Subject: Help reducing the Battles time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cristian Mihaescu
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like very much to play Napoleon (3rd edition) with an exception, the Battles are too long with a huge number of dice rolling. I'm looking for any suggestion to reduce the Battles time.

How about increasing the probability of the hits (with F1):
- infantry fires F2 when engaged
- artillery fires F2 if unengaged and F3 when engaged
- cavalry fires F3 when engaged (and no shock bonus)
It could be a good solution?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Whyman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I need more TIME
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could just play 2nd edition instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Philosophy
Napoleon is a game of maneuver.

In general, if you fight only on your terms rather than the opponent's, you may no longer have concerns regarding the time to resolved combats. I've seen cases where the game is over before the battle begins because one side outfoxed the other.

If you look at what ultimately happened, Napoleon found himself in a head-on battle at Hougoumont, where the Allies had a superb position, and the Prussian army soon to arrive on his flank. If this happened in this boardgame, chances are the outcome would be obvious enough that the French would consider surrendering.

Actually, when it comes to the ultimate battle, I find that it enjoyable to see how it plays out.

Certainly, check out Napoleon's Last Battles if you want a game where combat does not take a long time to resolve. Certainly a CRT based game means faster combat, but then people complain that each die roll is more important because there are fewer of them. I generally prefer buckets of dice because of the laws of large numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.