Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Casinghino
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The PAX East website is pretty good, but there isn't a section describing just the board-game-related events/tourneys/vendors/etc, so I thought I'd put one together. Not all the info is available yet, so I'll update this post as more comes out. Let me know if I missed anything, got a link wrong, or you want to advertise/organize something bgg-friendly, and I'll update. Discuss below.

BGG meetup

There is some discussion in this thread. Looks like we will meet up from 2pm-6pm Saturday in the board game area. Should be fun! We can figure out a way to identify ourselves once they release the boardgaming floor plan.

PAX East Math Trade

This has been cancelled due to the BGG outage and a resulting lack of interest

killjoy00 has very kindly organized this. See the details here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/139870/pax-east-2012-no-sh...

Open gaming

Details for this year haven't been announced. Here's how it worked last year: There was a giant space with 100-200 tables near the main convention floor for open gaming. There were also some really neat terrain tables for the minatures folks. The library had loads of titles ranging from casual to hardcore. You could check out a game by leaving your id/credit card/firstborn with the nice people at the booth, to be retrieved when you brought the game back. For coordinating with strangers, they had a giant projector screen showing a twitter hashtag feed you could post to. It was very friendly and fun!

Board game programming

- GeekNights Boardgame Workshop, Friday, 6-8pm, Tabletop area

Agricola and Carcassonne will be taught, along with strategy.

- Going Cardboard: A Board Game Documentary, Friday, 10pm-12:30am, Arachnid Theatre

The movie will be screened and Lorien Green (the creator) will answer questions.

- Legend of the Cipher: the Game of Hip Hop, Saturday, 12-1pm, Tabletop area

Legend of the Cipher will be demoed. Exclusive cards and swag promised.

- Wizard of the Coast - Magic: The Gathering Panel, Saturday, 4:30-5:30pm, Wyvern Theatre

The design team will answer questions, preview the next expansion, and give away swag.

- Paint the Line TCG: Making the Game, Saturday, 5-6pm, Merman Theatre

The design team will discuss the creation of Paint the Line. Why did they schedule this against the Magic panel? Your guess is as good as mine.

- Trading Card Games: Delivering the Digital Promise, Sunday, 3:30-4:30pm, Merman Theatre

A panel on the business models for moving TCGs online.

- Strategy Games: What’s Changing. What Needs To., Sunday, 4:30-5:30pm, Cat Theatre

Mostly about strategy video games, but panel includes Rob Daviau (Hasbro, Heroscape, Risk Legacy).

Board game tournaments

The tournaments have been scheduled. Fugazi2112 has helpfully provided some details about the format in this comment below. League Blocks A, B and C will involve tournaments for several games over all three days of PAX. You can participate in the first round of each tournament during Session 1 on Friday or Session 2 on Saturday, or both. Then the finals will be held Sunday. No word on prizes for these or the other tournaments, yet.

- League Block A

Dominion, Carcassone, Puerto Rico, Innovation.

Session 1: Friday 12-4pm. Session 2: Saturday 8pm-12am. Finals: Sunday at 10:30am.

- League Block B

Ticket to Ride, Race for the Galaxy, Penny Arcade: The Game, Gloom.

Session 1: Friday 4-8pm. Session 2: Saturday 12-4pm. Finals: Sunday at 1pm

- League Block C, Friday, 8pm-12am

Quarriors, Smallworld, 7 Wonders, Ascension.

Session 1: Friday 8pm-12am. Session 2: Saturday 4-8pm. Finals: Sunday at 3:30pm.

- Puzzle Strike, Friday, 12-4pm

- Munchkin Munchcathalon, Friday, 1-6pm

- Friday Night Fight Club (Featuring YOMI), Friday, 5:30-10pm

- Dominion, Saturday, 12-4pm

- Fealty, Saturday, 6pm

This one accidentally left off the schedule, details to come.

- Dark Age, Saturday, 7pm-12am

- Saturday Night Showdown, 7pm-12am

- Ascension, Sunday, 12-3pm

- Munchkin, Sunday, 3-6pm

Miniature wargames tournaments

The minis tournaments have been scheduled and are accepting preregistration. See this thread at the PAX forums for format and preregistration details. There are three events:

- Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Friday, 10am

- Warhammer/Hordes Steamroller, Saturday, 11am-12pm

- Warhammer 40k Grand Tournament, Saturday, 12-4pm

Board game publishers

A few of the bigger companies (WotC) will have big booths in the main expo area, but a bunch of other publishers will have booths in the table top area. We don't have a complete list of locations yet, but here's what we know:

- Asmadi Games

Demoing Fealty and showing the new Innovation expansion prototype (Figures in the Sand)

- Indie Boards and Cards

Foam Brain Games will be demoing The Resistance and Flash Point:Fire Rescue. This will also be the premier of the anime-themed promo cards for The Resistance.

- Plaid Hat Games

- Steve Jackson Games

- Days of Wonder

- Fantasy Flight Games

- Days of Wonder

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Oh hello.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would note that there is a Fealty tournament at 6PM Saturday, with board game gift certificate prizes!

It was omitted from the schedule accidentally, just talked to the tourney director.

Also, Asmadi Games will be there, demoing Fealty, and showing the prototype for Innovation: Figures in the Sand. And of course Win, Lose or Banana and our other games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Portney
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

Thank you for putting this list together. I'm not the PAX East Tabletop tourney director, (sadly, I won't be attending), but I was for PAX Prime 2011 in August, and I worked with the guy who is for PAX East as he was setting up the events -- so, I have some info:

At PAX Prime 2011, we ran the Dominion tournament using a League format -- Six Dominion stations were set up (one for the base game and each expansion out at that time). Players had to log a play of each variant. The highest ranking players recording all six plays over the course of the weekend went on to a Finals on Sunday. This format was EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL, so we decided to expand it to other games for PAX East. The following is not the official word -- this is my understanding from the last time I spoke with PAX East's tourney director, but it's subject to change.

PAX East 2012 League Events:

League A/B/C refers to repeating blocks of games that will occur throughout the weekend - two open timeslots, and then a finals on Sunday.

For instance, League Block A has two open timeslots (Friday 12pm-4pm, and Saturday 8pm-12am.) The games you play during these timeslots serve as qualifiers for the Finals on Sunday, where X number of people will be notified that they made the cut for Sunday. (I'm sorry, I do not know how many people X has been decided to be)

During these blocks, four different League Tournament games will be available to you: (in the case of League Block A, Dominion, Carcassone, Puerto Rico, and Innovation). You can participate in one of them or all of them, during the same time block. Anyone who signs up can go to *either* or *both* of the Friday or Saturday timeslots - giving you the most chance to find enough opponents to complete your necessary game plays.

Each game will have specific tournament rules. For Dominion, there will probably be a set number of pre-defined specific Kingdom Card configurations (e.g. 4 to 6 sets). Everyone playing in the Dominion League will have the Friday time block and the Saturday time block to record a play of each of the available Kingdom card sets. Once you have logged a play with each set, you're done with the open timeslot qualifiers for that game. Still have time left in that League timeslot, or there's not enough players at that moment to play the variant you need? Sign up for Carcassone and play that in between round of Dominion!

During the Open League Block sessions, signups do not close - so if you're not there when the Block begins, you're not locked out of that game's League.

For Innovation - you might need to (for example) log 2 plays of base Innovation, and 2 plays of Innovation with Echoes of the Past.

For Carcassone, you may be playing 4 or 5 games, one using the base game with the River, one using the Wheel of Fortune, one being New World, and so on. Rules for the specific variants/scenarios will be available on-site.

Each other League Block will have similar sets of variations of the same game (e.g. RFTG base, RFTG base + Gathering Storm, RFTG + GS + Rebel vs. Imperium, or for Ticket to Ride: USA, Europe, India, etc.) - and you'll log a play of each variation. And you'll have two time windows to log your plays - one on Friday, one on Saturday - with the top players making it to the Finals block on Sunday.

The League Block times rotate, to allow people who might attend panels during the day to play in the block at night, or those who attend the concerts to play during the day.

Saturday Night Showdown:

This is a more casual no-experience necessary tournament, where you won't know what game you're about to play until the tournament organizer pulls the boxes out and puts them on the table in front of you. (e.g., Surprise! You're playing Dixit! Surprise, you're playing Lunch Money!). All I can say about it -- if you play in the Showdown, you'll have a great time!

Eric,
a.k.a. Lackey, PAX Enforcer and 2011 PAX Prime Tournament Organizer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Colton
United States
Lancaster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any interest in a no ship Math Trade for PAX East 2012? I am not sure I have enough experience to start one myself, but I would definitely participate if someone else started one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Casinghino
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaGreenMachine wrote:
Is there any interest in a no ship Math Trade for PAX East 2012? I am not sure I have enough experience to start one myself, but I would definitely particiyipate if someone else started one.

I'd also participate but don't have time to organize

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd participate too, but it's less than 2 weeks away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hall
msg tools
I'm very excited for PAX, want to enter the Dominion tournament. My only question is where do I sign up? (I'm assuming at the event, but where on the floor?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Casinghino
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsh357 wrote:
I'm very excited for PAX, want to enter the Dominion tournament. My only question is where do I sign up? (I'm assuming at the event, but where on the floor?)

We don't have much official info on the tourneys yet, but expect the signups to be near the boardgame library in the tabletop area (which is between the food court and the main expo floor on level 0).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Portney
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsh357 wrote:

There will be signup instructions in the Tabletop HQ - the same room as the Lending Library. Often, signups for tournaments are made available the evening before an event. So if Dominion is Saturday, swing by TT HQ Friday evening at around 6 or 7. If the signup sheet isn't there for you to add your name to, the Enforcers running the checkout library will have instructions for when and where you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ccasin wrote:
DaGreenMachine wrote:
Is there any interest in a no ship Math Trade for PAX East 2012? I am not sure I have enough experience to start one myself, but I would definitely particiyipate if someone else started one.

I have run no-ships for New York, and I'll be at PAX east. I could run one if there was enough interest, but it'd have to close by Tues or Wed. Would that work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Colton
United States
Lancaster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killjoy00 wrote:
ccasin wrote:
DaGreenMachine wrote:

I have run no-ships for New York, and I'll be at PAX east. I could run one if there was enough interest, but it'd have to close by Tues or Wed. Would that work?

Works for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this sound?

Let me know if you have any suggested changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Casinghino
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killjoy00 wrote:
How does this sound?

Let me know if you have any suggested changes.

Cool! Thanks for doing this. I don't have a ton of good stuff for trade right now, but I'll list what I've got!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Foam brain games will be running demo tables for Indie Boards and Cards, featuring The Resistance and Flash Point: Fire Rescue.

PAX east will be the premiere of the Anime promo deck for The Resistance, more details can be found on the images:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1278265/the-resistance
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1278272/the-resistance
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1278276/the-resistance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Casinghino
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:

PAX east will be the premiere of the Anime promo deck for The Resistance,

Cool! I am a big fan of The Resistance, so I'll definitely stop by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loter
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing board games for WotC most of the weekend, so you can add in lots of the D&D Adventure games as well as Nerath and Lords of Waterdeep learn-to-plays and all that. Same area as all the regular D&D stuff, and I believe the same area as last year.

Also, Zev will be there with a dealer booth, same as last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Karstens
United States
Nevada
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Dragon Valley will be represented at the Game Salute booth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Days of Wonder and SJ Games are both partnering with the Compleat Strategist again. DoW is hosting demo tables near the Strat booth while SJG will have their own booth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex L
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Loter wrote:
I'm doing board games for WotC most of the weekend, so you can add in lots of the D&D Adventure games as well as Nerath and Lords of Waterdeep learn-to-plays and all that. Same area as all the regular D&D stuff, and I believe the same area as last year.

Also, Zev will be there with a dealer booth, same as last year.

Oh heck yes, I can't wait to try lords of waterdeep!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blanchard
United States
Lawrenceville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The League Block B games have actually been revealed, but they screwed up and didn't list them for session 1 (but they're there for session 2). They're going to be:

Ticket to Ride, Race for the Galaxy, Penny Arcade: The Game, and Gloom

Thanks for keeping track of all this info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent recap thanks for putting it all in one place. So many games to try out!

If anyone is looking for a game during the weekend I will be there Sat/Sun.

Just tweet @SagesOfRPG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this. I'm going this year (for as long as I can handle the crowds), so am thankful for a collection of board game-related things.

I do plan on hanging out in the tabletop area most of the time. My twitter is @snicholson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Casinghino
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
Thanks for this. I'm going this year (for as long as I can handle the crowds), so am thankful for a collection of board game-related things.

I do plan on hanging out in the tabletop area most of the time. My twitter is @snicholson

Cool! I'm a big fan of OBG. Look forward to running into you - maybe we can get in a game at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex L
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I should throw my twitter handle out too feel free to DM me if you'll looking for the meetup @h3wh0s33ks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Cummings
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be there covering the con for BGG and iOS Board Games.

My twitter account is: @iosboardgames

I have set up some meetings but would love to meet with as many BGGers, publishers and designers as possible. If you would like to meet with me, can you send me a geekmail?

Thank you,
Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.