Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: iPod Touch any good for boardgames? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if the iPod Touch is any good for boardgames?

I don't want an iPhone or iPad, because I already got an HTC Android phone, and for tablets both Samsung and Asus are waaaay superior in hardware abilities (plus they allow tethering so I don't need a second dataplan). But I do feel like I'm missing out on all the iOS boardgames.

What I do need however is a new MP3 player. My first idea was some cheap tiny thing. But then I realised the Touch 4G has iOS on it, and I could use the "my MP3 player is busted" as an excuse to get an iOS gadget after all.

So can you play all the iPhone/iPad boardgames on it?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soeverein wrote:
I was wondering if the iPod Touch is any good for boardgames?

So can you play all the iPhone/iPad boardgames on it?

You will only be able to play apps that a marked Universal or for iPhone. But that includes Carcassonne, Ascension, Ticket To Ride Pocket, Neuroshima Hex, Disc Drivin', Catan, and many others. Seems good to me.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
Soeverein wrote:
I was wondering if the iPod Touch is any good for boardgames?

So can you play all the iPhone/iPad boardgames on it?

You will only be able to play apps that a marked Universal or for iPhone. But that includes Carcassonne, Ascension, Ticket To Ride Pocket, Neuroshima Hex, Disc Drivin', Catan, and many others. Seems good to me.


Thanks. That pretty much answers. Now to decide if I'll buy it right now, or if I'll wait until after my next payday
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to play multiplayer games face-to-face with multiple people sitting around an iPod Touch -- it's certainly feasible for open-information games like Ra and Hive, but it's super-awkward. But networked multiplayer games are a blast.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:
It's hard to play multiplayer games face-to-face with multiple people sitting around an iPod Touch -- it's certainly feasible for open-information games like Ra and Hive, but it's super-awkward. But networked multiplayer games are a blast.


Wait what?

I didn't even know it was possible. I hadn't even considered playing face to face around a touchscreen*. I figure if I want to play face to face I'll do so with the physical game.


* with the exception of a table like
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small world works extremely well face to face on the iPad.

I use my iPod touch for a lot of my board gaming though and I am quite happy with it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmassek wrote:
Small world works extremely well face to face on the iPad.


I can imagine. Too bad Small World is an iPad-only.

Still, for a full tablet I'd rather get an Asus/Samsung which

* can hold SD cards (so I can upgrade memory if I don't immediately get the 64GB version)
* can be tethered to my phone (saves 100 € on MRP + 150 €/year on dataplan)
* has a screen almost an inch larger (since my future tablet will be a comics reader in the first place, a board game gadget second)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soeverein wrote:
* has a screen almost an inch larger (since my future tablet will be a comics reader in the first place, a board game gadget second)

On this point specifically, I'll say that the iPad is an excellent comics reader. This is especially true for manga (which has smaller pages) and for comics that have been specially adapted for mobile devices (Dark Horse has a few). But I've read a couple of full-page, unadapted comics as well and it is very pleasant and readable.

The selection leaves much to be desired, but I think the major comic shops are slowly opening up to the market.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainCosmic wrote:
It's enough to make me wonder if you really have a legitimate question here or if you're looking for a platform war.


Considering I'm going to the store tomorrow for that iTouch, yes, I had a legitimate question, and yes, it's been answered.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What good is superior specs if you can't do much with those specs? An iPad and a android tablet will both do email, web surfing, and comic reading just fine. Gameplay may be better on one of those androids but the problem is their selection sucks, whereas the iPad has great selection. The SD Card feature is a bit weak. I haven't had issues with space on my devices at all. I only see it being an issue if you store tons of video on it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno D
United States
East Northport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soeverein wrote:
CaptainCosmic wrote:
It's enough to make me wonder if you really have a legitimate question here or if you're looking for a platform war.


Considering I'm going to the store tomorrow for that iTouch, yes, I had a legitimate question, and yes, it's been answered.


Go for an iPad, you won't regret it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumb up my stuff.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
According to gizmodo, they are coming out with iPad3 soon. Why don't you wait, they might upgrade the iPod touch too.

That being said, base modle of iPad is only 100 bucks more than iPod touch, and it is well worth it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Delaware
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not in a time crunch (limited funding opportunity, etc.), I'd say "wait" just a bit. I have an iPad2 which I love, and I won't upgrade to a 3, but they should be released "soon" and drive the prices of the 2 down. I love mine for comics, too, but as of late the games have really been my primary timesink.

Good luck with whatever you get!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Calavera
Singapore
flag msg tools
I play mine on an iPhone... but without a doubt, given a chance, it'll be an iPad.

But it seems you've made up your mind on the iPod already right from the getgo...

There's rumors about a "mini-iPad", you might want to hold out for the announcement 1st week of March.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainCosmic wrote:
That's twice now you've mentioned, without any prompting whatsoever, how allegedly "superior" these things are.

It's enough to make me wonder if you really have a legitimate question here or if you're looking for a platform war.


I'd say I'm showing restraint in fact. I asked about iPod Touch and made it 100 % clear I do NOT want an iPad. Yet there's half a dozen posts here making it seem like God's Greatest Gift to Geeks.

But well, thumbs anyway to all who tried to answer the question.

Quote:
base modle of iPad is only 100 bucks more than iPod touch


The difference only becomes 100 euros if I get a 16 GB iPad (480 €) vs a 64 GB iPod (390 €). But 64 GB is more than I need for a MP3 player, and 16 GB is less than I'd need on a tablet.

Quote:
But it seems you've made up your mind on the iPod already right from the getgo...


I decided from the getgo if I were to get ANY Apple item at all, it would be the iPod, since that way I could play iOs boardgames and still hand over less than 200 € to Apple.

I hadn't actually decided on buying it however, until Gabe's post convinced me the Touch was actually good.

Quote:
The SD Card feature is a bit weak. I haven't had issues with space on my devices at all. I only see it being an issue if you store tons of video on it.


"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno D
United States
East Northport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soeverein wrote:
CaptainCosmic wrote:
That's twice now you've mentioned, without any prompting whatsoever, how allegedly "superior" these things are.

It's enough to make me wonder if you really have a legitimate question here or if you're looking for a platform war.


I'd say I'm showing restraint in fact. I asked about iPod Touch and made it 100 % clear I do NOT want an iPad. Yet there's half a dozen posts here making it seem like God's Greatest Gift to Geeks.


Maybe it is and you are in denial

Look, it is more expensive, but right now it is the best platform around for tablet board gaming. In other words, if money is not a problem, there is your answer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for an MP3 player too, then yes, the iPod Touch is your best option! But, as others have pointed out, it's definitely true that there are iPad-exclusive board games (like Small World, Cyclades, and others) that you will miss out on.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.