Subject: Is this game really that bad? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the English rules translation on BGG & while it might not be the best game, is Titania really that bad? There are a couple of things I quite like the look of in the rules, it's designed by Rudiger Dorn & a HiG production. Yet the rating is not that good & virtually no forums posts or reviews, etc.

What has gone wrong here ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
I've read the English rules translation on BGG & while it might not be the best game, is Titania really that bad? There are a couple of things I quite like the look of in the rules, it's designed by Rudiger Dorn & a HiG production. Yet the rating is not that good & virtually no forums posts or reviews, etc.

What has gone wrong here ?

I've wondered the same thing. I really wish I could try it for myself, but no one owns it and it's not in stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also wondering the same thing. I heard a rumour that RGG is going to be publishing it and soon, but since they no longer update their plans with the community, who knows if that's actually going to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite tactical. Also a healthy dose of the results depend on luck - the central tiles are randomly distributed face-down. But I don't think it's bad - it's a nice family game, I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you, though wouldn't say it's thaaat tactical, but a bit.

As you say, a nice family game and very well suited for beginners. If you don't expect too much, you'll have some fun playing this game in about an hour or probably somewhat more if this is your first try for this one.
No must-have, but nice-to-have.

Ferdi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I don't understand is the lack of interest in this game. It's a 4-year-old Rüdiger Dorn game published by Hans im Glück, yet it has only 250 ratings and 62 comments...

Comparable titles published later than this by Hans im Glück:
Pantheon (2011) 1126 ratings, 297 comments
Santa Cruz (2012) 630 ratings, 172 comments
Bruges (2013, Stefan Feld) - 3135 ratings, 759 comments (okay, it got a SdJ nomination)
Helios (released this year!!!) - 411 ratings, 102 comments

Other Rüdiger Dorn big box game not winning SdJ:
Il Vecchio (2012) 703 ratings, 196 comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, problem is there are so many (too many) other god, and - sigh - better games around, that you must have a special hang for this game (topic, graphics or whatever) to pay it more attention than just storing it in your shelf ...

Well stored regards,
Ferdi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.