Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the article previously mentioned in Game Trader Magazine this month, there was a full page ad on the back cover that you might find of interest:

Some things to note:
- Cartoony look continues throughout.
- Indoor-to-Outdoor transition tiles (similar to Road To Legend)
- Tokens Per CardType (look like different Threat tokens?)
- They maintain the normal/master monster (look at the bottom of the Spider card), at least for the 1st Ed figs.
- The conversion monsters have a "I" and a "II" on them, a scaling of some sort.
- Beastman I stats: 4 Move, 2 Hearts, White Shield Die
- Spider I stats: 4 Move, 4 Hearts, White Shield Die
- Master Spider I stats: ? Move, 7 Hearts, White Shield Die
- Giant II stats: 3 Move, 12 Hearts, Black (blue?) Shield Die

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
When I get sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead, true story.
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
...look continues throughout.

I have not played the original but am super pumped about trying this one. That said, I really like the art presented here. I thought it was closer to the "realistic" side of the spectrum in a semi comic book style... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is this constant harping on the "cartoony" look of the art? I think it looks cool, not to mention that the minis shown on the ad look great. And the new dungeon tiles are a huge improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And we creep ever so slowly towards release!!
Can't wait!!

Thanks for the find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
Between this advertisement, the GTM article, and the original announcement you can see all 8 heroes and three of their sculpts.

While I believe you're right, that's not necessarily true. The three heroes that appear in the Descent box aren't in the base game. In eiter case, we can assume that, eventually, we'll see those 8 heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
KenToad wrote:
What is this constant harping on the "cartoony" look of the art? I think it looks cool, not to mention that the minis shown on the ad look great. And the new dungeon tiles are a huge improvement.

I'm concerned about this harping as well. Do the people who are already invested in Descent not want new players to join in? (Because I certainly feel unwelcome in EVERY Descent forum because of all the complaining and bickering.) Is this what we can hope to get for players at our table? This is not a welcoming thought. Or is it, that Descent makes us whiny and annoying? I hope not.

At any rate, I'm still sort of pumped about the 2ed coming out. I don't have the first edition at all and would like to play a game that has this apparent amount of diversity and depth. I hope I'm not driven away before the game becomes available in my region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Nemeth
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Master spider has 75% more lifepoints than the normal spider... Sounds like a step in the right direction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gastel wrote:
KenToad wrote:

I'm concerned about this harping as well. Do the people who are already invested in Descent not want new players to join in? (Because I certainly feel unwelcome in EVERY Descent forum because of all the complaining and bickering.) Is this what we can hope to get for players at our table? This is not a welcoming thought. Or is it, that Descent makes us whiny and annoying? I hope not.

At any rate, I'm still sort of pumped about the 2ed coming out. I don't have the first edition at all and would like to play a game that has this apparent amount of diversity and depth. I hope I'm not driven away before the game becomes available in my region.

I loved 1st ed Descent; I'm expecting to love the 2nd ed version too. Try not to get too discouraged by the haters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Virata
United States
Fairfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if they are translating the Road to Legends/Sea of Blood Lieutenants into the Conversion Kit?

They never did release the Sea of Blood Figs, did they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the original preview they did, I saw one of the Farrow brothers so I think, at least some of the lieutenants will be part of the base game (thus no need for conversion).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
rolvtd wrote:
Does anyone know if they are translating the Road to Legends/Sea of Blood Lieutenants into the Conversion Kit?

They never did release the Sea of Blood Figs, did they?

They did release them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
KenToad wrote:

It's about a cool as a turd in an icebox.
Terrinoth has had consistant artwork in what, 5 different games and god knows how many expansion? They decide to do an art-style change now? In a product they are promoting as being backwards compatable? Why?
This artwork looks like it belongs in cadwellion with a dash of world of warcraft. I preferred it when it was it's own thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Böttcher
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Knappe-Oelmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KenToad wrote:

Well, cool is not the word I would use to describe the dwarf that looks like Santa Clause enraged ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just happy that FFG came up with new art instead of recycling old favourites again as they do so much in their Terrinoth and Cthulhu games. Either way, I really don't mind as long as the second edition is generally 1) more steamlined and 2) shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Böttcher
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
Between this advertisement, the GTM article, and the original announcement you can see all 8/9 heroes and three of their sculpts.

Shoulder-pads Elf wielding sword
Female elf in this pic
Lamp-shade wielding paladan
Human Ranger with a bow
Human Mage aka Leoric of the book (mini in pic above)
Half-orc female necromancer
Halfling rogue (mini in pic above)
Dwarf
Human Blue Warrior (mini in pic above)

The "shoulder-pad Elf" is holding the Lamp. I think the Paladin on the cover and the Paladin-miniature are the same (both mace and shield). So 8 heroes ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Cubberley
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Terrinoth has had consistant artwork in what, 5 different games and god knows how many expansion? They decide to do an art-style change now? In a product they are promoting as being backwards compatable? Why?
This artwork looks like it belongs in cadwellion with a dash of world of warcraft. I preferred it when it was it's own thing.

That's a fair criticism. Runebound, Runewars, Rune Age, Descent, even Dungeon Quest are all supposedly set in the same world, and have their own distinct art style. Changing it for a second edition is an odd move, and one that, as far as I can see it, is purely there to divorce it from the previous edition.

Not that I dislike the art style, but what was wrong with the former?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Litwiller
United States
McPherson
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
what was wrong with the former?

There was nothing "wrong" with the former, but the new style will be much more appealing to a wider audience. I for one am hoping the new art style is a little more family friendly (less cleavage), as I am planning to play this game with my Little Brother. So far I am very excited and SO glad I pre-ordered this game, and for a measly $55
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Lundin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know when it will be released? I can barely wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth Kick Starts August 28th
badge
Gloom of Kilforth Kick Starts August 28th
mbmbmbmbmb
_Marty_ wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

That's a fair criticism. Runebound, Runewars, Rune Age, Descent, even Dungeon Quest are all supposedly set in the same world, and have their own distinct art style. Changing it for a second edition is an odd move, and one that, as far as I can see it, is purely there to divorce it from the previous edition.

Not that I dislike the art style, but what was wrong with the former?

There doesn't have to be anything wrong for a company to radically change the art style, but it's very common for it to change in a second edition, just like movies getting 'rebooted':

Arkham Horror 1st edition:

Arkham Horror 2nd edition:

Tales of the Arabian Nights 1st edition:

Tales of the Arabian Nights 2nd edition:

Fury of Dracula 1st edition:

Fury of Dracula 2nd edition:

Etc.

Personally, I'm ambivalent about the art style in both editions - the first was pretty cartoony already so I don't see the big deal. New cartoony art has to be better than the same old cartoony art yet again. Although the 2nd edition tiles appear to be way cooler. cool

NB. The second editions above are from different companies but you get the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

JonthVanha wrote:

Well, cool is not the word I would use to describe the dwarf that looks like Santa Clause enraged ... ;)

"Twas the night before Christmas when all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse"

Enraged Santa Dwarf: "OH NO YE DON'T YE STINKIN VARMIT"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the map that is laid out in the picture, you can see little '?' tokens on it. I'm getting the feeling that these constitute something like 'Explored?' tokens; the OL may not spawn creatures in areas that have been explored...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's as Frank said, we've got years of one type of look & feel for multiple Terrinoth games. Now Descent 2nd Ed comes out, and it's like it's set in a completely different universe. So that means A) it's not as cross-compatible across the other games (doesn't fit as nicely and the cross-gaming feature is something I thought was rather cool) or B) all the other Terrinoth games are going to get a facelift (which means I need to rebuy all those games too).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scratches wrote:

Enraged Santa Dwarf: "OH NO YE DON'T YE STINKIN VARMIT"

Since when does Santa come from the deep south?

*Redux*

Enraged Santa Dwarf: "I guess I should take care of that mouse, eh?!"
* Enraged Santa Dwarf slays mouse *
Enraged Santa Dwarf: "Sorry ab00t that, little fella'."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, one of the older previews shows cards that mentions "your [the OL's] monster groups" and in the image you can see a number of different piles of tokens. Maybe a connection there...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.