Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
{copied from the original purplepawn.com write up http://www.purplepawn.com/2012/03/second-look-gunship-first-...}

Recently I had the pleasure of playing a beta copy of Gunship: First Strike from Escape Pod Games. You may recognize the name from our interview we did with Steve about the 20 year process it took him to create his space combat game. Currently on Kickstarter, Gunship has been very well received by the community and is sitting at 650% overfunding on its goal.

So what is Gunship: First Strike all about?
It’s a spaceship battle game where each team (up to 2 per team with the new Kickstarter overfunding goals), duke it out trying to destroy each others carrier and be claimed the victor. Squadrons of fighters and capital ship bombardment add support to your mainstay attack vessel-the Gunship. Players are heavily encouraged to customize the weapons and defenses of their own gunships while battling across the civil-war torn stars. Ion guns, blasters, heavy torpedoes and thruster bombs are the weapons that come in the basic set, but due to the success of the campaign, EPG has released a plethora of upgrades that you can add into the game for new tactics and bigger explosions.

Gametime is listed as 45-60 minutes, (add another 30 mins on top for your first play) but once you get the hang of it, you can get through an entire play in about half an hour. The manual is very thin but jam-packed with information to give a very good grounding of the game. I would suggest putting a little time aside to go through it before playing your first game. But once you get into the swing you will be laughing as you smack the dice around the table, saying “pew pew pew!”, as you imagine your gunship dodging past the carriers defence cannons on its attack run.

It is not a scratch-your-chin-and-go-”hmm” type of game what so ever. In fact, each turn as you draw your hand back up to 5 cards you will see that every card is either ammo to fire into your opponent, repair cards to patch your holes, or cards to make your guns shoot better. Long-play euro fans may come up short on this title but with everyone that I have played this game with so far, we either laughed or scowled as one of us tried to blow flaming chunks out of the other. The most memorable moment came from when I was watching two of my friends play; one had defeated the other, but the game allows the loser one full turn to even the score upon defeat. He took in a deep breath, charged forward, took severe damage from the defence cannons and rolled two fives and a six, destroying the other players carrier and ending the game in a tie on the last dice throw. That was one shot in a million kid.

This is a fun game that doesn’t pretend to be anything other than a no-messin’, straight up, space combat game. But don’t get me wrong; with the advanced rules (downloadable for free from the EPG website), and some clever thinking around combat zones and fighter movement, there is ample chance to get your strategy head on.

So in conclusion…
Gunship offers a fast pace, impressive production values, dice, cards and an all round explosive payload. With the current stretch rewards, backers are getting a pretty decent bang for their buck, and if you want to add an exciting space combat game to your collection, Gunship is recommended – Pew pew pew!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David West
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Just to add a little to this exceedingly well-written preview

Once you get the hang of the core mechanics it really does become quite a well-paced frenetic game. Rather apt for the theme of the game. There is a really good amount of flexibility to the tactics also (I like Ion Cannons!).

As mentioned by Cogentesque, the final turn for the loser to salvage a draw is a great idea. Even as someone who is a pathalogically poor loser I have to admit seeing my win slip away the way it did was pretty cool.

The only thing that will be annoying for you is if your opponent is incapable of missing ever like mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Schulteis
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is board warping as big of a problem as it looks in the picture?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Designer - AstroMiner & TactDecks: Reign of Heroes
mbmbmbmbmb
thechairman wrote:

My understanding is that the select review copies Steve sent out were done via POD, so these would not be representative of the actual print run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
thechairman wrote:

Remember that this was entirely a print on demand beta copy that Steve kindly printed out for us (some of it is even hand made!).

If you check out the kickstarter page, once the game gets printed, it will use some very very high quality stock and card - so much so that Steve is actually having a few problems in trying to keep the shipping under a certain weight limit due to the high weight of all the high-end boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.