2 Posts

World of Warcraft: The Boardgame – Shadow of War» Forums » General

Subject: PvP Focus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mbmbmb
I have read a review that says many of the cards in this expansion are "PvP-Focused".

Would anybody like to comment on whether these cards have a use against non-pvp opponents?

And roughly how many of the expansion cards are designed with PvP in mind (as a rough proportion)?

The reason i ask is that i will be playing this game solo, and wondered whether this expansion was worth it. I am tempted to say that it is, just because of the blue quest cards and loads more items. but just thought i'd ask the experts before pushing the buy button.

Many Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Mainly the blue quest cards and additional items are what makes the expansion worth it. The "PvP" elements the expansion adds are occasional events that cause a "bounty" to be put on someone's head in each faction. I think these are usually gold only rewards.

There are also "wars" that grant rewards to the faction that ends their turn with players in each of the areas containing the war tokens. These are more of a rubber-banding effect, because the stronger faction's reward is much lower. Preventing the weaker faction from completing the war is usually not a good idea either, because the turns used to fight the players and recover from the battle could have been used to get that next level and be that much closer to the overlord.

The new items are rewarded primarily from completing Blue quests. I think there are some events that also allow you to draw these items. The weapons and armor have stats that might make them useful, but their special abilities are typically drain mana, remove dice pool, add stun tokens, etc. that aren't (as) applicable to NPCs. These items are also treated similar to a crafting bag in the PC game. They don't count towards the 5 items you can carry, but you can only carry 7 of them.

The blue quests aren't incentives to fight blue creatures, but rather compensation for having to fight the blue creatures. Typical rewards are 1 exp, 2 gold, 1 of the new items, choice of 2 blue items. Of course, the reward is proportional to the strength of the creature, but the top end is still pretty low compared to fighting the same green creature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.