Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to know if in MoM, the game master is playing competitively like in fury of dracula. In other words, can the game master wins? Else, he is just making the game run correctly like in Hero Quest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
I want to know if in MoM, the game master is playing competitively like in fury of dracula. In other words, can the game master wins? Else, he is just making the game run correctly like in Hero Quest?

According to the rules, the Keeper (game master) is only playing correctly if he/she is try to gut, destroy and consume the investigators. NO MERCY!!!

That said, some find it more enjoyable to play with the Keeper being more a facilitator to the game play (pansies!)

Edit: I should have added: the Keeper can certainly win. He/she has their own win conditions which are different then the win conditions of the investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Askew
United Kingdom
Pelaw, Gateshead
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are choices that the 'GM' has to make (eg which cards to play against the adventurers etc...), this make it much more like 'playing' the game, as opposed to just 'running' it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phrank johnston
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still new to the game, myself, but my feeling from playing it is that the Keeper is playing an entirely different game than the Investigators. The Keeper knows the final objective from the start, so he (or she) is trying to set up a win for themselves while the Investigators are trying to look for clues. That's what I like most about this game so far; the Keeper isn't just a GM or Facilitator, but a player with their own win conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the first time last weekend as Keeper. I drove my opponents (my wife and daughter) insane and kept them from winning (we played "The Green-eyed Boy"). The Keeper wins! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

A tip for Keepers, read ALL of the objective card clues and piece together the story so it makes sense. Then use the Keeper guide for card placements. I thought I could keep myself in the dark about the sub scenarios so if I was an investigator next time the story would be fresh to me. BIG MISTAKE! One of the clues did not go with the scenario back story ...

story spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
boy seeks revenge for being killed by parents

...and it kind of threw a wrench in the feel of the game.

The down side to this is you won't be able to play that particular story as an investigator. But I guess that's what the expansions are for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I am asking is because I am thinking it I should add it to my trade list. If the keeper can win, it is more likely that the game hit the table than if the keeper is only the facilitator.

On the other hand, if you want to custom design scenarios, it needs to be balanced on both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
There are basically two situations in my mind in which the Keeper should hold back:

1) When the Keeper is highly experienced and the Investigators have never played before - don't want to crush them too brutally on their first run, or else they might not agree to play again. (If it's their second game, though? Show no mercy!)

2) When there's an obvious game-breaking exploit that is clearly completely unacceptable but FFG hasn't gotten around to errata'ing yet (like the "Boss can hide behind Sealed Door and be invincible" bug originally was), the Keeper would be wise to avoid exploiting such a loophole if possible.

Outside of edge cases like those, though, this is an adversarial game. The Keeper has a win condition for a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.