Taboo» Forums » Rules

Subject: Taboo Dispute - guessing more than the listed word rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeniqua Jeniqua
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My fam and I played taboo last night and came across this dispute. If the word is " sore" and the active player gets the guessers to guess the term "sore throat", would that get points for guessing the word OR would it be the players responsibility to continue with trying to get the guessers to only guess "sore".

My thought is that the player needs to be savvy enough to aim the guessers toward the one word as it is listed on the card.

Another example is, if the word is "radio" and the player gets the team to guess the band "radio head", would the team get the points?

What are your thoughts, what have you see?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd give 'em credit for both. It is a party game, after all. Not to be played cutthroat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

We've always played that the word or homonyms count.

So for sore, sore throat would count, soar would count, but sorry (even though it contains the sound sore) would not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luchador
United States
Atchison
Kansas
flag msg tools
Let's get down to the nitty gritty
badge
They don't think I know a buttload of crap about the Werewolf...but I DO.
mb
chearns wrote:
Hi,

So for sore, sore throat would count, soar would count, but sorry (even though it contains the sound sore) would not.

There's a joke about Canadian accents in there somewhere...unless I'm the one with the accent.

AS to the post I'd allow it. That kind of thinking on one's feet should be rewarded not stifled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Watrous
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time. Matchstickman. True, so very true.
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjro wrote:
chearns wrote:
Hi,

There's a joke about Canadian accents in there somewhere...unless I'm the one with the accent.

AS to the post I'd allow it. That kind of thinking on one's feet should be rewarded not stifled.

You're the one with the accent. Reminds me of when I was a kid growing up in the North and would go down south to visit relatives. We would go to church and I was always asked to read the bible lesson--seemed like an inordinate amount of reading for one person. So one time I asked why. They replied, "We like your accent."

Not to post-jack; yeah, leniency in party games. If you're cut-throat in party games, you'll never get them to play a board game.

edited for spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Taboo Rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played that if the guesser is too specific, that counts. If too general, it doesn't.

In this case, they certainly guessed the concept of 'sore' just were more specific than they needed to be. That's guessing the concept in our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the rules for Catch Phrase! specifically say that guessing the correct word and then some does in indeed count. So there's precedent in other, very similar, games at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.