Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Schlickbernd
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit in: I'll be kind and remove the original response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Schlickbernd
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joshsmith80 wrote:
This has got me thinking has anyone actually tinkered with the idea of playing this without dice? Say you can play each person for a roll of say 3or 4 each time? Or if you take the card that allows you to roll 4 dice. If you chose a 6 then the next person gets a 5 and so on. I would probably like this game then. Actually it would be one of my favourites...

There's the card play way - you have a set of cards 1 through 6, and have to play them all before you get them back again instead of actual dice rolls, which would force average "rolls" but leave you to work it out. I hate analysis paralysis myself and wouldn't recommend it (I can see people freezing up for ten minutes trying to work it out). There are (or were, at least 20 years ago or so) "averaging" dice used in miniatures games (WRG Anients!), numbered 2-3-3-4-4-5 rather than 1-6, which narrows the variation, though you'd still have to use a normal die for the card rewards roll. But honestly, I think the "tools" adds the dimension players need to mitigate important rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Schlickbernd
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joshsmith80 wrote:

I stand corrected your gaming collection is huge!!! How come you think the starvation strategy is viable? You seem a constant gamer and I apologise for any offence I may have caused...blush

Cease fire? Okay.

Back to an intelligent conversation then!

One: my current game collection is actually rather small - it tends to be games I want available for tournaments. I have access to several hundred though, and have sold a staggering amount of games over the decades. I go back in wargames to Avalon Hill's Gettysburg (the only other wargame they had at the time was Tactics II), though Diplomacy (published not one but two zines - check out the listing in Wikipedia for Slobbovia), miniatures, RPGs (still have my first edition brown box D&D), and started with Euro games with Die Macher in 1987 give or take a year (it's documented somewhere on the Internet).

Starvation strategy is viable - but I don't think it is easy. I'll start taking the Love Shack just to deny the Starvation Strategy player, for example, even when I normally might not. But if someone, say, starts third and gets the Love Shack three times in a row at the start of the game (in a four player game), watch out. You start sucking up massive amounts of goods, buy hut and population multipliers at almost any cost (and here is where the luck comes in - the order may work against you on acquiring these more than the dice rolls), and buy actual huts. You can combine it possibly with the drill strategy. The drill strategy is to select one hut pile, and buy from it virtually every time (drill a hole in the stack, so to speak), forcing a fast end to the game before card collectors can optimize and get maximum value. The idea with the starvation strategy is to reach a critical mass where you getting so many points from cards and huts that you are gaining more points than anyone else is even considering that you are losing ten points a turn. Sometimes it takes a while to reach that point, and you have a lot of points to make up. But like I've said, I've seen it done extremely successfully, I just don't think it works often enough. The drill can catch people off-guard if they aren't paying attention, and you may have to abandon a card-heavy strategy and adapt to it. I've used it myself when people were just going berserk on getting cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Schlickbernd
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joshsmith80 wrote:
LOL. I won my first game via the drill strategy. The people playing had never seen the game end that way before. I ended it and lapped everyone. I also chose to love shack instead of farm. So there you have it. I knew the game on my first play...

There really is not that much to this game...

Are you a fan of M&M?

Dunno what M&M you are referring to.

As to the rest: the basic scenario you outlined above is counter to all your claims. You won by skill, not luck, the better player won, the other players did not perceive the opportunity or how to counter it (depth of play). I'd say it is more a game of situational awareness rather than depth of strategy, but that still requires good play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Schlickbernd
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joshsmith80 wrote:

Pretty close to it but die rolls still have a massive say in the result! PotE is skill based and you need to have some general direction at the start of the game but need to adapt if anything you required is not available.

We've been over this ground before and counter-arguments have been made, and you don't seem be willing to address or even acknowledge those arguments. I think people have enough information at this point to figure out if your claims hold any water, so I'll bid this thread adieu.

Edit in: And I note his reply still doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.