Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
First of my Herald designs for my Elder Sign: Abominations project.

Bokrug Herald sheet

Being of Ib Abomination markers

The design is modelled after the Ancient One Bokrug from Arkham Horror and introduces the Herald and 4 Being of Ib Abomination markers to the game. They need to be defeated before the Ancient One awakens otherwise they each add a further three Doom tokens to the Doom track.

The main function is that now Investigators can't really afford to spend Trophies to purchase Elder Signs, they need them to defeat the Abomination markers. Each Being of Ib task requires 3 x 3 Trophies, which means an Investigator needs somewhere between 9 and 12 Trophies to complete the task. The reason you might need more than 9 Trophies is because the Task doesn't require 9 trophies, it requires 3 lots of 3 Trophies, if you have only collect trophies worth 2 then you will need to overspend on each of the three requirements. Ideally you should have at least 3 single value Trophies so you don't overspend (paying for each Task requirement with a 1 value Trophy and an 2 value Trophy). This gives a nice change to the game where single value trophies might receive a priority to be completed.

When I designed the Herald, I wanted an alternative to the simple "you are not allowed to purchase Elder Signs" variants. The Being of Ib Abominations now give a challenge and applies pressure to the players to collect enough trophies before the Ancient One awakens. Collecting in the region of 36 to 40 trophies is difficult and very often you might be forced to allow 1 or 2 Abomination to remain resulting in an additional 3 or 6 Doom tokens during the Final Battle.

The Herald works using the standard end condition or the alternate end condition (where the Ancient One automatically wins when the Doom track is full). Either way, you need to try and defeat as many of the Abominations before the Ancient One awakens,

Also note that Abominations are not Monsters so Abomination markers are immune to game effects that apply to Monster markers (such as Bind Monster, Flute of the Other Gods and Kate Winthrop's Science).

I also wanted a mechanism in introduce Other World Adventure cards into play so I included the At Midnight effect for Bokrug. This gives an advantage to the Investigators as there will now always be at least one Other World Adventure in play after Midnight. Note that it only applies if there are no Other World Adventure card in play so it doesn't automatically add a new card every time.

With the initial design of Bokrug you had to be on an Other World Adventure to complete a Being of Ib task but that introduced some problems (especially if it happened that R'lyeh turned up early). In certain circumstances it become impractical to even attempt the Other World card so the game got stuck. I removed that limitation and now allow Being of Ib tasks to be attempted from any Adventure card as long as there was at least one Other World Adventure card in play. This works much better and fixed the original problem.

EDIT: The PDF file is now available in the Files section.

Links to Files

Elder Sign: Abominations - Game Expansion

Contents of files
Chapter 1, Part 1 - Abominations Mythos Deck (36 cards)
Chapter 1, Part 2 - Extension to the Abominations Mythos Deck (18 cards)
Chapter 2, Part 1 - Guardian, Nodens (1 Guardian and 8 cards)
Chapter 3, Part 1 - Herald, Bokrug (1 Herald and 4 Abominations markers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.