Battles of Westeros: Lords of the River» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A lion's lessons - Deep in the Den of Lions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I thought this one was slightly in favor of Lannister.

Stark started by having his longbow men fire some volleys, and i was afraid cause
of the pure amount of dice he rolled, but his attacks did exactly nothing. My red
cavalry rushed into his lines soon enough and started to decimate his ranged units.
Rickard and his fellow riders joined the battle on the west flank, and some Tullys
crossed the river. My heavy cavalry engaged some Starks to prevent them from
flanking my own cavalry, and Kevan assisted my archers on the tower in killing an
entire blue cav unit.

Starks unit cleared away one of my cavalry, but Adam and the other red went into
a double-pursue killing spree and got rid of two longbow men units and put Edmure
to reduced strength. Riverborn riders joined the fighting but did little against my heavy
foot, and the tower-archers still rolled quite fine and picked out trout after trout.

Stark was way behind in victory points by then. Jaime used his commit ability to
reactivate and move twice, finally reaching battle grounds. The two blue warhost
of the north stayed at their starting position the entire time, just like my two
lannisport guards did. The remaining Tully ranged missed again, and an attempt to
capture lone Adam failed. My red heavy infantry got killed, but their brothers still
stood in full strength. I managed to capture Edmure, and one round later both
Rickard and Brynden, leaving Stark with quite few command options.

The last two and a half rounds gained me the third objective and left me one kill
short of a morale-rout-win. This victory was overwhelming, with 13 to 3 victory
points and all three Stark commanders captured. I guess Stark had kind of a bad
start in missing with round about 5 ranged 4-dice-attacks. Also, i get to like heavy
infantry more and more (and he really hates them), as they often can be used to
engage someone without second thoughts about getting flanked, limiting enemies
moving and fighting options. The scenario seems a little more unbalanced to me as
it did before, but i would still love to see how this ends when played a second time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report, as always. What are the victory conditions on this one?

Also, how are you guys feeling about the first non-Wardens expansion overall? I'm still deciding whether or not I need it.

I did just recently pick up Tribes of the Vale and was impressed by the diversity and seeming quality of the 3 scenarios. Also, all my figures came pristine, no bent swords or other component issues.

Red heavy infantry seems like overkill. I assume that the archers can hit them on valor results, even though archers don't normally hit on valor?

Looking very much forward to the next report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are welcome
Win condition is victory points for kills and one for each objective at end of game. I really did like the expansion, though Chris migth be sad that his new archers never got to use a tower and kind of underperformed.

Tribes of the vale will be the next to play, i even got all the minis painted for the next scenario, first time to play in full color for me. (And Shagga will smash em all ) I really like all the scenarios and diversity of units.

Note that red heavy infantry does get hit on red, but never on valor. So against archers there is no difference between blue and red rank heavy infantry. But they kind of trouble oncoming cavalry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, right, red heavy armor Units ignore Valor results. I had forgotten. It's been too long since I last played.

Congrats on getting the Tribes figures ready for the scenario. Maybe you can do a little turn by turn visual reference with the camera. *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played, i did take some pictures
As i did in scenario 19, have a look at my report
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just gave this scenario a spin in a solo session. I really wanted to try out the Tully´s and also judge if this was a good first scenario for my Lannister wife.

I think the trick to the Stark side is to use the momentum to move the Longbowmen back and attempt to get into a triangle where they all support each others volley ability. The Red cav is dangerous but you can waste a round for them (or force them to rally and split up). No other Lannister unit poses an early threat so it seems better to sacrifice a few dice or attacks to get too safety (with their long range they dont need to be all that close to the action). Also the Stark host needs to be moved towards the archers to support and cover them.

Using Edmure´s commit ability (while all 3 bow units are alive) also really extends their usefulness. While the lannisters have really tough ground units, the archers can help break up their stalwart formations and inflict casulties in the worst places (due to line of sight ignorning).

My scenario ended with only one bow unit being reduced in str (missing 2 figures) and one scratched (missing 1 figure). Lannisters lost due to collapsed morale on turn 4 after heavy fighting (and dishing out plenty of damage themselves). The bowmen where essential to finishing off weak units and Edmure using his commit ability works like a one hex artillery strike (it can wipe out a healthy unit with luck).

Edit: After looks over the bowmen again I realize that a line of them works the same as a triangle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Wolf wrote:
I think the trick to the Stark side is to use the momentum to move the Longbowmen back and attempt to get into a triangle where they all support each others volley ability. The Red cav is dangerous but you can waste a round for them (or force them to rally and split up). No other Lannister unit poses an early threat so it seems better to sacrifice a few dice or attacks to get too safety (with their long range they dont need to be all that close to the action). Also the Stark host needs to be moved towards the archers to support and cover them.

In our last game, we replayed this scenario, and I tried (more or less) this strategy (again). I lost (again). Not as decisively as the first time we played this, but still.
I would really like to see photos of your setup after round 1. My archers (well, the surviving ones) had trouble finding good targets, Indirect Fire notwithstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not take pictures of the battle unfortunatly, but I remember the general events.

The archers moved into a triangle with the southern one placed near the town hex. Then I had the Lannisters try to break this tactic early, using Rally on 2 red cav. The cav had pretty bad luck, damaged but didnt take down any archer formations and went down later due to Edmure attacking supporting by the archers that where not enganged. I belive Stark blue cav followed by Kerstark) also rushed down there. How the red cav died I am not a 100% sure on, but I know they could have done alot better with some luck.

The Lannisters (having used rally) where not able to bring Addam up there to support the 2 red cav at the start.

Edmure (on the flank) and the Stark host (the none tully part) where able to spot for the archers once they where safe. The Tully cav arrived late, so in the end almost all casulties had been Starks (who formed a battle line) rather then Tully´s or their bannermen.

With better luck on the red cav (expecially if they had been able to pursue more archers), the archers would not have done so well. I still figure that starting with the archers and moving them away is the best the Starks can make of the situation (if the Lannisters dont risk a rally charge, then there is more safe distance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.