Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Thomas
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've been playing Breakthrough:Cambrai solitare, and I was wondering if attacking with everything ya got was better than launching several smaller attacks on the same area.

Pros and cons as I see it (please feel free to add your own):

One BIG attack:
Pros: Maximum damage...Con: Unless you scrub your roll
Pros: Only use up one impulse...Con: Less flexible attack
Pros: You can pile up those artillery markers!...Con: You use up all those assets!

Several Smaller attacks:
Pros: Less painful if you blow your attack roll...Con: Less chance for a big payoff

I know it kinda depends on the situation of course, but I was curious of how people (i.e. all you "Breakout:Normandy" sharks-you know who you are) launch their attacks on the first day.

Also, I'm wondering how many turns the "average" game is lasting? Are you finding that Haig is pulling the plug pretty quickly, or are you going the distance?

Enjoying the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering the same thing. What I have decided to do for now is limit my attacking force as the British to 1 tank and 1 division and throw in artillery support and air if available. I don't like the penalty you take for attacking with different divisions (-1 for each division). If you use tanks for support that exhausts them.

Let's compare an assault with 1 supporting division with 2 divisions. One division adds 3 points, 2 divisions adds 6-2 or 4 points.

Anyway that's my thought. I'm a beginner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Kidwell
United States
St. Louis area
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played it solitare, I found I had more success with the big attack than the little ones. But success is still in the dice roll. The small attacks the Germans often would be able to blunt just by how the dice went,while the big attacks still were costly, but they gained ground, and since you are working against the clock, you have to keep pushing. That is my impressions, I still could use some more playing time, especially against a person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this a few times before it came out, and I once got crushed (as the Germans) by an absolute monster attack in Turn 2. I am afraid I forget all the details, but my opponent devoted all his artillery points to go for it, and he got the result he needed: huge and un-repairable hole in the lines.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacking with a tank as your Point Unit, one division, and artillery support was how the game was conceived (and how I myself play it, usually). But arguments can be made for all the other variations mentioned too.

Michael Rinella
Designer, Breakthrough: Cambrai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.