Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here at BGG, I have 34 recorded plays of this game. Since my son and I often take it with us when we leave the house, I think I have about the same amount of unrecorded games. Plus I know I don't always think to record the ones in which I play the computer version. So, I've played much more than 34.

Just want to say this---The Battle for Hill 218 is still going strong. We love it. The strategy only gets deeper. At some point I think I even developed a particular style (I'd say a "guarded" approach, trying to win the numbers game). My son definitely has a style---it's called "swarm the hill and see what happens" lol. Serves him wel, too.

Curious how others are enjoying the game after tons of plays. And, have you seen an individual style/approach emerge? I'm sort of surprised by my "guarded" style. I'm usually aggressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G W M
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Annie was a Bayesian....
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike, this one is still going strong for me after 100+ plays. A good question you pose, I play to my cards but would generally say I play fairly aggressively, the trick in this game is knowing when to switch, ie the game may be heading for a card count result. GM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm obviously biased but my plays must be north of 2,000 by now (including against the AI) and I think I'm maybe, maybe, maybe as far up the learning curve as I'm going to get. I still can't get over how much comes in this little tuck-box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I'm obviously biased but my plays must be north of 2,000 by now (including against the AI) and I think I'm maybe, maybe, maybe as far up the learning curve as I'm going to get. I still can't get over how much comes in this little tuck-box.

It's the best value in my entire collection except for getting Beowulf: The Movie Board Game NIB for $5 at Half-Price Books (and maybe getting Clue for $1 at a GoodWill lol). 218 definitely packs a lot of punch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every single gamer on this entire website should own a copy of Hill 218 and carry it around with them wherever they go. It's like army-chess, but it's really like a series of endgame problems. Can't say enough good things about this little gem really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Every single gamer on this entire website should own a copy of Hill 218 and carry it around with them wherever they go. It's like army-chess, but it's really like a series of endgame problems. Can't say enough good things about this little gem really.

I cannot believe more people don't know about this gem. It should be talked about as a staple game, an unbeatable pound-for-pound thinking game that packs a lot of tense moments into such a small box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brugato
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
Nullum gratuitum prandium.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've logged 41 plays. But that's misleading because 'one play' is usually the best 3 out 5 games or something like that.

My son and I continue to play this, usually while we hang out at the local Starbucks.

I never log any of the computer/java plays I make. When I play the computer, I get so stubborn that I won't quit until I finally win one...that can take a long time and many plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.