Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Spode
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am moving and think I will turn an unfinished section of my new basement into my game storage area. The section is framed just not insulated/dry walled.

Previously I had been using the cheap 5 shelf bookcases form target, but I think I may want to use something more efficient. What are some good storage options?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Enoch
United States
Vadnais Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IKEA Expedit:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60208648/

You can also remove the inserts and cut the dowels to make some slots double wide for larger games like TI3, Runewars, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnytheSkin wrote:
IKEA Expedit:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60208648/

You can also remove the inserts and cut the dowels to make some slots double wide for larger games like TI3, Runewars, etc.

Like this...

and this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy a few sheets of plywood. Cut & screw/glue together in whatever configuration you want. Voila!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
Buy a few sheets of plywood. Cut & screw/glue together in whatever configuration you want. Voila!

Take half a day, and you will have a great way to store your games! I would suggest MDF. Looks cleaner than plywood!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Goss
United States
Upland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even better material, MDF coated with melamine. It usually comes in 16 x 96 sheets and no painting required, most sheets are white and it can sometime be found in black. It's already the perfect depth, just cut the length to size. Stores like Home Depot sell it. This is what I built my shelves out of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten S
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one having a detailed look at the games whenever anybody posts pictures of their collection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
brdk18 wrote:
I would suggest MDF. Looks cleaner than plywood!

If you do use MDF, make sure you use seriously thick MDF - it sags more easily than plywood does.

If I were worried about appearance, I might use ply and just lip it with a bit of MDF moulding or something. You can get faced ply, as well, it's just not so common - at least around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my shelves to hold not only boardgames, but miniature wargaming and RPG and CCG materials. Previous "cheap" (i.e. moderately priced) shelves had bowed and warped under pressure of books and figures, so I went for something that would last.

I ended up with a set of Ivar shelves from Ikea. These are deep enough to hold Twilight Imperium and Descent side-on. I have one two-foot wide shelf FILLED with books, and it doesn't even begin to bow. These shelves are fully customisable with multiple widths, depths, heights, draws, cupboards, corner units, everything.

These are pictures taken six months ago. The shelves are now all in place correctly, here several are missing and/or not completely unpacked:

And soon this one is to be replaced by a shallower set of Ivar shelves:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ikea stuff is nice, but way too expensive for me, compared to what I could get elsewhere. I know people hate them, but I got 3 shelves at Walmart for less than the price of *one* shelf at Ikea. I think I paid $40 each. Three is enough to hold my entire collection (though it's growing, I may have to add a 4th, if I had a place to put it...)

These things are solidly built, yet cheap. I haven't seen any bowing at all in the 3 years I've had them. 6 feet tall, 1 foot deep, 5 shelves, which gives you 3 perfect shelves for Ticket to Ride, Endeavor size boxes (no wasted space above the box, but no rubbing), 1 shelf for taller items such as Tikal, Rallyman, and 1 shelf for smaller items like Queen games, Carcassonne, etc. Insane stuff like Planet Steam goes horizontally on the top of the shelf.

I think they look better than the stuff above. Ivar is too industrial, Expedit has too small of openings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mjoellnir wrote:
Am I the only one having a detailed look at the games whenever anybody posts pictures of their collection?

Geeet orrrff moi laaaaanndd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dry
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am looking to make some shelving, but to make my design complete I need the dimensions of the big Descent sized box. I want my shelves to accommodate that monster sized box if I decide to take the plunge. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jathromir wrote:
I too am looking to make some shelving, but to make my design complete I need the dimensions of the big Descent sized box. I want my shelves to accommodate that monster sized box if I decide to take the plunge. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Eric

Approximately 12"x24"x5".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Goss
United States
Upland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what you mean by 'monster size box'. I have personally found that 16" depth is perfect for almost all games. If a box is longer than that, I turn it on its side and stack similar size boxes on top of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dry
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they are referred to as coffin boxes. Like descent and boxes of that size. Thanks Slev!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
I needed cheap, sturdy, decent looking, custom shelves. So I got a bunch of 8' long 2x12's and put mine up all the way to the ceiling. I just sanded and put a coat of finish on them and sealed them with poly. They are straight and span the entire 8' length with out noticeable sag (important when considering you need to stack lots of heavy games on them). Very sturdy. They are not the best looking shelves in the world, but they were cheap, easy enough to do over a series of days after work, and look nice enough for the apartment. They are attached with dowels to the lower shelf so the weight and size could be accounted for and let me go to the 11' ceiling.

I'll try to get a pic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hobbs
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, no thread about DIY shelves is complete without a link to the Sagulator:

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

Use it to help determine materials, depths and lengths for your shelves, and it'll help you avoid "happy" shelves.

Edit: nine months later, I notice a silly typo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, it says in withing the target for my shelves, guess my estimate of needing the 2x12 was pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Call
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the Ikea Expidet. After you have removed the shelves for the bigger games you can turn them horizontal drill a few holes and insert them into other squares to make shorter shelves for those small card games so they are not stacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd M
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how have everyone's shelves been holding up? Both the IVAR and EXPEDIT keeping their sag under control?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an IVAR shelf that has had around 20 years worth of White Dwarf magazine on it, very heavy, for the last 2.5 years.

No bowing or sagging AT ALL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hyer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I specifically went with Ivar because I wanted shelving that was 18" deep, and can go higher than a lot of other shelves. It's not the prettiest, but it lets me place large games end on. Railroad Tycoon, Roads & Boats, Axis & Allies, Fortress America all go in lengthwise.

They're holding up fine with no sagging. I've got 4 sections and it ran close to 300 I think. I really like being able to have adjustable shelf height.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got a pic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Meacher
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
I specifically went with Ivar because I wanted shelving that was 18" deep, and can go higher than a lot of other shelves. It's not the prettiest, but it lets me place large games end on. Railroad Tycoon, Roads & Boats, Axis & Allies, Fortress America all go in lengthwise.

They're holding up fine with no sagging. I've got 4 sections and it ran close to 300 I think. I really like being able to have adjustable shelf height.

How was the construction process? Are the shelves sitting on a metal rod like the crap you get from Walmart or is it glued or screwed in? Ive been frustrated with Walmart shelving and how they sit on 1 inch metal pegs, and sink and warp a TON.

Im ready to pull the trigger on the Ivar after reading through this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have three sets of shelving that I built by hand.

Shelving unit 1

Made from MDF, threaded rod, and nuts and washers. So long as you support MDF often enough, the sag is super minimal! I've had these shelves for 8 years now and they're still the same as the day I built them.

The bonus with this construction is that they're super adjustable. Just turn the nuts and you can micro-adjust the height!

Shelving unit 2

Made from solid oak! Oak is expensive, you say. However, I made these from a bunch of church pews someone was selling on Craigslist. I bought about a dozen pews for around $200 total, which made a ton of shelving.

Using the backs of the pews as shelving was awesome, since the top of the back already had a decorating bull-nose trim piece, which made the shelves very rigid as well as already trimmed. It was definitely work, but it's a great way to get cheap, solid wood shelving.

Since the seats were slightly dished to contour to peoples' butts, that part of each pew wasn't usable for shelving, so I put those back on Craigslist and got $100 out of them since it was a ton of oak for someone to rip down into molding/trim pieces. So, all in all, the oak was $100 or so.

Shelving unit 3

I wanted a good place for all my smaller games and card games, so I made these out of pipe and pipe fittings. Works like a charm! However, it's not super cheap for the amount of shelving you get, as the materials are a little pricey. I was pretty attached to the look I had in mind though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.