Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I have Wrath of Ashardalon and finding it a bit too random and difficult.

Do you have any favourite tweaks you use when playing this or others in the series?

e.g.
less encounters
hero can continue to move onto new tile
balancing for 1-2 characters
stacking the monster deck
etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few games, I find there are less need for tweaks than I thought. Sometimes the dice/cards hate you, that's all, and also you learn to game the system better. Currently I'm using just 2 tweaks, having tried and rejected several others:

1. To reduce the randomness, use 2d10 instead of 1d20. Dice rolls are more consistent. You need to adjust the meaning of critical hits however (critical hit on 18-20 seems about right).

2. To make it easier for small parties, before drawing an Encounter Card, roll the die. If you roll greater than or equal to 12/14/16/18/20 (for 1/2/3/4/5 heroes), do not draw the Encounter Card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Anderson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Simon,

You might get more relevant responses if you posted this question under the appropriate game forum rather than the NZ Gaming Groups forum.

manukajoe wrote:
Hi all

I have Wrath of Ashardalon and finding it a bit too random and difficult.

Do you have any favourite tweaks you use when playing this or others in the series?

e.g.
less encounters
hero can continue to move onto new tile
balancing for 1-2 characters
stacking the monster deck
etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ian, indeed I have been trawling the D&D forums too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmb
Moved to Wrath of Ashardalon Variants forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can do scenarios with special rules, like Shnar´s Rift adventure, that takes care of the encounters in a very clever way¨:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/70374/closing-the-rift-the...

or some of the other stuff created here, like mine with some special rules:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/693640/temple-of-the-crusade...

OR come up with your own special rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I more interested in SMALL TWEAKS that people ACTUALLY USE THEMSELVES.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wopsle
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The favorite tweak I've come up with so far is that I multiply EVERYONE'S HP by 3, and all damage by 4, and then I roll the appropriate die for the Damage.

So if an attack does "1" damage, I multiply that by 4. So the spell has a maximum of 4 damage it can do, but you have to roll a D4 for it. This makes for TONS more drama in the combat.

So a skeleton that has 1HP would now have 3HP, and a spell that would have killed the skeleton for SURE by doing one damage now only has a 50% chance of killing him.

If you're interested in rolling for your damage, let me know and I'll explain myself a little better. I would never think of playing without this variant now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.