatures and Games in Development’.

The decision of which we will go forward with will be taken at the end of this year after we have done a little more work on rules concepts and models, with the final game appearing around June(ish). However, I can go into some detail on what we are planning for Victory at Sea 2.0, as we have taken to calling it.

We have delayed doing such a game this long principally because we made a decision long ago that a new Victory at Sea would only be produced if it had a line of miniatures to go with it. We did launch into discussions with Navwar about the possibility of buying their entire range and, for a while, this looked like a promising move. In the end, however, technology caught up with us (or vice versa) and 3D design pointed the way ahead.

A fair number of ships have already been researched and designed by Sandrine (right now, you can show Sandrine a photograph of a battleship and she will tell you what year the photo was taken – much to her chagrin) and verified by David Manley. This has been possible because of 3D design techniques. The miniatures line breaks down like this.

We have designed the models to be super-detailed resin casts (I know, I know, you are tired of hearing the words ‘resin’ and ‘detailed’ in the same sentence, but see my comments before about phasers and you’ll get a sense of what is possible these days) in 1/2,400 scale.

Retail releases will see all major classes released for all major fleets (British, German, US, Japanese, French and Russian). However, and this is where the clever bit of 3D design comes in, Sandrine has not just done a Queen Elizabeth-class model and then moved on. She has done separate models for the Warspite, Valiant, Barham and Malaya. And, so far, has done this for every class of ship she worked on. These sister ships will likely be available by mail order only (as there will of course be a sizeable number in the range) and while we will cover all battleships of the war, we may only do this for a number of cruisers. There do, after all, have to be limits!

Our intent is to produce a line of finely-detailed, low cost 1/2,400 scale ships that will grace any table.

What we do with the rulebook is more open to question. Our original intention was for a big, thick, full colour hardback with lots of photos, pictures of pretty painted fleets, truly comprehensive fleet lists (combining those of the original Victory at Sea and Order of Battle) and lots of articles examining various areas of the sea war – a real feast for naval wargamers!

However, we are now also considering a box set, complete with two fleets of plastic miniatures and everything else needed to form a proper starter set.

As I said, no firm decision just yet, but this is the direction of our thinking.

Since then there have been mentions on their forum that while a release date isn't solid yet, work on the rules is currently in progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Russell
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmb
I for one cannot wait to see this. I hope they go with the boxed set idea. Its about time Naval Gaming got this kind of treatment :p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm late to the discussion, but I'm interested in this too.

I wonder if Age of Dreadnoughts will get this treatment if VaS 2 succeeds. That would undoubtedly be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Becker Jr
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
At this time there are no plans to produce a second edition of the WWI game. As for the new rules we are looking at a rease date in mid 2013.
This book will be huge as there is so much more than the old rule book.
New and expanded rules and abilities. Complete fleet list. OOB's added to the book and historical backgrounds on related subjects.
Coastal rules
Invasion rules
Fleet battles rules
Sub hunt rules
Convoy battle rules

As for minis Mongoose is producing a full line of scaled miniatures. (scale is 1/1800)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Will it still be based on the same basic rules, or a completely new ruleset?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
What about Aircraft? Aircraft Carriers? etc. Pretty important factors in any World War 2 game and World War 2 in general. This is not a critique, but a question. Especially in the Pacific theater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Tanner
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has there been any new developments on this? I would love to get into a naval WWII game and Victory at Sea seems like the one to use considering its merits.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.