Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether grammatical or errata-invoking, FFG has quite a rep for rampant typos. I just picked up Rex today, thumbed through it, and was rather impressed with the solid rules of play. Then I stumbled upon page 11, 8th paragraph down:

"A player cannot deploy units into a sector under bombardment..."

Not trying to dis here; I am a huge fan. Many of my dollars are funding the monthly electrical consumption of Christian Peterson's jacuzzi. It just seems that no matter how diligent they are, their proofreaders nod off at some point and hold down a shift key (right before that trip to the printer).

I can't say that I have ever seen a partially bold(ed) typo before. So, kudos in that respect. The age old saying is true: there is no gamer in grammar. But dang close this time, fellas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am convinced that FFG's proofreading department consists of someone's nephew, an intern, and a retired research chimp that can smoke, do dishes, and knows more than 400 words in sign language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the typo? The sentence reads completely normally and understandably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the formatting, which, weirdly, they caught it in time for the pdf rulebook.

If you want, you can go over the "cann" with an extra-fine sharpie. Or just always use the pdf, which is what people should be doing anyways, since it's searchable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, the bold. I, too, was confused. At first I thought this post was joking since that quote seems to be one of the rare examples of the usually correct "cannot" versus "can not" that seems to be more common on Internet posts.

I must now see if this will help me decide to pass on this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
Where is the typo? The sentence reads completely normally and understandably.

Exactly, less a typo, more of a inconsistency in formatting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that cuts it...when my copy arrives Saturday it goes up for trade.whistle

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a second instance of this same formatting issue on page 15, paragraph 7.

Also, I believe the definition of typo encompasses and includes formatting. The various sources I used to confirm this all included mechanical failures and/or any mistake (no matter the type).

Lastly, I am not burning my bra here. I simply am amused at how gaming companies, no matter the size, no matter the resources, generally drop the ball in this specific capacity, time and time again. As a bit of a word nerd I find it funny, esp. when people are credited proofreaders that simply failed at their charge.

Look at the Forbidden Alchemy debacle; yowza! I bought that 3 plus months ago and still have yet to play it. I was one of the first to post that a card was listed in the Keeper Guide that did not exist. Corey K. jumped in to clarify, and typed the wrong name again (this time an entirely new card that didn't exist)! This obviously has instigated change, as the ability to comment on many of the posts on FFG have been disabled. Couple this with their recent acquisition of a Technical Writer, and I think it shows some effort, at least, to rectify these mistakes moving forward.

Anyway, the game looks fantastic. I look forward to playing it, as I am a fan of Dune. This partially bolded nonsense isn't a huge deal by any means, esp. in lieu of the aforementioned ball dropage. At least there is a consistent use of the Oxford comma in this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gowe
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
kobold47 wrote:
Just the formatting, which, weirdly, they caught it in time for the pdf rulebook.

If you want, you can go over the "cann" with an extra-fine sharpie. Or just always use the pdf, which is what people should be doing anyways, since it's searchable.

You would go over the "cann" with a sharpie or use a PDF simply because it's in bold?

OOOOOkay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Another oops on page 16 in the example of the Influence Phase. They use the numeric value (10) to describe Influence placement in one sector then the written value (eight) for another, both in the same sentence.

The horror!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrevorGowe wrote:
kobold47 wrote:

You would go over the "cann" with a sharpie or use a PDF simply because it's in bold?

OOOOOkay.

No, I would use the pdf because they're fast and convenient and every player can simultaneously check the rules.
Whether anyone else should use a sharpie or pdf depends on how much they care about partially bolded text. In my defense, here we are participating in a thread about it. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Another oops on page 16 in the example of the Influence Phase. They use the numeric value (10) to describe Influence placement in one sector then the written value (eight) for another, both in the same sentence.

The horror!

Newspaper style -- less than 10, written; 10 or greater, numeral. Makes me wonder if someone at FFG was a journalist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am aware of this precedent, but it comes across as inconsistent in this medium. They do not follow this as a style guide, as it changes from product to product, as does the Oxford comma usage. I know Steve Kimball is a highly-skilled grammarian, so perhaps this is in fact the case. If so, then the embarrassment rests squarely on my shoulders.

robotrobotrobotrobot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbuel wrote:
Quote:

The horror!

Newspaper style -- less than 10, written; 10 or greater, numeral. Makes me wonder if someone at FFG was a journalist.

I learned it this way in school. It has sense bugged me when people type out, "In the last 2 days it has rained." I've never seen someone trying to type out numbers larger than 11, though, but I'm sure that'd look weird, too.

I blame texting and RPGs for the former

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, entirely. Alas, I found one more instance of the formatting issue that prompted this persnickety post: TWICE on page 20!!! Crimes! Outrage! Guffaws!

Other than that, this is the best source book I have seen from FFG. Many a thing has slipped past the proofers at FFG, but, this time, it appears to just be this single, yet recurring, issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the long run, it's the game that matters but it would be nice if they could be professional in the proof-reading department. I'll still be getting this soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If all you can find for errors in a 32 page book is some misbolding I'd consider that a win. I won't get into the process but let's just say that editing/proofreading isn't as easy as you think.

Matt (check the credits to find how I'm mildly offended)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LannisterGold wrote:
Matt (check the credits to find how I'm mildly offended)

For what it's worth, I see no reason why anyone should be offended at this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JVKhoury wrote:
I am convinced that FFG's proofreading department consists of someone's nephew, an intern, and a retired research chimp that can smoke, do dishes, and knows more than 400 words in sign language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LannisterGold wrote:
JVKhoury wrote:

Don't be sad, Matt. That's one badass chimp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
O God, thy sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mb
LannisterGold wrote:
JVKhoury wrote:

There's no shame in being an intern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LannisterGold wrote:
JVKhoury wrote:

Ah, I did not see that. I have a habit of skipping over negative posts. Still, don't be offended. That's just a 'net person being quite un-neighborly.

I look forward to getting your game in my hands soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh no harm no foul. I just do freelance work for them occasionally, outside of my other full time job. I'm planning on giving Rex my first play on Friday and am excited for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My joke was just that, a joke and not meant to hurt anyone's feelings, but I should consider that FFG does have proofreaders and that my joke is certainly at their expense.

Please understand that I am a huge FFG fan, and that after years of errata, FAQS, misprints, ambiguities, missing or incorrect components, questionable playtesting, and the like I've had enough. Some would call my behavior that of a spoiled, entitled troll, but I could easily call them apologists who are giving FFG a pass. Let's face it, FFG gets a lot of love for the awesome stuff they put out and the geek niche it fills, but would we really accept this level of service from another company?

This is a minor mistake and rather insignificant. According to a few posters in this thread, the Rex rulebook is well done and has few errors, so the proofreaders did a good job in this case. But, poor proofing and quality control is systemic for FFG. I feel bad for calling them out when many FFG employees are awesome members of this community. I certainly wouldn't want to read a thread detailing how badly I screwed up at my own job today, especially if I felt like the critics were cherry-picking or being unfair.

But, I'm not being unfair. Here's an example pulled cherry-picked from a thread about the Mansions of Madness expansion:

salty53 wrote:
Have a look at these gems from the errata. Note that these two corrections are listed consecutively in the errata and refer to consecutive Events from the same scenario, and I have made no changes save to bold one word for emphasis:

The Errata wrote:
Event Card III: This card should use the term “health”
instead of “wounds.”

Event Card IV: The 1A and 1C sections of this card
should read “The keeper places West in the Library. West is
a named maniac with +3 wounds per investigator. When the
keeper uses the Creature of Night action, West may move up
to 3 spaces instead of 1.”

Wow, it's like they're not even trying.

I don't understand how stuff like this just keeps happening and, as a fan, I'm frustrated beyond belief. I imagine this is how Washington Capitals fans feel with Ovechkin right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, this isn't a personal attack. But, let's be fair. A company with the seeming resources at FFG's disposal should be a tad more conscious of errors like this. People pay top dollar for most of these games, and, in the instance of Alchemy, it's beyond unacceptable to open a product rife with this many mistakes, a good sum of which were due to poor proofing. If anything, this is symptomatic of the company's penchant for churning out game after game, flooding the market with no apparent emphasis on quality control beyond visual aesthetic.

Point of fact, I myself have done quite a bit of proofing/editing on a freelance basis. Some of this work was done in the gaming realm, but most of which was for educational sources and corporate training guides. And while, inevitably, some mishaps made it through to print, blunders of any kind were career nullifying with most of these employers. I mean, after all, isn't this the expectation of someone tasked to handle editing? To say, hey it's not nearly as screwed up as some of FFG's stuff isn't a victory of any sort. Would the art department let an unfinished drawing make it to print that featured a character who was accidentally bereft of fundamental anatomical components, like a guy with no nose, or just floating around without legs? I see no difference. Success should be measured by how well something is done, not by how it is better than something that is easily appraised as poor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.