Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
This was Marc's third game of Lords of Waterdeep, and he began it with the declaration that it would see him build his first building. Well, it did... but it came in the very last turn of the game and had little effect. Meanwhile, even going second for most of the game, I built four extremely useful buildings that complemented my strategy perfectly and let me attain an incredibly high score.

I also had a very good run of the available quests, gaining a perfect arrangement of piety and warfare quests, which I needed for my Lord - Piergeiron the Paladinson.

Lords of Waterdeep is not as much of an engine game as (say) Agricola, but it does have a few quests, the Plot Quests, that can link together to make your job a lot easier. Then too, the choice of buildings that are constructed in the game is very important. Was I lucky that a lot of fighter and priest buildings became available? Yes, somewhat. However, this could have been counteracted if Marc had built other buildings (indeed, a lot of rogue buildings were available!)

One very unusual point about this game was that Marc's Lord - Nymara Scheiron - was the exact opposite of mine, interested in completing Commerce and Skullduggery quests. This is quite unusual - in a two-player game, there's only a 1-in-10 chance of the opponent getting the opposing lord, although there's also a 1-in-10 chance of them getting Larissa, who only cares about buildings. 80% of the time your opponent will be contesting for you with one of the quest types.

I completed 15 quests this game (including 3 plot quests and 2 mandatory quests) to Marc's 9. Marc had the early lead - 48-29 after the third turn - and it was only after the sixth turn that I came into the lead (90-89), but the final stages of the game were crushing for Mark. I completed quest after quest after quest, and after the final turn, the scores were 149-116. Final scoring made the final gap bigger, and I broke the 200 point barrier.

Merric 205 = 149 + 8 adventurers + 48 Lord
Marc 153 = 116 + 4 adventures + 1 gold + 32 Lord

So, when you play Lords of Waterdeep: Beware! Don't let your opponent control the game (and stop them building everything!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Eldridge
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another nice report! We really need to get this out next Saturday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Stadler
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
Merric, can you tell us a bit more about the plot quests?

How many of them are there? How important are they? Is there a big chance to search and find one that is helpful for your strategy or is it random whether you find a useful one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 15 plot quests in the 60 card deck (so, 1 in 4). AFAIK, there's no way of searching for plot quests. They are a lot better if you get them in the early game, but they seem to be balanced against the point-scoring quests: I've never felt the lack when I didn't have them.

You start with 2 randomly assigned quests, and from then on you can select from the four quests that are dealt onto the board (randomly). When you refill the quests, there's a good chance there'll be a plot quest you could take.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Stadler
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

By searching I meant using the discard quests before buying option. So there is only a small chance to find the correct one but there probably is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Marstiller
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merric-
I've only just read the rules and have yet to play but am very excited to get my hands on this one. A quick question about quests...I read in the rules that you could only complete one quest per turn and I think there are only 8 rounds (could be wrong on this). How do you get to complete 15 quests? Are there special bonuses that allow for completing more quests on your turn? Or am I completely missing something? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns and rounds aren't the same thing.

Each player gets 2-5 turns (depending on players and #agents) a round.

You play an agent, then you can complete a quest. In latter part of a 2-player game, with five agents, you could conceivably complete 5 quests in a round, but that's very unlikely.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Marstiller
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. I was pretty certain I was being an idiot.

Does the playing of the agent have to have anything to do with the quest or is it more just a limiting factor to how many quests you can complete and when?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:

I wish they had used a number of Rounds per Turn instead. Just to be more D&D-ish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marstiller wrote:
Got it. I was pretty certain I was being an idiot.

Does the playing of the agent have to have anything to do with the quest or is it more just a limiting factor to how many quests you can complete and when?

The agents gather resources (adventurers, gold, more quests) or allow play of intrigue cards or other effects. They're not directly related to the quest you then may complete.

Your turn is:
* You MUST place an agent (if you have one available)
* Then, you MAY complete a quest

If you can't place an agent, you can't complete a quest.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
MerricB wrote:

I wish they had used a number of Rounds per Turn instead. Just to be more D&D-ish.

That's AD&D terminology, but the round/turn terminology works that way in D&D 4E.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
That's AD&D terminology, but the round/turn terminology works that way in D&D 4E.

Ahhh, that makes perfect sense then. I'll just go back to my 1st edition books and yell at the kids on my lawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I *am* running an AD&D campaign at the moment. (And a 4E one...)

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the session reports. Waterdeep is quickly going from curiosity to a must have game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
One very unusual point about this game was that Marc's Lord - Nymara Scheiron - was the exact opposite of mine, interested in completing Commerce and Skullduggery quests. This is quite unusual - in a two-player game, there's only a 1-in-10 chance of the opponent getting the opposing lord, although there's also a 1-in-10 chance of them getting Larissa, who only cares about buildings. 80% of the time your opponent will be contesting for you with one of the quest types.

I think you might've undercalculated the odds here. Only really caught my attention as my first play today ended up Piergeiron vs Sammereza, neither getting extra points for the same quests. So going over them, I get a 40% chance of getting a draw (2-player) where both sides don't contest the quests, at least not for their own extra VP.

Example:

Piergeiron (P/W Quests)

can go up against any of the following

Larissa (buildings)
Brianne (A/S)
Sammereza (A/C)
Nymara (C/S)

and not contest the same quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Herbie Hancock: Takin' Off // Art Farmer & Bill Evans: Modern Art // Sonny Rollins: Way Out West
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
I think you might've undercalculated the odds here.

I was about to say the same when I saw your post. I suspect Merric was doing the math as of there were only 4 quest types, when there are actually 5 (and with 4 there would only have been 7 lords total anyway, not 11).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.