Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Anderson
United States
Annandale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to play this more, but my family can't get past the odd smell of the pieces. Sort of sulfurous...... Anyone else have this problem? Anyone come up with a solution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine too.

I sold it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put my pieces in the sun for a whole day (outside on the balcony). That takes almost all of the smell out. You still smell the odor when you open the box, but it dissipates in just a minute or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DenverWolf wrote:
I put my pieces in the sun for a whole day (outside on the balcony). That takes almost all of the smell out. You still smell the odor when you open the box, but it dissipates in just a minute or two.

I did this too. And washed them with soap, and soaked them in water. The final results were similar to yours--they still smell, but far less than they did. People I have played with have commented on the smell, but nobody has really complained about it.

A couple minutes on the internet revealed more options for plastic in general: Soak them in very-diluted white vinegar, and/or enclose the plastic along with a source of carbon (they suggested newspapers). I have no idea if either of those would work, or would be safe, so try them at your own risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmb
I don't know about newspaper, but if the problem persists you could try activated carbon. It's an excellent odor absorber, and it's not terribly expensive. It's often sold for use with aquariums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to try would be a dryer sheet in the box. They are good at absorbing odors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the helpful tips! My copy just arrived from Tanga and it does indeed smell. For now I just left everything out on the table to air out for a few hours, but will seek out a more robust solution if necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I put the pieces in a sealed container full of activated carbon (from a fish store) for a couple days. Didn't seem to make much difference. I tried soaking them in diluted vinegar for 3 days. May have helped some...too early to tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midge Bork
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The paper pieces only smell because they were contaminated by the plastic ones. I put the board and chits in the folds of a newspaper and am confident this will eliminate any lingering scent. As for all the plastic: I wrapped them in plastic bags and threw them in the freezer. I'm sure this will work -- just don't know how long I should leave them in. (I think overnight)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get your finger out of my face!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...I received my copy through Tanga a week or two ago, opened it to punch and check out the bits right away, then finally played through our first game tonight. Have not noticed any odd smell at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dunkle
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Better than vinegar (and be sure you use diluted vinegar, as pure can do a decent job dissolving the plastic):

Spray down with (or dip in, if it's something small) 50/50 vinegar/water;
Wipe down with (or roll around in) baking soda; rinse off;

repeat the cycle a few times, and it'll keep knocking the PH back and forth and kills pretty much any odor I've ever seen.

Actually, I'd say research this a little, as the 50/50 seems too strong now that I think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midge Bork
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freezing didn't work. I've emailed the company and am awaiting their solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midge Bork
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ystari has said they will replace the offensive pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlyn Morenus
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried airing them for a week and sunning them for a day. No improvement. Then I asked Ystari about the problem and they kindly sent me another set of plastic pieces. But the new set smells just like the originals. Really disappointing, cuz I like the game, but the smell is a problem for both my dh and me. I guess I'll try vinegar next . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocko George
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is such an odd topic. I recently got this game and did notice a strange odor, but only after reading these posts and Super Sniffing all the pieces.

In standard play it was not noticeable. Does anyone know why this happened?? So weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
Annandale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The odor is quite noticeable. Apparently not everyone seems to have a copy with the odor. Count yourself lucky if you don't. My family runs away when I suggest a play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good lord. Every time I get the urge to work on designing my own board game, I read 10 threads like this about all the bizarre things that can go wrong during the manufacturing process. : /

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Irving
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
Re: Smell? Possible solution!
I bought this game for my daughter who loves elephants, and the sulfur smell was so strong I left the game open in the garage for 2 months to air out. All that did was smell up my garage! Finally I tried the solution invented by Paul Krebaum to deodorize skunk smell (http://home.earthlink.net/~skunkremedy/home/sk00001.htm). It appears to have worked, and the smell is barely noticeable now.

Here's the recipe: 1 quart of (freshly bought) 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and 1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap. I cut the recipe in half and soaked the pieces for 15 minutes or so. I assume a repeat treatment would reduce the smell even further, but I didn't try it.

Hope this helps someone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Shoot
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Finally opened my copy and played it. The pieces do smell, but it's certainly not enough to smell up a whole garage! And, btw, many comment (including my wife) on how sensitive my nose is. It's been even been called a "dog nose"!cool

Perhaps there are different batches where the smell is not as strong, or it's one of those smells that not everyone can detect???

Skunk would be a pretty close description though... shake So I will try this easy-to-make home remedy... Thanks!!

But I figured that's why I was able to buy it so cheaply on Tanga!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Baney
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect it is simply the material used in creating the pieces. I love Noodler's fountain pens, but they arrive smelling pretty strongly! It has to do with the type of material used in manufacture. In the pens, it is the vegetal resin that is used in the plastic that is the culprit. It may have to do with creating a more flexible plastic, as opposed to a hard brittle plastic. Many describe the smell as "sulfurous". The smell does dissipate, but does not seem to ever go away completely. It is only if I put the pens or the playing pieces up to my nose that I smell them. I suspect the offensive odor coming from the pieces is less likely to fade away that those of the pens, simply for the sake that the pens are out in the air and used on a regular basis, unlike the playing pieces which sit in the box more often than not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.