Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
Due to the recent destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina, BoardGameGeek is selling GeekGold to help support the Red Cross in their efforts to provide aid and relief to the victims of the storm.

We're selling 1 GeekGold for $1.00 USD and we'll donate the proceeds to the American Red Cross Hurricane 2005 Relief Fund.

Click here for more payment details:
www.boardgamegeek.com/disasterfundraiser.php

Update:
If someone wants to make a sizable donation and wants to deduct it from their taxes, you should donate directly to a charity. Send me a copy of the receipt and I'll gift you the geekgold

Update 2: We've hit 10k... awesome. I also just added a graph so you can see the buildup.
www.boardgamegeek.com/katrinagraph.php

Update 3: In addition to the GeekGold you also get a red cross icon on your profile.

Update 4: The red crosses have been removed due to a number of issues. I'll come up with something else ASAP.

Update 5: The fundraiser will end on Friday 9/9/2005.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: GeekGold for Katrina Relief
GOOD! maybe now I can 'get some', since "approvals" of Games Submissions doesn't 'seem' to be 'working'!
angry

P.S.-is there a valid email address that WE could 'contribute' this at? the insipid "PayPal"(what an 'oxymoron') don't want to 'work' as well, are THEY 'approving' Games Submissions for you folks, on the side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee, what a good idea - great minds, and all that ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Aldie. I've been 7 geekgold away from my avatar for ages. I've also been thinking about donating to the hurricane relief fund. The combination was enough to motivate me to get my wallet.

I dunno how many of you were personally affected by this disaster. My wife's grandmother just pulled out of New Orleans today.

And I upped my supporter to '05 while I was at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Martin
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This above all: To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely fantastic idea. I was planning on donating as it is, and it's great to do so with my fellow geeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
GROGnads wrote:

P.S.-is there a valid email address that WE could 'contribute' this at? the insipid "PayPal"(what an 'oxymoron') don't want to 'work' as well, are THEY 'approving' Games Submissions for you folks, on the side?

I updated the page with my mailing address where you can send a check if the PayPal doesn't work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven alexander
United States
portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutley BOSS idea, Aldie!! It feels great to contribute and that running total at the top of the front page is nice to see. (plus I got my Avatar! It's like they say, to get you have to give)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is an excellent idea.

It's pretty horrible out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for setting this up. I'll be mailing something tomorrow. I guess donating to the Red Cross helps, but I wish there were other/better ways of helping the victims (short of inviting them to live with me). At the risk of slipping into politics, I can't help but think that with all the compromises we've made on infrastructure and social programs over the last 30 years or so, all those expensive military toys don't really amount to much in light of this (worsening??) disaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
Knock Knock!
badge
Who's There?
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup It's also a short term solution to the new-ways-to-get-GG dilemma--win win.

Btw, what charities will you be supporting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Übergeekbadge, Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awesome idea Aldie. It's nice to see that our huge community and love of board games will actually help out people in need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falafel Palmer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I guess donating to the Red Cross helps, but I wish there were other/better ways of helping the victims (short of inviting them to live with me)

Funny you should mention this, i'm not sure where you live personally Mark, but they are looking for people to share their housing if you live in about 300 miles of the disaster area. go to
http://www.hurricanehousing.org for more information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. I already gave, but what the heck, here's a few more bucks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to donate somewhere any way. Might as well be through BGG. Way to go Aldie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
GOOD! maybe now I can 'get some', since "approvals" of Games Submissions doesn't 'seem' to be 'working'!
angry

Are you really this bitter, Grog, or are you just keeping with your online persona?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFalafelGirl wrote:
Quote:
I guess donating to the Red Cross helps, but I wish there were other/better ways of helping the victims (short of inviting them to live with me)

Funny you should mention this, i'm not sure where you live personally Mark, but they are looking for people to share their housing if you live in about 300 miles of the disaster area. go to
http://www.hurricanehousing.org for more information.

Northern Michigan; it's probably 800-1,000 miles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Well, a little of BOTH! It is quite frustrating when I can't even get a simple 'donation' made using "PayPal" and their infuriating 'manner' to go about doing that. I've tried the email route and they keep informing me that it isn't a 'valid' one! Oh, but they will gladly take my 'Bank Account' info with a direct LINK to 'that', for which I don't think so! I don't trust them online transactions with such '411', since they have a nasty 'habit' of getting hacked or outright selling off of this. Then there are those 'drolls' who just seem to NOT have anything better to 'do' but be a "negative ninny"~yeah YOU "elmonty", so they tend to get my 'dander UP'! So what'd you expect?
surprise

P.S.-I've tried every method that I can think of to obtain 'payment' to the "Relief Fund" from that "P.P" site, with NO results to show thus far. I even tried to send this through another fellow GEEK "tolendante", and ALL that I 'get' is the same B.S. 'requests' from them. WHAT is their problem? The money's there, yet they WANT me to provide a 'card', STILL!?!?! If I ever meet anyone associated with 'them', they won't live out a 'normal' LIFE anymore!
angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this. Let's hope all of our funds can do some good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wagner
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
How long will this be going on? I'd love to donate, but can't until I find a new job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steef Jacobson
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great idea Aldie, glad to help. I put a message on my Boardgame Meetup board and hope to pass it forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic idea. I hope this generates a lot of donations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasen Robillard
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll toss in a few coins...5db1db

Aldie, any chance we could have a rolling tally either in this thread or on the front page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmb
Super idea. thumbsup

This is a reminder to me how lucky I am and not to forget others who aren't so lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
Baldboy_1 wrote:
I'll toss in a few coins...5db1db

Aldie, any chance we could have a rolling tally either in this thread or on the front page?5db1db

Check out the top of the front page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.